• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Exceeding limitations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you 100%. This nitwit I flew with in Meridian Ms thought the overspeed warning was an equip glich. Would tell the pax that. Also he never could understand why when we came barreling out of altitude was the airspeed indicator would suddendly "jump" and the overspeed warning started blaring below 10K. I tried to explain it but it just pissed him off.WARP SPEED!!
el
AngelKing said:
Usually when somene does things like pulling cbs to go faster, they usually do other unsafe things as well, like busting minimums,etc.

ak

It sounds to me like a simple addition to the descent checklist ought to suffice:

OVERSPEED WARNING HORN.................CHECK, OCCASIONALLY

What are his initials ? I may know him.
flyboydk said:
The problem is that this guy is the boss. And from what I've seen he's not the type to take criticism very well. I could give numerous examples of times he's been completely wrong about something while we were flying and he wouldn't admit it. For instance, on that same flight, we were assigned an altitude on the arrival coming through the class bravo... he was hand flying, then he thought he set the autopilot, but he didn't hit altitude hold, so the plane starts a slow climb. I said "hey, we're climbing" when we were about 50 feet high. He says "No we're not, the autopilot's on". By that time we are 100 feet high and I'm starting to push the nose over. I tell him he never set the autopilot and he said he was watching the VSI and it never said we were climbing so he thought we were OK. By this time I'm pissed off, I wanted to yell something like "why the *@!# are you just sitting there staring at the VSI when your altimeter and my altimeter are indicating a climb?!?!" If he was an instrument student from my flight instructing days I would have given him a good lecture on instrument scans once we got on the ground. I'm not saying I'm a perfect pilot but this guy has a lot of hours and I'm starting to wonder how he lasted this long without at least a few violations. So I guess I need to keep my eyes open for another job, because I don't think talking to him is going to help anything.

Filing an ASRS report is pointless - pulling circuit breakers in order to be able to go fast isn't an inadvertant and/or unintentional act.

'Sled

'Sled:

The filing of an ASRS may or may not protect the PNF (original poster) from enforcement action should the matter come under FAA scrutiny as a result of disclosing this occurance to any outside persons. His decision not to assume command of the aircraft or otherwise correct the exceedance could be viewed as tacit approval of the PFs actions even though the PNF registered his concerns. Several examples of this view are evident in NTSB accident reports.

My suggestion to file the report was based in part on the primary intent of the ASRS program, which is to provide information which might act to the benefit of flight safety. Further, the documentation of the event is necessary in order to preserve it as remembered at the time. So filing the report is simply a way to kill two or three birds with one stone! It is not a solution to the problem at hand. The primary problem for this pilot concerns how he must act in the future. I feel that you, myself and several others have given good advice worthy of his consideration in this matter. He is the one who will have to live with his decisions. We have merely shared with him some constructive input to consider. With this in hand, he is more prepared to take a better informed approach to how he will proceed. I am glad he had the good sense to seek outside opinion on this. It speaks well for his future.

Best,

Intentionally disabling overspeed warnings or purposly exceeding limitations says a WHOLE LOT about how a guy thinks...and people who think like that scare me.

I have flown with a few, all of whom just didn't know any better. They came from jobs where they learned from another dip$hit aviation loser who did the same thing. They had poor mentors and are too F'n stupid to know any better. They also happened to never move up to very good jobs, etc.

Stay safe and move on ASAP. Nature will sort out the morons.

Limitations

Never with intent exceed the aircraft or your limitations,if it is without intent correct it !!

If you do not do this there will be a NTSB report about your crash one day.

Mobie

Hey flyboy;

I really sympathize with you and I think maybe I used to fly with this Captain Di**head that you speak of. We were flying CE-650's and he would overspeed the aircraft and pull the CB, ignore ATC headings to fly, you name it. A real a**wipe. He could not be trusted or relied upon. These are just to name a few of the things this jerk pulled. I talked to the boss about and he told me that he "entrusted him (this idiot) to a 5 million dollar jet and he could conduct himself in anyway that he saw fit". When I informed them that I would no longer fly with this loser I became the focus of company attention. I think that the best thing you could do is look for another job tomorrow. Forget about what you have now. It aint worth dying for.

Cub

Charter Dog and Lead Sled speak the truth. Heed their words.
Your a$$ and career are on the line. Take the necessary action.

As I understand it, VMO is frequently established at a certain percentage(90%?) of the speed that flight control flutter(e.g.-aileron flutter) is first encountered. There are other reasons for setting VMO but control surfaces ripping off inflight has certainly got to be a very important one. This guy is playing fast and loose with your health and well-being. Get another job.

If you do take it to the owner, best have proof. Do you have a cameraphone? Can you borrow one? A photo of the IAS indicator and the "popped" CB might prove handy to have.

Latest resources

Back