Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cypilot77

hello people,
im new here,and after reading all the forum subjects,i feel you guys know everything....:) ..SO, i have a two questions that i need to get some information.First one, i was wondering if you know any flight schools that have self examining authority for initial CFI license(except airman flight school). The other one, im looking forward to start my online master degree(aeronautical science) at ERAU .i want to know how good their online program is and how much it costs.I called the school and they told me between $285 and $995 per credit, which dont make any sense to me..lol
i appreciate any info.thanks

Masters courses are typically around $3-400 per credit. I'd suggest doing an extended campus since online degrees don't carry as much weight.

I've heard various people suggest that a degree done by distance learning doesn't carry the same weight, but I disagree. A degree by distance learning utilizes the same texts, the same material, has the same requirements, but is merely conducted outside the classroom. The degree obtained by distance learning carries the same accreditation and is indistinguishable from a degree obtained by formal attendance.

A degree is a degree. Today, degrees by distance learning are becoming far more commonplace, and have gained wide acceptance. I don't believe for a minute that an employer would discriminate based on weather a degree was earned in residence, or by distance learning.

I might submit, however, that certain subjects are easier tackled with an instructor who can be counseled with in person, vs. by the internet. This might make the study go easier, but doesn't change the efficacy or veracity of the degree.

I applied to and was accepted to a Masters program at Riddle. The distance program was a LOT cheaper than the on-campus ones. I actually decided against attending there because I was offered my current job. I'm actually pretty glad that I didn't go to Riddle because things are working out for me so well here, although I was considering doing the online degree until I was accepted to a different program here.

Best of luck!

-Goose

Last edited:
check6 said:
Most 141 schools would have examining authority for initial CFI applicants.

Ah, no, actually the FAA likes to do those rides. You'll only find examining authority for CFI initial at a couple (if any) places where the volume exeeds what the FSDO deems it is capable of handling. I had to wait a month for my checkride from my FSDO several years ago.

Cypilot77 said:
...i was wondering if you know any flight schools that have self examining authority for initial CFI license(except airman flight school). The other one, im looking forward to start my online master degree(aeronautical science) at ERAU...

Looking for the easy way out on both fronts? That's how I'd read that resume.

I've heard that if you are a CFI at Embry-Riddle, they let you do your masters classes for free. The only problem is that you can only do it part time while being a full time instructor and the masters program may take a while.

i completed the master of aeronautical science degree from erau distance learning program. i think it was a good quality program. paid for by my employer (best kind). it has probably helped my career somewhat, but it is hard to quantify. i would recommend the program. A very nice feature of the program is that it is self paced and self motivated. you won't complete it unless you have discipline. good thing to do on the road for sure.:)

Latest resources

Back