• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Epaulets - Do you wear them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My pappy retired 1/2 hour before his 60th birthday landing one night at HNL. Was hired in 1946 and flew for 34 1/2 years. I remember as a youngster meeting Mr. Six at the LAX cafeteria. He was HUGE and loved his pilots (this was in the 60's) and when I introduced myself to him he said, "you most be Bobby's boy!". I was so proud!

My father had a great amount of respect for Mr. Six and it was that upbringing (mom was a CAL strewardess also) that instilled the same dedication I have for my job and employer today. "Feel the Difference Pride Makes" is more than a company slogan!

Spooky 1 said:
Regardless of what you think of uniforms, Bob Six had more class in his little finger than all of the assh#les that are running the airlines today, put together. And it showed.

That was one heck of an airline, back then!! As I remember, other airlines preferred jumping on CAL if theywere going that way!

I have heard a story recently, although somewhat unconfirmed that before Six passed on he had had purchased some annuities for for his original cadre of pilots. Most of these guys probably retired before Lorenzo showed up (if they were lucky). A friend of mine was recently contacted to see if he was on the receiving list. He was not but apparently there are some of these older guys alive and they might be the benefactor of some of Robert Six's class.

no epaulets, no tie, haven't worn one in almost as long as Falcon Capt.

Man I am jealous. Still, my epaulets get me through suck-urity when airlining to/from the plane so I won't complain to loudly.

The people in the back could care less what we wear but nobody has broached the subject yet. Polo shirts would be great! :)

We tend to lose our uniforms once we get going. I flew Brussels-Lagos in June and July. Takes about 6hrs. I think I had my uniform shirt, tie and epaulettes on for about an hour at the most on every trip. The Captain was wearing slippers, nice touch.

All things considered, if the required uniform was my biggest complaint, I'd feel like one lucky dude. Let's say I was offered a job with excellent pay, benefits, equipment and schedule, but with one catch: all pilots were required to dress like the McDonald's Hamburglar. I'm your man! If everything else were right, I'd dress like Sir Walter Raleigh or Pee-Wee Herman with his dancing shoes. I'd wear epaulets with 7 stripes. Of course, I would hide my true identity, and minimize my exposure at FBOs. (The Captain would like the hotel shuttle to pull up planeside, real close to the door). My wife and kids would never know what Daddy has to do to pay the bills!

fogrunner said:
We tend to lose our uniforms once we get going...The Captain was wearing slippers, nice touch.
I was jump seating once on a 737 to LAX on the old Frontier. The captain, once the cockpit door was closed, pulled off his snap-on tie and donned a railroad engineer's hat. I had to listen to him humming "I've been working on the railroad..." for the entire flight. :p

'Sled

Lucky ones?

For all the "Lucky business casuals", who pays for the clothes?

I hate wearing a uniform(without boards) but I like the fact that my employer pays for the goofy security guard costumes.

So does yur company pay all, some, none or give you an allowance?

Latest resources

Back