Exceeding limitations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
charter dog said:
...I would also file an ASRS report and retain a copy for my records. Whether you use this document for any other purpose is also up to you...
Filing an ASRS report is pointless - pulling circuit breakers in order to be able to go fast isn't an inadvertant and/or unintentional act.

'Sled

AngelKing said:
Usually when somene does things like pulling cbs to go faster, they usually do other unsafe things as well, like busting minimums,etc.

ak

My thought exactly!

Last edited:
It would be hard to add to the quality advice already given. Do a soul search, tighten up the neck tie, and show your professionalism with your actions. An old pilot once relayed to me that "Reckless" is when you're consciously aware of the danger and you choose to ignore it. Enough said....

Good luck.

First of all, I agree with everyone above that exceeding limitations is stupid, and you should find someone else to fly with.

I think I can shed a little light on Citations specifically, at least the old ones. The original Citations (the 500) had a Vmo up in the 280-300 knot range. Then, I believe due to birdstrike issues, the Vmo on the 501s and 550s was reduced to 262.

This reduction led some people to believe that if there were no birds around (at least until you hit one), it was okay to pull the breaker and do 280 in your 262 Vmo Citation, since that used to be the limit.

I suspect this rationalization got handed down over the years, and may have been distorted.

Either way, it's a bad idea.

So he was doing 300 with a 292 redline. Why would you exceed it to go 8 knots faster and risk some bad stuff happening. If redline was 292 and he pulled the breaker to cruise up in the 350 range that would make a bit more sense, although still dangerous no matter what. But 8 knots, come on, deal with the limitations and the 8 knots difference. Does your company have an incapacitated crew member plan? If we make three statements to the other pilot and they dont respond then we can assume they are incapacitated and take over the aircraft. Try that and if he yells at you tell him you thought he was incapacitated since he didnt respond.

The problem is that this guy is the boss. And from what I've seen he's not the type to take criticism very well. I could give numerous examples of times he's been completely wrong about something while we were flying and he wouldn't admit it. For instance, on that same flight, we were assigned an altitude on the arrival coming through the class bravo... he was hand flying, then he thought he set the autopilot, but he didn't hit altitude hold, so the plane starts a slow climb. I said "hey, we're climbing" when we were about 50 feet high. He says "No we're not, the autopilot's on". By that time we are 100 feet high and I'm starting to push the nose over. I tell him he never set the autopilot and he said he was watching the VSI and it never said we were climbing so he thought we were OK. By this time I'm pissed off, I wanted to yell something like "why the *@!# are you just sitting there staring at the VSI when your altimeter and my altimeter are indicating a climb?!?!" If he was an instrument student from my flight instructing days I would have given him a good lecture on instrument scans once we got on the ground. I'm not saying I'm a perfect pilot but this guy has a lot of hours and I'm starting to wonder how he lasted this long without at least a few violations. So I guess I need to keep my eyes open for another job, because I don't think talking to him is going to help anything.

Just make fun of him. "Wow, Bob. That 8 knots will get us there a whole 1 minute faster." All while giving him this look: :rolleyes:

May be a little heavy handed, but if you have the confidence of the aircraft OWNER you might want to let him know that his EMPLOYEE is putting his ASSET at risk by exceeding the manufactures LIMITATIONS ....

Let him know that you are telling him this because it makes you uncomfortable to fly an airplane outside its design limits. Be ready to have a Cessna tech to immediately talk to the aircraft owner and explain the aircraft limitations and why they are in place.

In mean time ... look for a new job.

Good luck ... you will need it. :)

Last edited:
smoking hole waiting to happen, what an idiot. You should get him some NTSB reports of the guys that pulled the over speed warning CB on the old lears. Hitting the ground going 30,000 feet per minute cant be comfortable.

I unintentionaly hit the barber pole in our Hawker. Horn sounded. It is a loud horn. Immediately took corrective action. A passenger heard the horn and got concerned about his safety. Big boss assigned me to the right seat until further notice. Were we unsafe, no, but perception is a great deal of this game. Not a good idea to exceed limitations. Do it on purpose, bad. Enough said.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back