Exceeding limitations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboydk

Does anyone know how bad exceeding redline on a citation has the potential to be? For example, redline at 292 knots and you have it at 300 knots for about 5 or 10 minutes... is it just minor or is there a good chance at structural damage after a little while? I just flew with this guy who kept pulling the overspeed warning circuit breaker, I would keep saying "watch your speed" when he got over redline, not trying to be annoying to him but at the same time I didn't want to run into some good turbulence and watch the plane fall apart... so on our descent he just stopped listening to me and kept it at 300-305 knots most of the way down. I don't think it was safe, wondering what people out there with more experience think.

I take it a 500? I don't think there is any inspection.

I know the XL is different though because of the moving tail. Which only moves during flap movement but its still an inspection of some sort. (i was told my mx never flew it.)

There is a certain fudge factor built in aircraft. But that is to cover situations outside the the engineer's imagination, not the 'captain' in a hurry to get a piece of a$$. Intentionally going over limitations is for emergency situations ONLY.

This guy's ego is writing checks his body can't cash!

Seriously, tell him you would appreciate it if he would not intentionally exceed the limiting airspeeds. (first be sure it is not just an indication difference between the two ASIs) If he does not agree to this, you have little choice but to decline further flights with this individual. It is up to you how you will explain to the bosses why you will not be able to fly with this individual. I would also file an ASRS report and retain a copy for my records. Whether you use this document for any other purpose is also up to you. My personal opinion is that this matter must be disclosed to the owners or operators of the aircraft if this pilot is to continue operating it in this manner. If you have to pay a price for it, so be it. Balance that against the consequences of saying nothing. Nobody likes a tattle tale, but how will they like you if you knew but said nothing before the crash?

Obviously, the best outcome would be to bring about a change in behavior in this individual by reasoning with him. If this is not possible by talking to him about it, or by getting someone else to help, then you have little choice after exhausting these "gentler" alternatives but to refuse to fly with him and disclose your reasons to the ownership in written form. In any case, do not allow this to happen again. This apparent compulsion to exceed limitations may be indicative of a larger pattern of behavior which might get somebody hurt. Make sure it isn't you. Let your conscience be your guide in what you do beyond that.

I don't know anything about the high speed flight regime of the Citation, so I cannot advise you on the overspeed characteristics of this type. I wonder if this "captain" can. Just don't allow it to occur with you on board.

I don't envy you this situation and I hope you can find a way to resolve it without the necessity to resort to bringing others into the issue. But do what you must to resolve it.

Best,

Last edited:
It really sux when people do such things, but it is time for you to bring out your leadership skills. A little private chat on the ground before the next flight.

Rick1128 said:
There is a certain fudge factor built in aircraft. But that is to cover situations outside the the engineer's imagination, not the 'captain' in a hurry to get a piece of a$$. Intentionally going over limitations is for emergency situations ONLY.
I once had a Chief Pilot tell us (in a flight department meeting)... "There is enough safety margin built into the performance charts so that we can safely ignore them." [Note: I no longer work there.] Evidently, you're a young guy at the beginning of your career. I'm a bit older and have (hopefully) another 8 to 10 years left in me. There is nothing to be gained and potientially everything to lose by flying outside of the envelope. We can and do take it safely to the edge, but never beyond - that's what they pay us the big bucks for. Pulling circuit breakers to get another few knots? The guy is a real fool for doing it and an idiot if he thinks that the extra 10 knots indicated is saving anyone anything - time or money. You shouldn't be flying with fools and/or idiots - it's not good for your long-term career prospects. Just my opinion.

'Sled

Last edited:
Having flown a few hours in flight test and consequently spent hours in discussions with flight test engineers...exceeding limitations especially airspeed / mach etc. will buy you a quick (yes even in a Citation) trip to the end of your carreer and a very pleasant story about you sad short life in the obituary column.

The required margins that are tested during certification are actually very small, and if a manufacturer can get the airplane to legally (structual / certification limits or whatever) go faster they will move that redline up. Test pilots get paid good money to expand envelopes, and it is done under very controlled situations.

Best advice has been already given...document the problem...and if nobody higher up responds...exit the premises.

Latest resources

Back