• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates US Road Shows?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's not exactly true about the 380. I know of at least three U.S. RJ drivers that arrived here between the last two and three years that have gone to the 380. They are getting so many of them that you will be able to go. They are even debating direct entry first officers into the 380. They are not allowing it now, but it is in discussion. Bottom line is they will not let an airplane sit. They are letting RJ drivers onto the 380 (after flying the 330 and 340 for a year) and are considering DEFO on the 380, time will tell on the DEFO.

Is there really a BIG difference between flying an A340-500 and an A380 for the former RJ drivers? They are both highly-automated, large airplanes. That seems a bit ridiculous to me if true...

So, is life over there as bad as everyone makes it out to be on the (complaint) boards or is it tolerable?

Granted this US Regional FO bit is a job, but barely...

I just looked at the EK Seniority list, the last 2 guys hired from the U.S. on it are on the BUS but only 1 of the previous 10 before that went on the BUS, the other 9 went to the B777. This numbers go back to October of 2009 and start as recent as July 2010.
Like I said before, things here change from week to week, my friend who was put on the short-list with CRJ200 and Citation X time was removed from the short-list 1 month later because of the type of aircraft he had time on. Many of the Americans who came here 2 or 3 years ago that have only CRJ or ERJ time are not being allowed to move to the A380 while newer guys with maybe less time but larger aircraft time are being moved to the A380. Someone said to me the other day that EK's Insurance company may be behind the change in minimums, other people say that it has to do with the problems some of the new hires are having flying the larger aircraft, others say that it is the fact that EK might have to lower the requirements for upgrades to Captain, we have no clue, stories change here by the week and by the nationality of the person you are talking to. I hope this helps some of you.

uba757

I wouldn't think transitioning from an RJ to a widebody would be that hard after some thorough simulator training. Give me a break, the flight deck technology is not too different. Sure, transitioning from complete analog to the 777/Airbus could be difficult - but glass won't scare RJ pilots. Getting used to the size might be interesting at first, but most of us had the same issue when transitioning from light twins to RJs. It takes awhile but you get used to it. That said, these airplanes really are quite large:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emir...41763/L/&sid=f6b459bc5ba10ce5da4db6eacc1a2eb3

and the gargantuan A380:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emir...41762/L/&sid=f6b459bc5ba10ce5da4db6eacc1a2eb3

That A380 looks like a monster aircraft able to swallow an RJ... Anyone out there currently flying for EK have any comments about transitioning from RJs to 777s/Airbuses? Easy or challenging process?

Regional4life, 5 of my neighbors, all have been with EK for 2+ years and all 5 with only RJ time, were told that they are not eligible to go to the A380 yet. They are flying the A330's/A340's and were told they had to wait until completing 3 years with EK to move over to the A380.

uba757

Here's the requirements for transfer,

To be eligible for a transfer to the A380 the following
minimum requirements must be met:
i. 3000 Jet hrs on an aircraft with MTOW of 55 tonnes
or more of which 1,500 must be on any EK Aircraft
Type and;

ii. 2 years with Emirates (on any aircraft type).

Also, while not applicable yet.

In circumstances where there is a predicted unavailability of
eligible First Officers within Emirates who meet the above
experience requirements, Emirates may consider the
recruitment of Direct Entry First Officers to the A380. The
minimum requirements for these positions are:
i. 4000 total hours.
ii. 3000 Jet hours with MTOW of 55 tonnes or more of
which 2,000 hours must be on A330/A340 or other
wide-body jet.
A330 / A340 and A380 type rated pilots will normally be given

preference over pilots with other wide-body jet experience.

3000hrs > 55T would normally be the limiting factor rather than the 2 years for RJ drivers.

I wouldn't think transitioning from an RJ to a widebody would be that hard after some thorough simulator training. Give me a break, the flight deck technology is not too different.

No, it really isn't that difficult at all but it is their sand box (literally) you play only if they want you to play.

Has anyone who interviewed in last two or three years and got shot down had a second chance at an interview yet?

There is an official policy...think it WAS 24 mos, and reduced a while ago to 12 mos....not sure.

cliff
LFW

I interviewed in jan of 08 and just went to the memphis road show. I am waiting to hear from them. I would like a second chance but have not received it yet. I hope they will at least tell me they are not going to give me a second chance rather than not contact me at all.

Latest resources

Back