ERAU...Master Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kneeshoe said:
I've heard that if you are a CFI at Embry-Riddle, they let you do your masters classes for free. The only problem is that you can only do it part time while being a full time instructor and the masters program may take a while.

That's basically the deal that I have worked out here, although technically I am both instructing full-time and a full-time graduate student.

-Goose

bvt1151 said:
Masters courses are typically around $3-400 per credit. I'd suggest doing an extended campus since online degrees don't carry as much weight.

Completely wrong. A degree from an accredited institution is a degree. Amost all major colleges and universities these days offer distance learning opportunities. I'll tell you something else... As a manager in a large corporation, I'll certainly give favorable consideration to someone who comes in with a degree that they earned while working full time, whether it be in the classroom or online. I've personally taken classes in both formats, and I'll tell you the online curriculum is no joke. In fact, I found it to be more challenging.

Bottom line, online is just as acceptable.

Is it worth it? I am a pilot and plan on being one as far as my career will allow me to. Would a Masters helpout? I looked into some online Aviation MBA programs which would be good for my knowledge but is it really gonna make a difference anyway in my career? I almost want to say no but who knows. Also, I took my CFI ride with our 141 DE b/c the FSDO was too backed up. I got lucky.

RichardRambone said:
Is it worth it? I am a pilot and plan on being one as far as my career will allow me to. Would a Masters helpout?

I don't know if a masters on its own is necessarily going to rapidly advance your professional pilot career, but I will mention a few things..
- education never hurt anyone;
- it will be something that can further differentiate you from others;
- it might be something a corporate flight department would look more favorably on;
- look at different masters options.. maybe an MBA?

kneeshoe said:
I've heard that if you are a CFI at Embry-Riddle, they let you do your masters classes for free. The only problem is that you can only do it part time while being a full time instructor and the masters program may take a while.
Instructors are staff, and staff get to take free classes to some extent.

Thank you very much guys.All the suggestions were very helpfull to me.By the way,i live and work in NY,thats why im trying to find any easy ways to get a degree. As for the CFI,the Farmingdale FSDO,except that you have to wait up to 6 months to take your checkride,the passing rate is only 17%. I dont think i want to do it here.. Any other suggestions welcome.

Yea I agree with U about that ol Farmingdale FSDO....those guys definetely got a chip on their shoulders when it comes to doing their CFI examination.....I recommend a DPE out in Jersey by the name of Bob Brodwater, He's tough but very fair...Also I've heard some other folks getting better luck up at the Albany FSDO

semperfido said:
i completed the master of aeronautical science degree from erau distance learning program. i think it was a good quality program. paid for by my employer (best kind). it has probably helped my career somewhat, but it is hard to quantify. i would recommend the program. A very nice feature of the program is that it is self paced and self motivated. you won't complete it unless you have discipline. good thing to do on the road for sure.:)

Please don't take this wrong because I am not trying to flame or start an argument, but I am curious what a "master of aeronautical science degree" gets you. Is that like an MBA with aviation focus or a Masters in Management with an aviation focus. How does industry look at it?

I am asking because I am working on my MBA at Western Michigan. What if I wanted to become an airport manager, which I assume is where the Riddle degree will get you. Would the Riddle degree help me or does my couple thousand hours of Part 121 experience combined with my MBA put me in the same position? I leaned toward the MBA since it isn't aviation specific, similar to my Electrical Engineering degree.

I am just curious what the Riddle degree gets a person besides an X in the box for Masters degree. I went to Parks so I understand the whole airway science degree is a generic business degree a person who also flies will receive.

I emphasize that I am not trying to knock anyone, I am just trying to validate my path. Four years at one course a semester is a long time.

Thanks.

Avro Drvr,

No problemo. As I said it is difficult to quantify what a Masters Degree gets you, per se. I can tell you that it may help differentiate yourself from the rest of the pack in this competition based world we live in. I went after it because at that time I wanted the challenge and the company would foot the Bill. All I had to do was make an effort and do the work. May not be everyones cup of tea, but it was a challenge for me to complete it that made me want to do it.

A MBA may be even more of a challenge and also more useful. That depends on your personal situation and goals. It is all an individual thing. I am a pilot and my undergraduate is in Aero Science so it fit well for me. The degree program included the usual array of management studies and was very well designed and in my view well thought out, well rounded course of study.

It may not get you anything. I did not do it to get anything ,other than the challenge it provided in it's pursuit. I have always enjoyed the hunt more than anything else, but that's me. You need to work that out on your own. There is no pot of gold at the end.

fido :)

semperfido said:
Avro Drvr,

No problemo. As I said it is difficult to quantify what a Masters Degree gets you, per se. I can tell you that it may help differentiate yourself from the rest of the pack in this competition based world we live in. I went after it because at that time I wanted the challenge and the company would foot the Bill. All I had to do was make an effort and do the work. May not be everyones cup of tea, but it was a challenge for me to complete it that made me want to do it.

A MBA may be even more of a challenge and also more useful. That depends on your personal situation and goals. It is all an individual thing. I am a pilot and my undergraduate is in Aero Science so it fit well for me. The degree program included the usual array of management studies and was very well designed and in my view well thought out, well rounded course of study.

It may not get you anything. I did not do it to get anything ,other than the challenge it provided in it's pursuit. I have always enjoyed the hunt more than anything else, but that's me. You need to work that out on your own. There is no pot of gold at the end.

fido :)

Semperfido,

Thanks for the info. These business classes bore me to tears. I hope I make it through. My company pays for it also so I figured I needed to do something. Free money is hard to turn down. I didn't go for the Master in Electrical Engineering because it looked entirely too painful and would have required a whole lot more work. An MBA seems doable if I can handle listing to the professors drone on and on for hours. Don't get me wrong. I am getting good info but that topics are a bit dry. As with you, I think any Masters degree looks good. It shows dedication and work ethic.

Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back