• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERAU on piloting career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA and B6 don't put any emphasis on the degree whatsoever.
I met an SWA captain with a two year degree once, he considered himself lucky to have the job. How did he get in? Simple, he flew for Morris, which SWA bought, and he was transferred in.

What's your thought process on this one?

I've got a couple of friends that are MD's and they do have a "dues paying" process after school like that of a CFI or military pilot who may have to deploy into a warzone. In the end, a Doctor after his mid 30's can usually branch into a lot of directions, one of which is private practice, and these types of operations (assuming the doctor is competant) pay good money, and along side of this many of these doctors are now buying the small office condo's they're running their practices in and building massive wealth and equity along side running a profitable business. All this, and they're off most weekends and can take a vacation at will, being their own boss.

HMO's even pay their doctors in the mid 6 figures, and except for the early years of interning and such, provide a decent work week. One of my HS buddies who I keep in touch with and who lives in Redwood City, CA works for Kaiser as a Orthopedic Surgen and makes in the mid 200's with a 40-45 hour a week work schedule, home very night. He spent 10-12 years building his career after HS between med school, internship, residency, so at age 29 he was working along side a more experienced surgen until he was ready to go it alone.

Now if a guy in his mid 30's can do that? why should a captain of a 777 in his mid 40's or 50's with the years of experience, 6-month checkrides, training, certification, medial probing, security probing and everything else that goes with it now get paid the same?

The Pilots that were in my training program in a 121 carrier almost didn't make it through training.

Oh please. It drives me up the wall when people make blanket statements about a large group of people like that. You should know just as well as I do that pilots aren't a perfect direct result of their training; some pilots have an aptitude for it and some don't. There are crappy ERAU grads just as much as there are excellent ERAU grads. That goes the same for any school, actually.

I mean seriously, I may have my odds and ends with the school even, but I've got plenty of friends and coworkers who have moved off to a regional or cargo operator, and they seem to do just fine.

V70T5 Doctors and pilots being compared as equal! Please that is a whole different thread that has been beat to death years ago. BTW Codoug this guy had no family help what so ever it did it all himself. Single focus out of high school, do anything, go anywhere to build your resume. It is all about flight time

V70T5 Doctors and pilots being compared as equal! Please that is a whole different thread that has been beat to death years ago. BTW Codoug this guy had no family help what so ever it did it all himself. Single focus out of high school, do anything, go anywhere to build your resume. It is all about flight time

Well, that's encouraging to hear. Especially for those who are still in highschool and want to make it their career.

ERAU is the single, biggest waste of money known to man. The only thing ERAU and Harvard have in common is the price tag. The quality of their education is pathetic and most of the professors are little more than real-pilot wannabes who nothing about the industry.

Now if a guy in his mid 30's can do that? why should a captain of a 777 in his mid 40's or 50's with the years of experience, 6-month checkrides, training, certification, medial probing, security probing and everything else that goes with it now get paid the same?

I'll tell you why. Because airline pilots can't charge insurance companies an exorbitant amount of money for a LAX turn! It's a free market and unfortunatly, we sit where we sit. The market has determined our worth. The companies have decided it, and so have we.

But rest assured, as the economy gets better, and as more folks spend more money to travel more, ALPA will come to our rescue and that 777 captain will be back making 285k a year. YEEEE HAAAAA!......OH brother!!

But rest assured, as the economy gets better, and as more folks spend more money to travel more, ALPA will come to our rescue and that 777 captain will be back making 285k a year. YEEEE HAAAAA!......OH brother!!

You don't sound to keen on ALPA there old friend, or am I reading that wrong?

you like seeing guys flying the same Airbus you're on for $65K/yr in the left seat, like over at "SkyBus"? or maybe the new Virgin's $80K?

Heck, I'll bet the free market could get us down to $40K/yr in a 320.. you down for that?

Me, you know me... I'm not in this for the money.. It's about dignity however.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back