Emirates to recruit 700 pilots next 18 months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

See story below. I've read good and bad things (the Middle East forum on www.pprune.org highlights the negatives) about Emirates. Dubai may not be your cup of tea - so visit first. Not sure if regional pilots (i.e., RJ experience) will get a fair shake with the many legacy pilots on furlough. I've heard that if you have Boeing time, you will "likely" get a 777 FO slot. If you have Airbus time, you will "likely" get an A330/A340 FO slot. Airbus pilots will most likely get bumped up to the A380 FO slot after 2-3 years of A330/A340 flying. Most future growth at EK is on the Airbus side with 50+ A380s on order and something like 100 A350s on order into the future. Not sure how many remaining 777 orders exist. Don't believe any direct entry captains.

Emirates to recruit 700 pilots in next 18 months
By Murdo Morrison

After largely closing its doors to new recruits during the 2009 downturn, Emirates plans to hire more than 700 pilots over the next 18 months to support new routes and aircraft.
The airline has embarked on a recruitment roadshow that will take in much of Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas. It kicked off on 4 June in Madrid, one of six new destinations this year. It has already begun services from Dubai to Tokyo and Amsterdam, with Prague, Baghdad and Dakar to follow.
Emirates - which has a 147-strong fleet with six aircraft due to arrive this year, part of 144 on order - traditionally recruits only first officers.
Capt Alan Stealey, divisional senior vice-president flight operations, says Emirates is recruiting at a time when much of the industry is cutting back. The airline recently took delivery of its ninth Airbus A380 and will accept number 10 within days.

Caveat Emptor. Make sure you fully investigate what life (both flying and nonflying) would be like before you apply. If you have no job and no prospects for getting a flying job in the US, well by all means apply if you meet the requirements. I have a few friends there - one on the 777 (he loves it) and one on the A340 (he doesn't care for it and he is looking to return to the US). Dubai can be a fun/exciting place but it is expensive and you must remember that it is a different culture - do not expect an "American" experience there. You will live in their country and play by their rules...

Here's some data about pay, etc. Keep in mind that housing is provided - need to look at the value of the TOTAL package provided (including free housing):

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/international/emirates.html

I am sure many Canadians, Europeans, Indians, Aussies and South Africans with Boeing and Airbus time will also be applying. Again, save yourself a lot of trouble and do a lot of due diligence before you apply (and take the Pprune website with a grain of salt because those Emirates pilots on that website do nothing but complain).

Hi!

RJ only guys will have no problem being recruited, if not today, in a few months or so. When recruiting started in Sep? 2009, time over 55 tonnes was REQUIRED. Now there is NO MTOW limit, and the total time required was dropped from 4000 to 2500 jet. They will be getting more and more desperate every month, through probably about 2015.

cliff
LFW

Hi!

RJ only guys will have no problem being recruited, if not today, in a few months or so. When recruiting started in Sep? 2009, time over 55 tonnes was REQUIRED. Now there is NO MTOW limit, and the total time required was dropped from 4000 to 2500 jet. They will be getting more and more desperate every month, through probably about 2015.

cliff
LFW

Cliff,

I just read on Pprune (may not be entirely accurate) that a US CR9 driver was emailed that his aircraft type did not fit their requirements even though he was told he was eligible for an interview just a few months prior. Sounds like the requirements change quite a bit depending upon attrition rates at Emirates (it was high a few months back). So, not sure if regional drivers are "persona non grata" or not. Flip a coin.

They do have a spot on the application for CRJ's when filling our the MEJet time

Hi!

I heard that some (Euro?) airline just ceased operations, so that has changed EK's short-term recruiting situation. If they sent that info to the RJ guy, it was VERY short-sighted, because they are going to need RJ guys very soon. A LOT of them!

cliff

LFW

The applications of experienced guys are drying out in the International market with the economy turning around, I would give it a few more months and you will see the flood gates open again for RJ drivers pretty much everywhere

EXACTLY what Dumb Pilot said: The floodgates are SLOWLY opening, and Qatar and EK, especially are behind the power curve. I would HATE to be an airline recruiter between now and 2015!

cliff
LFW

Latest resources

Back