• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HueyPilot

This just in from CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

Essentially, an worker out in LA filed a complaint with the equal opportunity office stating that he had seen boxes of computer equipment in which components were labeled "master" and "slave". Here is LA's response:

We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify, and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature

It appears that our tech manuals can no longer legally condone the reprehensible behavior of refering to one engine as the "master" and the other engine as the "slave" when describing engine synchonizing systems. How racist! Isn't it obvious that by applying those terms to inanimate objects, we're actually offending living people by somehow suggesting that their race is inferior?

OK, back to reality...come on folks, this is ridiculous.

Politically correct language... :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with certain P.C. words and phrases..."humankind" is a good example.* But this "master/slave" business is B.S.

*Although I'm sure there are people who would prefer "hupersonkind."

HueyPilot said:
This just in from CNN.com:

...Isn't it obvious that by applying those terms to inanimate objects, we're actually offending living people by somehow suggesting that their race is inferior?

No its not obvious. Not to normal rational people. Just the small percentage of liberal fanatics.

The computer industry is trouble. Network elements also share the same naming convention. I think an email to UltraLiberalNeedACrusade.com identifying TellLabs, Cisco, IBM, etc, so they and their media bed buddies can blackmail (oops, opaquemail) them into unreasonable changes for the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

I can see the memo now...

"This company supports equal representation and comparable salaries for all female components! Any "glass ceiling" must be eliminated, allowing full professional and salary growth potential of *all* the female couplings in the company."

"Further, suitable male-male and female-female adapters must be made available for any alternative coupling applications."

The County of LA came out with this email last week:

Subject: IDENTIFICATION OF EQUIPMENT SOLD TO LA COUNTY
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:21:16 -0800

The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived. As such, it is the County's expectation that our manufacturers, suppliers and contractors make a concentrated effort to ensure that any equipment, supplies or services that are provided to County departments do not possess or portray an image that may be construed as offensive or defamatory in nature.

One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words "Master/Slave" appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.

We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment or components thereof that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature before such equipment is sold or otherwise provided to any County department.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

Joe Sandoval, Division Manager
Purchasing and Contract Services
Internal Services Department
County of Los Angeles

Note: You are receiving this email because you have registered with the County of Los Angeles. If you do not wish to receive future L.A. County Event news, simply click the link below, and update your registration information to remove email notification.

I'm speechless. This pis$es me off even more than the "chemtrail" psycho does.

Wow. Only in Cali. :)

Flying Illini said:
This pis$es me off even more than the "chemtrail" psycho does.
Well, I wouldn't go that far... :D

I feel sorry for "Ahnold" what a messed up state he lives in.TC

Latest resources

Back