Experts predict Comair may be sold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FDJ2 said:
DAL pays the debt on the RJs. It's in the SEC filing. The total payments for 2004 will be approximately $500M. Have your VP show you how much they paid DAL for the RJs, because it certainly does not show up in any SEC filing, such as income from aircraft leases.

FDJ2,

We all know that Delta has a "consolidated" financial statement with its subsidiaries ASA and Comair. Therefore, it will show in the SEC filing that the debt is "paid by Delta" simply because there is no other financial statement. ASA and Comair have no independent financial statements.

You are playing a game of smoke and mirrors. The question isn't who does the paying, it is where they get the money to pay. It is generated by the revenue produced by ASA and Comair and not only that, there is some left over to help pay the parent Company's bills.

It's an exercise in accounting and you know it. Over the last couple of years Delta has lost billions, and right now Delta doesn't generate enough revenue to pay its own expenses, let alone to pay anything for ASA and Comair. The source of the revenue for payment of ASA/CMR expenses comes from ASA/CMR operations.

Before ASA and CMR became subsidiaries of Delta both were highly profitable for extended periods and both paid their own bills, including the leases of aircraft, which both "purchased" with their own money. Unless Delta management did something to convert them into losing enterprises, their is no logical reason to assume that they can't pay for themselves without Delta's help, just as they did before. Your arguements are specious.

"UBS analyst Sam Buttrick pointed out Delta doesn't need to own the airlines to continue using them to connect to points around the country. Delta could contract with Atlantic Southeast and Comair as it did before buying them. "

"The economic benefit could be maintained without maintaining the equity position," he said.

These self appointed "experts" on whose every word you are willing to hang your hat have a reason for advocating what they do. They have an agenda and it is called self-interest. Should DAL sell ASA and CMR, it will give them new accounts to analyze and draw charts, and make pronouncements about, which in turn will enhance their own exchequers. If analysts were right more often than wrong, we would all be wealthy investors.

You and the other DL advocates of sale have a self-interest as well. You think the money from a sale will somehow improve your own position.

What logical reason would Delta use to justify the sale of ASA and CMR, both of which produce profits for Delta, so that it can pay the money it gets to Delta pilots who currently are not generating any profit? It makes no sense.

When the company has successfully reorganized its overall operations and returned the DAL unit to profitability, that will be the time to consider the spin off of profitable subsidiaries.

When you're in financial crisis you retain assets and reduce liabilities, not the other way around. I understand you guys have your agenda and that's fine. Nevertheless a little more objectivity wouldn't hurt when trying to make your point.

Re: Re: Re: Shiddriver

surplus1 said:
Which companies are you talking about when you say you don't think it would be in their interest? Are you talking about JBlue/CMR or DAL/CMR?

The Jetblue -Comair thing. Just don't see how that would benefit anybody.

Regional Jets

Well is not Jetblue going to employ a bunch of regional jets in the future. This would give them an instant workforce, etc.

Now I do not think it would happen but was trying to point out that someone like Airtran or Jetblue or the new Virgin offering could in fact purchase one of the regionals and have an instant feed etc.

Jet Blue is NOT going to employ "regional jets". They are taking the Emb 190/195 airframe. It is not a RJ. It is a coast to coast, .82 airplane with 100 seats. It is not an RJ. As far as the Pilot group, it is just another type at the company. Same pilot list.
Would be just like if you flew a 757 at UAL and bid over to the A-320. Different pay is all.

Surplus, regarding your last post. That is exactly what what I am thinking/saying. I just used less words. This is not even an issue worth talking about.

I would love for ASA and Comair to be sold to JB. Oh please, oh please, oh please!

I won't ever happen, but we would be better off under their management rather than DAL's mismanagement.

NO COMAIR/ASA SELLOFF, ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Excerpt: Delta CEO resolute on pilot wage cuts (No spin-offs)
The Cincinnati Enquirer 4-24-04

After the meeting, Grinstein shot down the possibility of spinning off regional subsidiaries Comair (based in Erlanger) or Atlantic Southeast Airlines to raise more cash.

"Comair and ASA are valuable assets," Grinstein said. "The price you would sell them for would be what kind of contract you would give for service ... and you would be tying yourself into a long-term obligation.

"It would seem to me to be counterproductive, so we would rather keep them in the role they are in - providing feed for the network."
View complete article at http://www.enquirer.com/editions/20...iz_delta24.html

Sure, Grinstein is also willing to run the company into bankruptcy to change the mainline pilot contract... Is he related to Lorenzo?

I guess Bethune was a BUFFOON for spinning off Continental Express...

surplus1 said:
FDJ2,

We all know that Delta has a "consolidated" financial statement with its subsidiaries ASA and Comair. Therefore, it will show in the SEC filing that the debt is "paid by Delta" simply because there is no other financial statement. ASA and Comair have no independent financial statements.

You are playing a game of smoke and mirrors. The question isn't who does the paying, it is where they get the money to pay. It is generated by the revenue produced by ASA and Comair and not only that, there is some left over to help pay the parent Company's bills.

How do you know? If as you say our financial statements are consolidated, which I agree they are to a large extent, how do you know how much revenue ASA and CMR produced and how do you know what ASA and CMR's costs are? Exactly how much revenue did CMR produce last quarter and exactly what did CMR pay in costs?

Delta chief financial officer Michele Burns said Delta pays for all but operational costs for a Comair passenger, with such costs including the debt for new airplanes, marketing and distribution and other costs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back