Epaulets - Do you wear them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
Our Captains always wear epaulets. 4 strips for domestic and 5 stripes for international. Same for the Jackets, 3/4 inch thick.

Our Intl captains actually have 5 strips sewn to the bottom of their pants legs, in case they are in the john people know who they are. The problem is we can only purchase these uniforms from the Italian submarine commander shop. It can take 3 months to get them specially made.

You know you can get the same uniform components from the Bolivian Army Surplus Store. Go to the officer's section. Lots of braid and brass. Maybe try the Mexican Army, too. ;) TC

P.S.--I heard the Delta International CA's wanted to do the 5-stripe thing. Dorks.

If you hang around at the front of a nice hotel, sometimes people will toss you the keys to their cars as well!

That can come in handy for getting to the BBQ joint across town.

leardawg said:
Consider at least bringing epaulets with you while on the road. You might be able to moonlight as a doorman/porter at the hotels you stay at, and earn yourself some extra beer money in tips.

I wear mine while at recurrent. It really lets them know that I am serious about training. The chicks dig em', too!

I've even been known to wear mine to the grocery store. I am a pilot it I want to shout it out for the whole world to hear!

Sounded too French. The boss had all that junk taken out of the plane.

It's been awhile since I have flown international (I don't think Mex and Canada count).
Used to be, a uniform or at least epaulets, carried a little weight other parts of the world. The less developed, the more impressed.
That changed?

oldxfr8dog said:
It's been awhile since I have flown international (I don't think Mex and Canada count).
Used to be, a uniform or at least epaulets, carried a little weight other parts of the world. The less developed, the more impressed.
That changed?
My experience has been that they don't really do much for you any more. In the past we've worn them on international flights and the first thing that you should probably do upon reaching the airport is take them off or cover them up with a coat or sweater - all they're doing at that point is saying "Hey look at me, I'm a rich pilot." Unfortunately, in today's world that's probably not the message you want to be putting out. We use handlers for 95% of our international flying and they negate any advantage that a uniform and all of the trimmings give you.

'Sled

When I worked charter, we wore epaulets and tie. Now I usually wear pants.

Lead Sled said:
My experience has been that they don't really do much for you any more. In the past we've worn them on international flights and the first thing that you should probably do upon reaching the airport is take them off or cover them up with a coat or sweater - all they're doing at that point is saying "Hey look at me, I'm a rich pilot." Unfortunately, in today's world that's probably not the message you want to be putting out. We use handlers for 95% of our international flying and they negate any advantage that a uniform and all of the trimmings give you.

'Sled
EXACTLY... I agree 100%...

no epaulets dom or intl. hasn't been a hindrance intl- even in far flung 3rd world places. they are uneccessary. a flight crew ID badge on the other hand is useful.

Latest resources

Back