• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERAU on piloting career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every large aeronautical university is going to make claims like ERAU has.....

Do you really think someone would pony up $100k if they said the job market sucked right now??????

Oh god, I just knew that I shouldn't have opened this thread.

To the OP: Stop posting. Seriously. I'm a CFI at ERAU, and I can tell you right now that the flight training we give is no better than what you'd get at any other decent school out there. I'm a non-ERAU trained CFI who just so happens to wear an ERAU nametag, so this comes from first-hand experience. Usually the people who claim "ERAU is #1" are the people that were born and raised as pilots at ERAU and haven't been elsewhere.

Seriously dude, don't drink the kool-aid. You're embarassing all of us.

The value of an unused four dgree in the job market is greatly over rated. How many pilots with four year degrees have had the experience of becoming unemployed after being out of school 20-25 years, you will find your degree does not open many doors, expect those jobs such as "Apartment complex manager, college degree prefered". I have posted many times, if you want to be a pilot, you fly airplanes, if you feel the degree is required to get hired at DAL or FedEx, do your degree on teh side while logging Turbo Jet PIC, BTW V70T5, I am a retired reservist, I only wish it was that big.

Get your degree

The value of an unused four dgree in the job market is greatly over rated. How many pilots with four year degrees have had the experience of becoming unemployed after being out of school 20-25 years, you will find your degree does not open many doors, expect those jobs such as "Apartment complex manager, college degree prefered". I have posted many times, if you want to be a pilot, you fly airplanes, if you feel the degree is required to get hired at DAL or FedEx, do your degree on teh side while logging Turbo Jet PIC, BTW V70T5, I am a retired reservist, I only wish it was that big.

The value of a 4 year degree is not only extremely important in being competitive in today's market, it's also is important in bettering yourself and becoming a more educated and well rounded citizen.

And you are completely wrong on the concept of a 4 year degree not being necessary after 20-25 years after being out of school. It's not the fact you can use your degree with the same level of knowledge that you possessed when you graduated, it's the fact you can put that on your resume when the employment you're looking for says "4 year degree HIGHLY preferred" like FDX, CAL, SWA, B6, UPS, etc...

I was a biology major from the Air Force Academy, and I couldn't tell you half the stuff about physiology that I had learned when I was fresh out of school. But when I filled out my app for CAL and it says what is your educational experience - being able to put 4 Year Degree drastically improves your chances for that all important interview phone call.

Bingo. No need to drop big $$$ at ERAU, UND, ect....... Flight time gets you in the door, not a 4 yr degree. Build your hours while getting the degree on the side. Turbine PIC is more valuable when applying for a job than a degree.

when the employment you're looking for says "4 year degree HIGHLY preferred" like FDX, CAL, SWA, B6, UPS, etc...

SWA and B6 don't put any emphasis on the degree whatsoever.

SWA and B6 don't put any emphasis on the degree whatsoever.

OK, we'll take it one step further. Say you have two candidates with similiar qual's and backgrounds and both seem to be good guys, or as they say at SWA "Fit the culture." One has a 4 year degree from a good school, the other has an associates degree or maybe even no degree whatsoever. Which one will be hired? Again - they are both equivalent pilots...

I know the answer to this one, and I think you do too. I fly with 2 B6 320 Cpt's in my unit as well as 2 SWA F/O's and had a peer just interview with SWA a couple of months earlier. You never know when that 4 year degree will give you that little extra push to beat out that one other guy for the last spot in a class.

Is PIC (turbine PIC mind you) matter? Of course - we all know that! Is having a 4 year degree important as well? You bet it is!

Still a great career, no need for a college degree, there is a growing pilot shortage. This will accelerate as the hiring boom continues to grow. $100K/yr is a very doable figure for pilot who is a high school grad, as I said still a great career.

What would you say is your favorite flavor of coolaide?

Every large aeronautical university is going to make claims like ERAU has.....

Do you really think someone would pony up $100k if they said the job market sucked right now??????

Your kidding right? People do it ALL THE TIME! How about all the Gulfstreamers? The people that go to Pan Am? ATP? etc. Thats exactly why they are trumping up the story. They are trying to get more and more idiots to spend money on this career. These people who pony up that amount of money are blinded by the gliter of being a pilot. They wont listen one bit to the people in the industry saying stay away. How else do you explain the snot faced mesa FO's that will gladly fly a 900 for $19.00 an hour? Oh wait, my bad. They get to fly a JET. . . . wow.

Not to mention that it is programs like this that are absolutely killing our careers. These places have just taken the bartending school model and turned it into pilot school. Any wonder we have no bargaining power?

ERAU has been around since 1926. This is a little shameful advertising.

Latest resources

Back