Eurpoean Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

Does anybody know of a website where there is a list of European Airlines, with minimum hiring qual's, etc? Kind of like airlinepilotcentral.com but for other countries.

Thanks

Does anybody know of a website where there is a list of European Airlines, with minimum hiring qual's, etc? Kind of like airlinepilotcentral.com but for other countries.

Thanks

Not sure, but they probably require you to spell European correctly.

you do need the JAAR and rigth to work there. on top of that if you are from the country the sirlne is from is an uphill battle.

I looked at doing it a while ago. Your FAA licenses are worthless and you have to get JAAR stuff. It was going to require alot of basic flight training (that you've already probably done) and was going to be VERY expensive. Also, there were some issues with being an American. If you have some claim to EU citizenship, you would have a good chance of being hired...If you didn't or weren't married to a European it will be a very uphill battle.

However, if you are European and you want to work at a US airline...no problem....come on over.

I looked at doing it a while ago. Your FAA licenses are worthless and you have to get JAAR stuff. It was going to require alot of basic flight training (that you've already probably done) and was going to be VERY expensive. Also, there were some issues with being an American. If you have some claim to EU citizenship, you would have a good chance of being hired...If you didn't or weren't married to a European it will be a very uphill battle.

However, if you are European and you want to work at a US airline...no problem....come on over.

Interesting, I have a friend who flies for a small pax/cargo charter outfit out of Holland and Belgium. He’s been there for almost three years, and he said it was very easy to apply and the first year he used his FAA license. After 12 month he took a revalidation test of some kind which he said was not that difficult. Now, he had an ATP which made it easier; with a commercial license only he’d have to take several tests. Additionally I know of at least 2 US citizens (born and raised in the US) who became permanent residents of SWE or Denmark, not sure, and are flying for SAS. I think the reason there are so few US pilots you see in Europe is that most of the airlines over there, not all, require you to be fluent in their native tongue, for example Lufthansa – German, Iberia – Spanish, etc. Additionally, airline market in Europe is much smaller than in the US. It’s growing but it’s still much smaller which means fewer jobs available. That’s just my take on it…

Last edited:
If you're married to a EU citizen and have or are willing to pay for a 737 rating, you can get hired at Ryanair. (I'm sure there's more to it but I'm too lazy to look up the post on another site. I just know I'm not elgiable.) TC

Not true. If you are a european you also have to have the right to work in the US. Only two ways to accomplice that, get married or win the lottery. The first option is open to US citizens also that want to gain the right to work in the EUR. Indeed the second option, the lottery does not exist in EUR countries.

The JAA licences are indeed a big deal, however don't discount the problems you would have as a EUR citizen getting through all the required checks you would have to pass to get hired at a major airline in the US ( FAA training records, 4 yr college degree, yes even driving records).

If you are a EUR citizen and got your flight training in a EUR country and after getting the licenses you would desire to work for a US airline. This would be near impossible. You would have to legally immigrate, but on what basis?

Really, the only foreigners that work for US airlines are guys that went to the US on a student visa to get flight training, then got married (or won the lottery) got well established in the US system and then got hired.

This option would be open to US guys as well however nobody from the US goes to EUR to get flight training because is much more expensive.

European airlines have in time of great demand hired foreigners though ( inluding US guys). At the two airlines I worked for, both had US pilots. Guys that did not have the right to work initially but because the company could prove they needed them could get sponsored right to work visa. Even recently Ryan Air advertised in the US, looking for 737 qualified guys. This does not go in the US, at least in the aviation field

Having flown in both continents I have experienced both ways. To be a US guy wanting to work in EUR or vv there are difficulties to overcome.

Please, before you respond and state how much foreigners work at you airline, think about it. They were guys that got their training in the US and then legally gained the right to work in the US (either through marriage or the lottery and once again this option with the exception of the lottery is open to US guys as well) To think that a pilot in EUR, India, China, the middle east or etc,etc could just sit at home and write a resume to Delta or ....etc would ever have a chance to get hired is ridiculous.

El Pobre, to drive the point home, I got my flight training in the US and I got the GC via the lottery, However I let it expire when I went back to the old continent to fly for a major there. Let's say I'm disappointed with my carreer expectations and I would love to get hired by, say for example Delta, could you please pm me how I could do this because they never respond to my resumes as I don't have the legal right to work in the US!!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back