• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates... regional pilots no longer qualified to work for us

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a crop duster pilot tell me never to fly for a living. Now there's a Real pilot. Someone not affraid to tell others like it is. By the way I did not listen to him and now see the wisdom in his words. It is my duty to tell every wanna be pilot I meet what was told to me years ago-(your better off in law school-hehe)

I'd take his 9 time over your rj time. At least the 9 is a real airplane.

How do you define a "real" airplane?

Such wise words... I bet when you started your career there were no RJs. It's not like we had a big choice in our career (hmmm, real airline plane or RJ). Have you ever flown a RJ? What makes it soooo different than your "real" airplane? Lemme guess, you fly more sectors/day, more approaches etc. right? What a "real" pilot!

I get really annoyed when I hear people dis the 9. If you are not a good pilot it will eat your lunch. A high percentage of rj pilots I have flown with are good button pushers, but their stick and rudder skills are lacking. A "real" pilot will HAND FLY an aircraft once in a while.

I get really annoyed when I hear people dis the 9. If you are not a good pilot it will eat your lunch. A high percentage of rj pilots I have flown with are good button pushers, but their stick and rudder skills are lacking. A "real" pilot will HAND FLY an aircraft once in a while.

I am not trying to bash your 9. I have never flown one, and unfortunately (probably) never will. I just get tired of people looking down at me b/c I fly the E145. I probably fly more sectors + approaches/day then a mainline guy does. I handfly ALL my approaches (vis and IFR) with the exception of CAT II. Hold my JAR-FCL ATPL as well. Google that to find out how much eff'ing effort it takes to get it! Then I get told I don't really fly and don't know what I am doing?

So what gives you mainline guys the right to tell me that I am not a real pilot? What gives you the right to generalize that ALL rj drivers are button pushers, iphone geeks and boring nerds?

I worked hard for my career. Once to stay financially afloat I had to haul heavy tree stumps, cut rich peoples grass and dodged bee stings I saw those overflying airplanes on approach to 1L/R @ IAD. For months. But I made it back into a flight deck.

Mind you, that all doesn't count. I am not a real pilot b/c I fly the E145.

Like I had a choice.

I said a high percentage. Not all rj guys. Just what i've seen in the last few years, a lot of guys are lazy. Years ago there was a lot more flying skill involved, not so anymore. A pilot can get to 4000 hrs and be "qualified" for a job at a major with no real hand flying experience. It's easy to build that time with the autopilot doing 95% of the work. I had 4000 hrs in my book before I ever saw an autopilot. Most of that time in a 135-121 environment. I'm just saying the automation makes people lazy. Maybe not you, but many of your peers. As a result, the flying skills may not be all that.

Worst co-pilot I ever flew with was a new hire Navy P3 guy. Nice guy, but couldn't hand fly the plane worth a crap. He blew through the approach on autopilot due to high winds and a bad intercept angle and decided to hand fly it. I had to take the plane and go missed because he kept trying to get back stabilized and didn't go missed when I told him to twice. Then had to take it again the following day during one of his botched hand flown missed approaches. Nice guy, but couldn't fly.

Latest resources

Back