• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Enough!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We can all try...but...like everything else labor tries: The front will look like a cannon and the bang, at best, will poof out like a fart. The alternative is a backfire. People just need to stop being pilots. There are too many of us, hence options for management.

Your place on the national senority list would be determined by your date of hire at the regional for which you are working when it is enacted. If you change airlines you are inserted into that airlines list based on that. So yes you could bump someone out of a seat and someone could do it to you if they were to come to your airline. Cuts both ways.

One thing that would have to be decided, and I don't know where I would stand on this yet, is this. Would this system apply if a pilot switches airlines on his/her own volition or is forced out? But I'm inclined to think I would want it to work in both cases. This way, just like in other businesses, if we want to change employers we can do so without having to lose everything we've worked to accomplish. This would also be benefical if a pilot needed to relocate to another part of the country for some reason. Instead of having to commute, if a regional in that area is hiring, he /she could just change airlines and be closer to home.

In the business world if you decide to change employers to do the same kind of work, you just switch companies and take your experience and knowledge with you. You could either move up or down a little at the new company but would be pretty close to what you left. Why should we be so different.

The way we do things is antiquated. We need some new thinking. Time to get out of this box we've built around ourselves.

A National seniority list is only fair if you had NO CHOICE on which airline to go to. IF you did have a choice, then you probably chose wrong. That isn't anyone else's fault. There are choices in life, and some people choose wrong. There are countries out there that hire Direct Entry Captains, meaning your experience is portable. Garuda in Indonesia is currently looking for RJ Captains to fly their new CRJ-1000s. Senior FOs at a Legacy may be waiting years to upgrade because of age 65, etc. What makes you think you should be put ahead of them? They have waited in line. You may need to start at the beginning of another line. Sorry.

Bye Bye---General Lee

People just need to stop being pilots. There are too many of us, hence options for management.

I respectfully disagree. The problem is the current system. It's broke and outdated. Time for a new way.

I don't claim to be so smart as to have all the answers but I am smart enough to see when something is not working and a different solution needs to be found.

A National seniority list is only fair if you had NO CHOICE on which airline to go to. IF you did have a choice, then you probably chose wrong. That isn't anyone else's fault. There are choices in life, and some people choose wrong. There are countries out there that hire Direct Entry Captains, meaning your experience is portable. Garuda in Indonesia is currently looking for RJ Captains to fly their new CRJ-1000s. Senior FOs at a Legacy may be waiting years to upgrade because of age 65, etc. What makes you think you should be put ahead of them? They have waited in line. You may need to start at the beginning of another line. Sorry.

Bye Bye---General Lee

This applies to regionals only, not legacy carriers. If you leave a regional for a legacy then, yes, you start over. Legacy pilots don't have a dog in this fight.

As for your comment about choosing wrong, an airline can be doing great, have top notch leadership, and have a bright future ahead of it when you get hired. Then years down the road there could be a change of management and the new team could run the place into the ground. No one can see the future. We all make decisions with the information available at the time.

This applies to regionals only, not legacy carriers. If you leave a regional for a legacy then, yes, you start over. Legacy pilots don't have a dog in this fight.

As for your comment about choosing wrong, an airline can be doing great, have top notch leadership, and have a bright future ahead of it when you get hired. Then years down the road there could be a change of management and the new team could run the place into the ground. No one can see the future. We all make decisions with the information available at the time.

Sounds like every other industry Bozo..Ever been to Detroit?

Sounds like every other industry Bozo..Ever been to Detroit?

My point exactly. In just about ever other job if your company went under you can take the skills you aquired there to another company.

If you worked your way up to master electrician at company A then you can be a master electrician at company B. You don't have to start over as an apprentice electrician.

Every Legacy has now been through BK. Many Regionals have too now. Unfortunately, other airlines will head down that road. Unfortunately that is how some airlines control their costs. Still, it's up to you to pick which one you want to fly for, and then just hang on or leave for a better opportunity.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Every Legacy has now been through BK. Many Regionals have too now. Unfortunately, other airlines will head down that road. Unfortunately that is how some airlines control their costs. Still, it's up to you to pick which one you want to fly for, and then just hang on or leave for a better opportunity.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thanks for your opinion but I think this is a debate for regional pilots.

Just an FYI: I'm not at Pinnacle

Apologies, an assumption on my part. L-ASA?

My guess is you have time to prepare, but your turn is coming. But the basic message stands, if you're tired of getting played by Delta, the only way that's going to happen is by leaving.

Latest resources

Back