• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Encounters With Arrogant Celebrity Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even the USAF website somewhere lists Yeager as being the first to break the speed of sound in "level" flight.

I have never heard of this before

A Squared said:
THere is every reason to beleive that Chuck was well aware that the sound barrier had already been broken (again, the KA-Booom had been heard all over the air base two weeks prior) and that he was just going through a dog and pony show. There is little question that yeager is well aware he is living a lie.

This is very interesting and makes his comment about the Voyager flight even more snide. He said something along the lines of: "All of the most important records have already been set."

I couldn't believe he would diminish a 'round the world non-stop flight to make himself look better.

Sad old man.

Back on topic, I've never flown with a celebrity pilot but I did work at the flight school where Michael Dorn and Phil Hartman learned to fly. Seemed to be nice guys.

Oh and I went to college with Scott, Scott, Scott, who was the F16 pilot that got shot down over Bosnia and was eating insects to survive? I can't remember his last name.

Anyway, great guy. Real straight forward and a true professional even in college when most of us were still a bunch of dips hit kids.

414Flyer said:
Even the USAF website somewhere lists Yeager as being the first to break the speed of sound in "level" flight.

Well Yeager is the first person to break the speed of sound in level flight. Welch had to dive the XP-86 at a 40 degree angle to get the aircraft to accelerate through the speed of sound, I believe Yeager did it in level flight after a short climb?

-Brian

Scott O'Grady, exactly.

ERAU PRC, yup, graduated Dec '90.

Pukey Clebs as Pax!

Try Alec Baldwin! Man, what a jerk. He flew into MRY once on American Eagle as a pax and was very rude. I'm Definitely not a fan. Nice celebs on my list include Matthew McConeghey (sp?) and Oprah's guy Steadman Graham.

Flew General Schwarzkoph.. really nice guy hung on the ramp for 20 minutes talking to line guys and us..Also Russell Simmons and Rev. Run (run DMC) flew them for a week straight nice 500$$ tip from them.Mandy Moore is a biatch but Andy Roddick real cool.... Ludicris was an arrogant a$$..

SPBRIAN said:
Well Yeager is the first person to break the speed of sound in level flight. Welch had to dive the XP-86 at a 40 degree angle to get the aircraft to accelerate through the speed of sound, I believe Yeager did it in level flight after a short climb?

-Brian
Pretty sure it was just in a climb, the X-1 was definitely capable of it.

Yeager himself knew the F-86 was capable of it. He mentioned that the successors to the X-1's research were already being built. The engineers already knew it was possible... Yeager knew it was possible. Just about every other pilot at Edwards(Muroc) knew it was possible. I don't think anybody around thought it wasn't... some of them just didn't want to ride the rocket. I think the whole event was blown out of proportion by the public perception... imagine that ;)

kilroy said:
Flew General Schwarzkoph.. really nice guy hung on the ramp for 20 minutes talking to line guys and us..Also Russell Simmons and Rev. Run (run DMC) flew them for a week straight nice 500$$ tip from them.Mandy Moore is a biatch but Andy Roddick real cool.... Ludicris was an arrogant a$$..
That's funny about Mandy Moore, as her dad is a captain w/ AA. Though I can't claim to have ever been in a plane with him, I have given him a ride in my car! I met up with him and a friend (Captain Moore's F/O) when they were in Denver for the night. Very cool and down to earth guy, insisted on paying for the entire dinner tab.

This story is pretty dated, but I'll tell it anyway. You older guys may remember a comedian named Jerry Clower, who passed away about six years ago. Played at the Opry all the time. Anyway, my Dad happened to be seated next to Jerry years ago while dead-heading home. They got to chatting and Jerry asked if my folks had ever been to the Opry. Dad said no, but that my Mom was a huge fan, and always wanted to go, but tickets were hard to get with their schedules. Jerry told Dad to get a weekend off and let him know the date.

A few weeks later, my folks showed up in Nashville, and reaching the Hotel room, found two backstage passes and a boquet for my Mom. Jerry introduced them to a number of performers, and I recall that Marty Robbins played that night, and the crowd wouldn't let him off stage...

I only tell the story as a tribute to Jerry, a real class act.

Latest resources

Back