• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Enlighten me on ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. The basis of all employee/employer relations in this country is contractual. NOTHING else really matters in the long term.

2. A required component of a legal contract is equal STANDING. Either party must be able to enforce the document, or it is coercive.

3. There's only one company, so there can only be one entity on the other side. Fedex can't write 4500 individual pilot contracts (though interestingly this is being tried at Jetblue I hear....) Therefore there is representation.

4. The bottom line: it's all PERSONALITY. Like any organization - a company, the military, your church, the scouts, the neighborhood watch - most everything depends on who you put in charge. Anybody who b!tches about DW: did you vote in your last ALPA election? Do you go to meetings?

Just because a pilot group votes in concessions doesn't mean a union is ineffective. Many pilots don't see that if there were no union at all, the company could just unilaterally whack pay rates. Granted, bankruptcy makes it harder, but at least the company has to negotiate with us as to what form, if any, concessions will take.

I agree safety is probably the most important job of the union, however; not being afraid that taking the safest course of action (i.e. refusing a flight for mx or wx) will result in the loss of a job or discipline.

The whole point of many union committees is to keep pilots' problems in-house rather than get mgmt involved. Committees such as Professional Standards (I hate the guy I'm flying with please make him change), Jump Seat (may I have a ride with your airline), Peer Pilot Assistance (hand me that beer would you), and others all ensure that pilots are getting the best help possible; help from our peers.

pianoman,
All good points that I forgot to consider. I think as far as on the job help the union is great for that.

Latest resources

Back