Everyone Get Comfortable At Your Regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
House Approves Change to the Upper Age Limit

Language reflects ALPA Executive Board Resolution.
December 11, 2007

The U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation this evening that would raise the pilot mandatory retirement age to 65 by a unanimous vote of 390-0. The measure, introduced by House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar (D-Minn.), is identical to the language already included in the House and Senate Transportation Appropriations conference report, which is now ensnared in the larger, unrelated fight over completing this year’s spending bills. “I salute Chairman Oberstar and his colleagues for this bold step,” said Capt. John Prater, ALPA’s president. “The legislation passed by the House of Representatives is consistent with ALPA’s Executive Board resolution that is designed to protect the interests of airline pilots and this Association.”
Instrumental in achieving passage of the legislation were House Aviation Subcommittee Chairman Jerry Costello (D-Ill.) and committee members Rep. Robin Hayes (R-N.C.) and Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.).
The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act, H.R.4343, was introduced this morning and placed on the House suspension calendar, which is a special procedure used to speed up action by setting aside the regular rules of order and requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage of legislation.
In addition to allowing Part 121 airline pilots to fly up to age 65, H.R.4343 will clarify non-retroactivity, provide sufficient liability protection for unions, prohibit unilateral changes to labor agreements and benefit plans, eliminate the over/under split for domestic operations, and make the rule change effective as of the date the legislation is enacted.
The Senate will now have to decide whether to bring the measure up under their own procedural motion, known as unanimous consent, in which a legislative matter is considered agreed to if no Senator on the floor objects. The Senate has already once before unanimously approved the language of H.R.4343 in the form of the Stevens amendment during debate of the Transportation Appropriations bill on September 11.

This will undoubtably create a nice slow down of major airlines' hiring plans. So sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay at whatever regional you currently call home.

It has not passed the senate (yet) Write your senators. They all have webpages you can google.

It would be a real shame if FOs started writing up these elderly Captains for every little mistake they make. A real shame....
;)

Everybody repeat after me: "Here's a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal for you Captain, my treat. They were out of diet so I got you a regular Coke instead. There's also plenty of salt on those fries."

I am no more happy about the age 65 deal than anybody- completely screws anyone that isn't a widebody captain now. This may actually worsten the pilot shortage in the long run though- many may see this as a deterrent to getting into aviation. It's simply putting a chewing gum patch in the proverbial crack of the dam.

Regarding the dieting deal and not caring if anyone medicals out or not- Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do to take care of your body. What can you eat to keep your eyes from slipping up as you age? Also, you can get cancer from breathing fresh, clean air.......Diabetes is heredetary.....Need I say more? It isn't like our lifestyle is tollerant to any semblance of normalcy, or good health. I barely have time to eat, let alone eat well while on a trip.

I am guessing no REAL slow down in hiring, but it may not speed up either. I am thinking the bulk of the shockwave induced by this will be over in two years.

With them upping the age to 65yrs old, a lot of the "younger" FOs are gonna have to baby sit the age 60-65 captain. A lot can happen to the body and mind in that 5 year time frame. I am totally against flying past age 60. A lot of the guys I talk to that are getting close to age 60 dont want to fly past it. Hey, if you need to fly past age 60.. thats what the fractionals are for.

Careful with using that word "babysit"...if the company figures they can pay you babysitter wages you'll be making about $2.50/hr...good thing FO's don't "babysit" Captains...if an FO is fortunate enough to sit to the right of a Captain with 40 years of airline experience he or she should view it as a learning experience and not waste it trying to "one-up" the "old" guy or girl...and for the record, by the time I hit 60, I'll want out for sure!

No one has to baby sit me.

I dont know if anyone has ever heard this before:

"Once a man twice a baby"

Same goes if pilots fly to age 65. When they first started out they had to be baby sat by a more experienced pilot, now when they hit age 60-65 and they aren't very sharp anymore they are gonna have to be baby sat again.

But anyways eagle, hows that 7year upgrade going?

Man, aren't you hot under all those "blanket" statements? Ask the folks on UAL 232 how competent they thought Al Haynes was when he saved all of their lives...word has it that EVERY crew the instructors put thru that sim scenario afterwards lost the aircraft...younger crews, I might add...age 65 should be on a case-by-case basis although we all know that it won't be because the companies won't give up the $$ involved to have it that way...

Man, aren't you hot under all those "blanket" statements? Ask the folks on UAL 232 how competent they thought Al Haynes was when he saved all of their lives...word has it that EVERY crew the instructors put thru that sim scenario afterwards lost the aircraft...younger crews, I might add...age 65 should be on a case-by-case basis although we all know that it won't be because the companies won't give up the $$ involved to have it that way...

It was a check airman from the back of the airplane that ultimately landed the thing- and figured out how to fly it with the throttles only. He wasn't seated because he was leaning over the pedestal flying and died in the crash. Al haines said "I've got it", moved the yolk full to one side, and figured out it really wasn't working- just like the FO that was flying said.

Latest resources

Back