• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates to recruit 700 pilots next 18 months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Take a vacation and spend 1-2 weeks here, and (most important) BRING YOUR SPOUSE!

I thought the place would be great, but having spent a few weeks in Dubai (and neighboring Sharjah) recently, I can say that my desires to fly for Emirates have been GREATLY diminished.

For me, it's a lot like Vegas; really cool for about 4 days, but after 3 weeks I'm ready to shoot myself.

The humidity alone is surprisingly horrible.

Just FYI. I wouldn't jump in feet first here without first testing the waters... it's not like living in Europe or Australia or South America. It's a completely different world out here.

Mind you, I have no opinion on the operation itself; I'm sure EK is as good, or even better, an option than most US carriers, at least for now.

BUT, if you have no PIC time, expect to be sitting in the right seat for a LONG time. This is pretty much standard for just about EVERY foreign carrier out there (at least the ones that I follow). Bottom line is, if you can get your PIC time back home ad then come over as a DEC you'll do much better financially in the long run.

Still, earning $6000-7000 a month tax free can make a very good argument for not caring whether you move to the right seat or not.

Another carrier to look at if you have no PIC time is Saudia. I've got friends there with zero PIC time, all of them enjoying it (to one degree or another anyway).

Last edited:
Hi!

U have 3 year contrat, and then vested in retirement monies after 5 years. So, plan on staying for 5 years, or don't go.

I, personally, think the interview DXB experience IS enough, but ONLY if you do a lot of research online to find out what the living conditions are like. It also helps if you have lived outside the US, so you have something to compare the US/DXB to.

I also think if you have a family it is probably a good idea to come to DXB on your own, before committing, to see if they can handle the changes from the US.

cliff
LFW

Don't go there expecting an "American" experience. It's Dubai - not America. The Middle East is very different from the American culture, philosophies, and perspectives - you are in their world. If you decide to go there, go with an open mind and adventurous spirit - there's a big world out there and you will see a lot of it if you fly for Emirates... Just keep your expectations in check.

I think that JOHNSONROD put it best with his last post. It is amazing what happens to you when you get here, your first couple of days exploring DXB make you relax and let your guard down because all you see around you is BK, Kentucky Fried, MAC, TGI Fridays and the list goes on and on but it is not home, not by a mile. Many of my fellow American friends here have left within the first couple of years or will be doing it within the first 5 at the latest. The main thing has to be your family, if your wife and kids like it here then halve the problem is taken care of, the other halve is how thick skinned are you? Again, I have no problem with the Emirati's, they seem like nice enough people, the problem is the Management at EK that lack any kind of respect for pilots, specially American pilots.
If you are young and single, this place is amazing for you, I would not hesitate one second coming out here, your life and experience will make up for any shortcomings you find.
If you are married, do not come out here unless your wife comes out with you and is willing to make the effort to enjoy herself and make it work for a minimum of 5 years. Out of my group of 17, 5 guys are now divorced or in the process of since coming out here 2 years ago, 2 have left the company back to the US. (one did a runner) but the others seem to be happy, specially the single guys living in the buildings with the Cabin Crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uba757

I think that JOHNSONROD put it best with his last post. It is amazing what happens to you when you get here, your first couple of days exploring DXB make you relax and let your guard down because all you see around you is BK, Kentucky Fried, MAC, TGI Fridays and the list goes on and on but it is not home, not by a mile. Many of my fellow American friends here have left within the first couple of years or will be doing it within the first 5 at the latest. The main thing has to be your family, if your wife and kids like it here then halve the problem is taken care of, the other halve is how thick skinned are you? Again, I have no problem with the Emirati's, they seem like nice enough people, the problem is the Management at EK that lack any kind of respect for pilots, specially American pilots.
If you are young and single, this place is amazing for you, I would not hesitate one second coming out here, your life and experience will make up for any shortcomings you find.
If you are married, do not come out here unless your wife comes out with you and is willing to make the effort to enjoy herself and make it work for a minimum of 5 years. Out of my group of 17, 5 guys are now divorced or in the process of since coming out here 2 years ago, 2 have left the company back to the US. (one did a runner) but the others seem to be happy, specially the single guys living in the buildings with the Cabin Crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uba757

Great post! Some great things to consider before making the leap...

Hey guys, EK hired me without any PIC and 3540tt, I had FE time and they used 500 hours out of that to get me over the 4000tt. I don't agree about the 10 year time frame to upgrade, the guys I know are upgrading right now have been here for about 3.5 to 4 years. I have a friend who applied with CRJ200 and Citation X time over the 4000tt and was put on the short list, about 2 weeks ago I went to talk to the lady in charge of HR Recruitment and she told me that the company at this time is not counting the CRJ100/200 time tor-wards the minimum requirements, the next day my friends application was changed to "UNDER REVIEW" so take that with a grain of salt. If you are going to come to EK, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT REALLY, REALLY CAREFULLY, there are some good things about being here at EK but also there are some things that just drive you nuts. The European Management of EK does not really care about their pilots, especially Americans. You have to be prepared for contract changes that are just done overnight, without a single thought on how they affect you and your family. Airplanes and destinations are great but at the end of the day that does not pay the bills specially if you are going to have a home in the U.S. and one in Dubai. The guys you fly with are about 95% great, 3% average and the other 2% are real morons. Dubai is a very expensive, cosmopolitan and in my opinion beautiful city and the company wants to make sure you spend most of your salary in Dubai. I will say that the local Emirati's will treat you better and with more respect compared to the other EX-PATS (EK MANAGEMENT). The best way I can compare EK to the U.S. is that back home the Airline Management does not bother to lie to you because they don't give a $hit anymore, here at EK, management will lie to you over and over but make it seem that they are doing you a favor in the process. Just my 02 cents.

uba757
We just had the same thing happen to a guy in our interview group. He made it throught day three and then finished the physical. Which normally means you are pretty much hired. I guess after he arrived home they called and told him the no longer accept CRJ100 time.

Hi!

EK just confirmed new order at the Farnborough Air Show. No details.

On another website, some EK guys were saying rosters for 98 schd flying hours for the month!

cliff
LFW

We hear that the orders will be for B777's/B747-8's/A330-300's, How many of each, we have no clue about. On the other part of Cliffs post, I have not flown less than 90 hours since JAN and at least 2 months have been above 95 hours and the rest between 90 and 94 hours. On RSV this month and I am up to 83 with 3 days left, they will get me to the 90 hours with room to spare.

uba757

Latest resources

Back