• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates US Road Shows?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went to the Miami road show yesterday, had been to one in Chicago 2 years ago (or so). I received an email from Emirates a short while back stating they had dropped their 55 ton requirement (see below), so I went hopeful to secure an interview as they offered in previous Info Sessions. The dog and pony show they put up is really pathetic, all they talk about is how good they are, how they sponsor so many teams/events worldwide, how beautiful their new headquarters is, how beautiful their housing/villas are, etc. They say nothing in regards to being overworked, making your life impossible to take vacation, long upgrade times, etc, in essence, reality. I have 2 friends at Emirates, and it is definitely NOT like they picture it, but it still is pretty decent.

Well it turns out they dropped their 55T requirement to 30 tons. That directly contradicts what the email says. Somehow I have 8000 hours in state of the art business jets, international experience, 5 type ratings, IP experience, yet I am not worthy to fly a 777??

Anyways, I mention this in case some are going to these sessions hoping to get an interview based on the dropped 55T requirement. Don't waste your time. I stood up in the middle of the info session, questioned the recruiters why 30T when I have email in my iPhone on hand saying weight requirement dropped altogether, she says rudely she doesn't know where that email came from. I told them they are liars and walk out of the room. Made me waste a morning for nothing.

Shouting Liars and storming out.

Now that was professional...guess we missed out and on having a real pro join our ranks....

f.

The post clearly states he did not shout.
Maybe fareview you've been in EK to long and are just to assimilated to the EK lying way of life. Frankly I applaud the gentleman in question for having the moral fotitude and high values to call a liar a liar, when it is so deservedly warranted.

Last edited:
The problem is twofold:
EK decided that they would not publish all of their minimums on their website, or distribute that information when they contacted people (I received the same email),
and, Americans are used to airline's hiring pages showing ALL of their minimums.

So, EK chose to publish/distribute SOME of the minimums, and withhold other minimums (like their variable age limits). I'm guessing that is standard procedure in the ME and/or Asia/overseas.

When they do this with Americans, who are used to having all the information in front of them when they are trying to decide where to apply/interview/accept a position, EK runs this risk of upsetting people.

I don't think that EK was intentionally trying to mislead or upset anyone, they just decided, for whatever reason, to set up their minimums and disclose them in the way that they did.

I think that it would help EK recruitment in the US, if they published all their minimum requirements for all to see. BUT, not being very familiar with recruiting outside the US, doing so may have some negative consequences with regards to recruiting pilots outside the US???

Comments/info/suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you ahead of time for your information!

The post clearly states he did not shout.
Maybe fareview you've been in EK to long and are just to assimilated to the EK lying way of life. Frankly I applaud the gentleman in question for having the moral fotitude and high values to call a liar a liar, when it is so deservedly warranted.

It was an irrational response given the forum...regardless of how many lies he perceived were delivered.

Defending the high values of the profession regardless of the adversity - is not flying a banner for my airline.

If he was flying with a local Middle Eastern Capt who was, with subtlety, having a go at his nationality while clearly telling lies - could this 'moral fortitude and high values' personality ... be provoked into a similar response?

Not sure where in my post I defended EK...but the pilot group is (95%) top notch and professional.

Lets keep it that way,

Respectfully,

fareview (shout point noted - thanks for correction)

Last edited:
Is it better to remain seated and stay quiet?
High values are not solely the domain of our profession or any profession for that matter. High values are a way to live life, to defend them in the face of adversity does not bring a person's professionalism into question, they are two distinctly different entities.
He wasn't dealing with the local captain here, he was at a recruitment roadshow, so that point is moot.
This man was lied to and stood up for what he knew was right, hardly an irrational response.
No where in my post did I say you defended EK, I merely said that you may have been at EK to long, have become accustomed to the lies, and now find them tolerable.
Your opinion differs and it is what it is.

You are correct though, this pilot group is top notch.
Regards
O.B

He was not lied to. He was told the 55 tonne minimum was dropped, which was correct. EK just left out other stuff, like the 30 tonne minimums, that they didn't feel was important to tell the potential candidates.

I would like to know why they feel that this was a good idea, and how it would help them recruit more pilots?

Well, it has to be a lie. As said before, plenty of CRJ-200 pilots from Pinnacle have gotten hired at Emirates and are currently in Dubai. The CRJ-200 is under 30 tons. But they still got hired. So it leads me to believe that with EK, it's more so luck when it comes time to interview. Depending on who looks over your qualifications, you may or may not get called. Or the guy who sifts through the online applications, filtering out anything under 30tons. You mean to tell me that a CRJ-200 pilot can get hired by applying online, and another CRJ-200 pilot can get denied since they went to a road show?

I think that at the time the PCL guys were hired, they met the mins. I was told 10 tonnes was the mins in April. I think that now the mins are back up to 30 tonnes. I'm almost 100% sure the mins will be coming back down, as their hiring situation gets more and more difficult for them...USAir just started recalling, for example.

What is so hard to comprehend?

It is their ball game. They can change the mins at anytime for any reason they desire. If you don't like it, then the ME is not the place for you.

Was a lie told during this guys roadshow? No, they simply changed the mins and the recruiter on hand only had the information provided to them.

Was calling them liars a rational reaction? No and I don't think it was polite or civil.

Maybe the guy calling the names wasted a day of his time. He wouldn't have been there if he hadn't had interest in working for them. Now that bridge is burned and next month when the mins are 10T again he is S.O.L.

I don't work for Emirates, but I am in the ME. Once you get here you quickly realise you aren't in Kansas anymore. The jobs here are great, but the rule book is different.

All wonderful. BUT- the CRJ-700 is over 30T and their application doesn't differentiate between CRJ models. So basically, you can have 5,000 hours PIC on a CRJ-900 and you will still get steamrolled by a 737 FO with 2500 hours SIC only. FUBAR.

Latest resources

Back