• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eurpoean Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds good Eurotrash... Dont wake me up at 5 AM again though !!! ;) I will be in AMS this December for a few days to drink a few cold ones with ya.

Last edited:
First of all, my info may be dated, when I last looked into this it was about 7 years ago. Things certainly may have changed.

There may be an agreement now that your FAA licenses would be

.... an FAA license?
.... 2 bucks worth ?
.... printed in Oklahoma?
.... The biggest mistake ever ?
.... not good enough to get ya laid?
.... good enough to use overseas?

Last edited:
double post.

Last edited:
Sorry about that,

I was saying that things may have changed and your FAA licenses may be accepted there, or you may have to take written tests to get them transferred. At the time I was looking that wasn't the case and you were basically required to go through all commercial and ATP type training all over again. The only thing that was accepted was your private pilot license.

Things change, if you could get a flying gig over there it would be great fun. I sure had fun living there and would do so again if given the opportunity.

I also know some Americans flying in Europe, however, they were flying for crew leasing companies, not for the airlines themselves.

I will still stick by my assertation that it is easier for a European Pilot to come fly in the US than it is for a US pilot to go fly in Europe (unless of course you are married to a local national).

First of all, my info may be dated, when I last looked into this it was about 7 years ago. Things certainly may have changed...There may be an agreement now that your FAA licenses would be.

No, things haven’t changed. Many rules and procedures have changed within EU itself in order to “harmonize” the different EU member states’ rules. However, you’ve always been able to use your FAA license for the first 12 months no matter what, at least for the last 15 years which is the first time I checked into it.

It is also true that occasionally a European airline will sponsor a work permit which can eventually be exchanged for an EU permanent residency ~green card. I've never heard of a US airline doing the same, have you? In the US you must have a permanent residency before you apply for an airline job, not the other way around.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just that the rules on both sides of the pond are very similar.

Of course, EU doesn’t offer a routine amnesty to illegal aliens the way US tends to do every 10 years or so.:puke:

I will still stick by my assertation that it is easier for a European Pilot to come fly in the US than it is for a US pilot to go fly in Europe (unless of course you are married to a local national).

...and I will stick to my assertion that there’s no significant difference except the language requirement which eliminates 95% of applicants from the US. Lufthansa wants you to be fluent in German no matter what; Alitalia wants you to speak Italian, etc. So I guess you’re correct that it is easier for a European pilot to fly for a European airline but ONLY if he/she speaks the local language.

Training is a different matter; they’re very heavy on “ground school” portion over there whether in the US more attention is paid to the actual flying. I guess ideally a combination of the two would be ideal but personally I tend to favor the US way of learning…

However, once you reach the ATP level, as far as getting an airline job, I’d say percentage wise you’ll find way more American pilots flying overseas (including EU) than you’ll find foreigners flying in the US. There are just so many more pilots (and pilot jobs) in the US versus other parts of the world.

Last edited:
And the US shouldnt offer amnesty. What signal gives that to the rest of Mexico, plus all those willing to jump thru the legal hoops ?

El pobre -

No offence taken buddy. Just messing a little bit with ya.

Please explain. As a EU citizen and legal, tax paying god fearing alien in the US I would love to here more about this..... Would love to find out how I could have saved myself 20K. (other then getting married sooner)

Last edited:
And the US shouldnt offer amnesty. What signal gives that to the rest of Mexico, plus all those willing to jump thru the legal hoops ?

Couldn't agree with you more and I'm in the shoes as you're by the way. Almost wish I had flown into Mexico and jumped the fence; no telling how much money (a.k.a. credit card debt) and time I'd have saved! :angryfire

Would love to find out how I could have saved myself 20K.

Yeah, I'd like to find that out as well? Please enlighten us. Except I'd have saved way more than 20K. :(

Guess we will never find out...

Well, the language barrier should be no problem for me getting a job with KLM. I speak english almost as well as most Dutch I've met... ;)

Can we not tone down the jingoistic rhetoric a little? You can't bitch about open skies on one thread and how difficult it is to get hired in the EU on another.

What we need is more open communication and less trashing. (AND, more KLM FA's laying over at the same hotels we do! :D ) TC

Latest resources

Back