• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto77

Snacko
Hey all,
Ive been a lurker on this board for years. I have been especially interested in the latest strikes and union dealings. With all the drama revolving around ALPA, AMFA etc..has led me to pose the question. What is the point of being an ALPA member now days? Its been called a lame duck organization on here by many and Im curious to the real benefit of being an ALPA member and why if I were an airline pilot would it be beneficial for me to join and pay dues? I've always been a recreational pilot and do not mean to stir up hate replies..but I just want to be more educated on the matter. Thanks for all serious replies in advance.

Aircraft Experience: Tons
Flight Experience: A mix
Ratings: Pretty much all of them
Total Time: 10

FLAMEBAIT

Tony C,
Like Ive said..i just joined the board after lurking for a long time. Ive read some of your other posts and agree with what you have said. Im just looking for a good discussion here.

It's simple, really, ALPA is a flawed organization but pilots need union protection. If something truly better comes along I'm all for it but I don't consider that likely.

I understand the protection and I feel that they are a good organization for fighting for medical conditions etc..but overall the main concern I would want is for wage protection ..but I guess you are right..nothing is perfect.

Steenland, is that you?? give us a call at the Lorenzo alumni club. Frank wants to know what you are up to.

Otto77 said:
who is Steenland?

Busted!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were truly a lurker, you wouldn't be asking this question as a follow up to your ALPA question.

But, I'll play your silly game. ALPA is what you make it. If you, and your fellow members of the rank and file blow off your union, then your union will be corrupt, weak and ineffective. If you take part, attend meetings, vote, volunteer, etc, your union will be very effective.

My experience has been this: the whiners don't vote, don't attend local meetings, don't volunteer and don't offer anything. They just carp and complain. I'm no union fan, but this is a unionized business and I found out long ago that going along and working within a system is the effective way to succeed.

Now, go to your next LEC meeting and find something positive to accomplish.

enigma

Enigma,
Great point. A great example is how people love to Bitch about the gov't but they arent willing to do anything about it..but everyone has their opinions. I know the unions will never go away in this industry and that is probably a good thing..I would just like to see them have a little bit more power.

enigma said:
My experience has been this: the whiners don't vote, don't attend local meetings, don't volunteer and don't offer anything. They just carp and complain.

Exactly. It goes even further than that though. Many of the whiners also like to yell about how they could do such a better job if the union leadership would just allow them to volunteer. When they are offered that chance to volunteer their time and effort, they come up with a long list of excuses of why they can't volunteer right now.

I've said it on our company board before, and I'll say it again: If we came to the pilot group tomorrow with an LOA for 50% pay raises and 20 days off a month, the group of malcontents would still be complaining about how we didn't get them 100% raises and 25 days off. Some people just like to complain no matter what.

Latest resources

Back