Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ever get Turned or Slowed for The "Love Machine"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This thread is important. ATC shouldn't be giving one airline an advantage over another. Period. End of story!

They don't rajflyboy. Your perception may be that they do but the facts prove you wrong every second of the year. Period. End of story. Thanks for playing.

We do AM's or PM's - very rare to reverse sleep schedules. I think it keeps us safer and much more productive.

You need some mid-trip redeyes like AA. WAY safer than keeping your circadian rhythm going.

:rolleyes:
TC

Well I have a worse story than all of you, so there!

Flying the BE-1900 going into BGR late one night, 20 miles out approach informs us we will be following a heavy MD-11 (World Airways) that is at our 8 o'clock position and 20 miles. Yes folks, we were following the MD-11 that was BEHIND US BY 20 MILES. At 15 miles out they slowed us to 'slowest practical speed' as we were faster by 40 knots. At ten miles we were given about ten miuntes of delay vectors so the heavy could get in front of us. Then on final we were given the 'caution wake turbulence" warning. Yeah, thanks buddy, we could have been in the hotel by the time that guy landed if you had just let us go in.

Did you have the entire flick in your B1900? Is it possible said MD-11 was in some sort of distress. Hydraulic issues or any other issues. As a controller I see this time and time again, a plane comes in with a problem and period point blank that airplane will not be going around under any circumstances. The majority of the time these little emergencies don't require crash and rescue equipment, its just basically this airplane is sick and needs to land asap so we accommodate that request and we usually don't broadcast to the world there is an issue.

Working at ORD we don't get SWA but I can assure you that controllers know their players. I know what airlines I can bang out in a tight gap and I know the ones I can't. They don't send us pizza's or any other favors. The favors they give me is having one less airplane on the airport. Some pilots will roll from the taxi way, others have to slowly and I mean slowly line up the plane, have the takeoff clnc and sit there for 30secs in position before they roll. If you are going to do that, and its fine, but if your going to do that Im going to bang out the other guys in the tight gaps and you are going to wait. Im not putting you in the air along with the go around and pass the buck to departure.

Sorry but they DO. I have seen it hundreds of times myself.

That's it. You have me convinced. From now on if I hear that someone is going to be slowed, held, or any other inconvenience from ATC I'm gonna tell my Captain to plead with the controller not to have my fellow professional aviator slowed.
I'll tell him about you. This rajflyboy who gets his panties in a bind every trip he flies because he gets slowed for SWA. Hate to see your blood pressure rise or ruin your day.
Now that you have me convinced will you please promise not to ever start such a stupid thread again? I've seen some dumb ones before, but this one is in the top 10.

Sorry but they DO. I have seen it hundreds of times myself.

We don't... I've been vectored to let others in front of me hundreds of times. I held for nearly 5 minutes in MKE the other day so a DL could get in front of me on departure.

Heck, I've gone around 5 times in the last few years because ATC thoughtfully put a Citation (once it was a Lear) in front of us (after vectoring us all over the place, wondering why we were catching up with him at our assigned speed). Every time was more than 5 miles separation at first, and I slowed to min approach as soon as I knew what we were following. If they don't get you with the 90kt approach starting 15 miles out, they get you by spending 5 minutes on the runway after landing.

If you fly these kinds of airplanes, then look in the mirror or thank your buddies because THAT'S the main reason they (usually) put WN (or pretty much any other airline) in front of you.

Latest resources

Back