• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates to recruit 700 pilots next 18 months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would an american major airline look down on someone who went there now, lets say at a young age (25) and tried to get back later in life? Right now I'm a 25 year old FO at a regional and wouldn't mind going over there for a bit, but I'd like to eventually come back to the States. Would most majors look down on it? Thanks for the advice.

Aviatormar,

The problem you'd face is not that a US major wouldn't want you, it's that you probably wouldn't want a US major after a few years at EK.

A new hire FO at EK earns somewhere in the region of US$7500/mo take home. In addition to that, health, life and loss of license insurance are paid in full by the company, as well as accommodation and (most) utilities.

How much would you need to earn in the US to have that amount in your pocket after paying taxes, mortgage, utilities and insurance? Think about it. Probably somewhere around US$12,000/mo. Once you get used to that lifestyle and rate of earning, what will your options be in a few years? Get hired by Jet Blue or similar, starting at $4,000/mo BEFORE tax if you're lucky?

EK knows this. The pay package is designed to keep you there once you've started. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's definitely something to think about. Don't kid yourself that you'll go there for a few years and return to the US to fly for a major. It's not really practical.

I don't fly for EK but I have researched it thoroughly. Maybe someone who currently works there can add their opinion.

IF PIC time is a requirement at the US Legacies (I think all but Delta require PIC time to be considered - correct me if I am wrong), then you might want to stay in the US and get PIC time at your regional before heading to the ME. If you go to Emirates, the upgrade time could be 10+ years. So, if PIC time is important, you should probably remain at your regional and get that PIC time.

Good luck

Hi!

Most "big" airlines do not require PIC time, but there are jobs that do. At his age, I would say get your 1000 PIC jet, THEN go to EK. After 3-5 years at EK, especially with the situation now, I am SURE you would be eager to return to the US, either that or leave for a better overseas job, like DEC (Direct Entry Captain) somewhere else.

cliff
LFW

Don't underestimate the culture shock thing. You can read blogs, you can talk to folks who have been there, but you won't know if you like it until you and your family have lived there a while. Think long and hard about going to a place that can unilaterally change your working terms and conditions, just 'cuz.

Doesn't sound any different from the US airlines. They do what they want and let the unions file grievance's they could careless.

Once you get to Dubai and see the setup they have nothing in the US can touch their operation.

You need either 4000TT and 2000jet, or 2500 total time in a commercial, multi-engine airline jet equipment. If you only have 2000 hrs commercial airline and 3000 total, you don't meet either requirement (yet).

Hi!

Is TyphoonPilot here on FI???????????? EK MAY have PIC limits: All the CRJ guys I have heard of being interviewed were PICs. They DO have age limits, but they are NOT published on their hiring website...it is "secret". So they may also have "secret" PIC limits????

cliff
LFW

Latest resources

Back