Epaulets - Do you wear them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
And then theres the guy I use to fly a 421 for from time to time who always made me wear the full uniform and epaulettes everywhere we went. I hated more then anything having to step out of that 421 in that uniform! The owner/operator was a real pud, and I think he probably just felt like it made him look more important then he really is by me wearing that uniform. :rolleyes:
Sheesh! When I had "<1500" hrs, I would've gladly worn a Tele-Tubbies outfit to fly a C421.

Isn't the real purpose of the eppaulettes-style uniform to identify the crew in an emergency? Makes sense on a large airliner. Can anyone give me a reason for wearing that outfit on the type of A/C flown for 91 & 135?:confused:

I had to wear the hat and tie for many years at a previous job... I was a Doorman at a Four Seasons Hotel. Now that I'm a pilot, I don't have to dress like a "pilot" anymore.:)

CXAV8 said:
For all the "Lucky business casuals", who pays for the clothes?

I hate wearing a uniform(without boards) but I like the fact that my employer pays for the goofy security guard costumes.

So does yur company pay all, some, none or give you an allowance?
They buy us the Dockers and Polo's (button down shirts for winter), seems like once or twice a year we get an email saying "if you need any new uniform parts let us know", I probably have 10 Polo's, 6-8 button downs and 10 pairs of Dockers from them... We buy our own shoes (and underwear for those who chose to wear it :eek: )

After I left the flight school I was working at and went to a Charter company, the flight school got their own 135 certificate for their Duchess (single-pilot certificate)... The guy who flew it was the "gung-ho, can't wait to get to the airlines" type... Well he would fly the Duchess on charter trips wearing the full pilot uniform (epaulets included!)... It was quite funny to see!!!

He later went to a Commuter, the irony is after about a year of commuter life, he quit flying all together, I don't think he has flown in nearly 10 years...

The company gave me a number of polo shirts with the company logo on it. But the rest of my 'uniform' was purchased by me. Well, more accurately, I already had plenty of khaki pants, shirts, etc...when I was hired. It's basically the same thing I wore back in my programming days.

I just tattooed the 4 bars on my shoulders and gigantic American eagle on my left peck. I trimmed down my chest hair in the shape of a tie. I havn't flown with a shirt on in years

Falcon Capt said:
After I left the flight school I was working at and went to a Charter company, the flight school got their own 135 certificate for their Duchess (single-pilot certificate)... The guy who flew it was the "gung-ho, can't wait to get to the airlines" type... Well he would fly the Duchess on charter trips wearing the full pilot uniform (epaulets included!)... It was quite funny to see!!!

I CFI'd at a place that had some Barons on 135. We had a charter pilot who bombed out of his E-120 Captain upgrade at CoEx who wore his old airline uniform.

One night after two had returned at about the same time, while they were completing their paperwork, the guy who wore his uniform why the other guy didn't wear one. His answer, extremely sarcastically of course: "Because I'm flying a Baron". :D It was good for a chuckle.

And to keep on topic...for us, polo shirt from April to November, tie from November to April. Not sure exactly why, though. :confused: Polo's provided by company.

Last edited:
Stryker said:
I just tattooed the 4 bars on my shoulders and gigantic American eagle on my left peck. I trimmed down my chest hair in the shape of a tie. I havn't flown with a shirt on in years
Hilarious. Frightening... But hilarious :)

There was a female pilot at Travel Air, now Options, who was seen in a shopping mall with her epaulets on her navy blue (company issued) rain coat. I guess you meet all kinds.
Our company furnishes white dress shirts & white polo with company logo. We must furnish navy dress slacks and shined black shoes.

HEADWIND

Latest resources

Back