Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Frmr Avro Drvr said:
Semperfido,

Thanks for the info. These business classes bore me to tears. I hope I make it through. My company pays for it also so I figured I needed to do something. Free money is hard to turn down. I didn't go for the Master in Electrical Engineering because it looked entirely too painful and would have required a whole lot more work. An MBA seems doable if I can handle listing to the professors drone on and on for hours. Don't get me wrong. I am getting good info but that topics are a bit dry. As with you, I think any Masters degree looks good. It shows dedication and work ethic.

Good luck to you.

Roger that. i know the feeling. back at ya:)

Personally, i always wanted to work for NTSB or any other company as an accident investigator. After too much thinking,i decided to start the masters of aeronautical science from erau,with specialization in safety systems or aviation operations. Hopefully the degree together with my CPL will help me..i dont know if im thinking right.If not please tell me before is too late..:)

I finished up my ERAU Master's degree in Aeronautical Science (Operations) in June and did it because knowledge is power...and Uncle Sam paid the bill. I never took an internet class, but the distance learning classes were good. Almost every class consisted of a mid-term, final, paper and presentation, and class attendance/participation. You will find you learn more from the group than from the text..dah..but it was worth while and I now have something to fall back on, other than flying, when my commitment is up if I decide to get out. The value to me was in the challenge, and I would think that an employer would see the commitment/work ethic part as the real value. Any hiring boards/resume folks care to chime in?

Tnkr Pilot said:
The value to me was in the challenge, and I would think that an employer would see the commitment/work ethic part as the real value. Any hiring boards/resume folks care to chime in?

You are correct sir! I'm a technology (app dev) manager in a large corporation, and advanced degrees do go a long way to opening doors, and attaching some credentials to the usual "i'm a hard worker" lines that come through in interviews.

Im looking into a traditional MBA myself, not an aviation one strictly b/c I know that aviation degrees are fun but maybe a slight disadvantage should I have to use it outside aviation. I don't wanna quit my flying but I'd like to pursue my MBA full time as a student, more or less to go to school a couple more years and put off this job business. I can only hope that it does at least differentiate me from the pack and give me some sort of business sense considering the industries status. But as far as helping me get a flight job Im not sure if it would help. Any hiring folks I'd love to hear chime in.

I'm doing the online MBA thing as well, through the University of Texas at Dallas, pretty much for the exact same reasons. I'd look into a program from a reputable school though, nowadays there's ten gazillion online MBA programs.

RichardRambone said:
Im looking into a traditional MBA myself, not an aviation one strictly b/c I know that aviation degrees are fun but maybe a slight disadvantage should I have to use it outside aviation. I don't wanna quit my flying but I'd like to pursue my MBA full time as a student, more or less to go to school a couple more years and put off this job business. I can only hope that it does at least differentiate me from the pack and give me some sort of business sense considering the industries status. But as far as helping me get a flight job Im not sure if it would help. Any hiring folks I'd love to hear chime in.

not sure if you currently have a business related job, but keep in mind, many MBA programs require/really like to see applicants who have a couple of years of work experience under their belts. Students w/work experiences to share in the classroom are what make MBA programs valuable and successful. Schools don't want an MBA class to be made up of people who just got their undergrad 3 months prior, or who have no real business experience to speak of. Furthermore, I would not advise getting an MBA just to get an MBA.. without some relevant work/business experience to complement your degree, the value of that MBA diminishes quickly.

hey....i was wondering,how can you attend and participate in an online class.I didnt start yet but it sounds weird to me ,to get graded on attendance.The whole point of the online degrees is not to attend any classes.
Tnkr Pilot said:
I finished up my ERAU Master's degree in Aeronautical Science (Operations) in June and did it because knowledge is power...and Uncle Sam paid the bill. I never took an internet class, but the distance learning classes were good. Almost every class consisted of a mid-term, final, paper and presentation, and class attendance/participation. You will find you learn more from the group than from the text..dah..but it was worth while and I now have something to fall back on, other than flying, when my commitment is up if I decide to get out. The value to me was in the challenge, and I would think that an employer would see the commitment/work ethic part as the real value. Any hiring boards/resume folks care to chime in?

Cypilot77 said:
hey....i was wondering,how can you attend and participate in an online class.I didnt start yet but it sounds weird to me ,to get graded on attendance.The whole point of the online degrees is not to attend any classes.

your attendance will be based/graded on your participation in the online forums.. responding to questions your instructor posts, as well as posts and comments from other classmates. Typically instructors will set expectations at the beginning of class as to what participation they expect.

I started my Masters on campus and finished via the distance learning program. My diploma and transcripts look identical to my BS degree that was completed entirely on campus. No one gives a rats ass where you got the degree from as long as it's from an accredited university.

As to the question of what a Masters in Aeronautical Science will get you. The degree can open up many doors in other aspects of aviation should that piece of paper called a medical go away.

My focus was on safety and accident investigation. I have friends that have worked in the airlines safety departments as well as with their respective unions safety department. I know one that was hired away from the airline into the NTSB. The degree delves into all aspects of safety and is not limited to aviation. You'll learn about OSHA and many other aspects of general safety systems.

As much as the BS degree in Aero Sci is useless in real life, the MS degree is far from useless.

Latest resources

Back