• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Posts $1.6 Billion Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im sorry you feel this way.. this is a foreign airline... we have a section for that.. I let this go this long because profits were being compared at the time of origination.. It no longer bears on the majors sectioin here on FI..

You are welcome back anytime.. have a good day..

I am going to call you out on your explanation! The Air France CVR recovery thread is on the "MAJORS" page and has been there for 2 weeks and there is no mention of any "MAJORS" on it, so I guess you apply "THE RULES" as you see fit or Air France became a "MAJOR" and nobody told me! There is also another thread about a VIRGIN AUSTRALIA E190 on the "MAJORS" board, so I guess it is up to "YOUR RULES" not what is actually contained in the thread! Have a nice day!

uba757

Last edited:
Americans now represent the largest or second largest nationality on the flight deck at EK and they are actively recruiting Americans. Emirates has one of the largest widebody fleets in the world. I would argue it represents one of the absolute best career paths in the industry with regards to total earnings and command. If this airline doesn't belong on the Majors forum then there is something seriously flawed with FI.

Its all about control guys. Not about logic. We pay $10 bucks to come on a discussion board only to be told you can't talk about scabs, you can't cuss or use creative cussing, and now our airline is not a "major". They love the control factor of all of us who enjoy discussing topics here. If it was worth it to sue for my 10 bucks back, I would. Otherwise its pprune or airline pilot central.

FACT: None of the boards say U.S. in front of them and there are a lot of Americans at this MAJOR airline.

Interesting thread. A lot of misconceptions about Emirates and the UAE.

Fact: The government of Dubai gave Emirates $10 million in start up capital in the mid 1980s. Since then they have not given any more money to them. The Dubai government is the shareholder of Emirates and receives a dividend every year from the airline. This year Emirates paid the government a $543 million dividend.

Fact: Emirates buys jet fuel on the open market just like every other airline. We sometimes tanker fuel into Dubai because it's cheaper at some out stations than it is in Dubai. We rarely tanker fuel outbound.

Somebody talked about financing. That's an interesting topic. It's the in vogue thing for the Europeans and some Americans to complain about the Ex Im financing that Emirates just started using last year to fund a portion of their Boeing aircraft purchases. Ex IM financing is a set-up by the U.S. Government that is intended to help U.S. manufacturers in the exporting of products overseas. Really a non issue, but some choose to make it one.

U.S. carriers and U.S. pilots should be careful in complaining about financing. How much money did the U.S. government give to U.S. airlines post 9-11?

The competitive advantage that U.S. carriers enjoy via Chapter 11 reorganization shouldn't be dicounted either. That type of debt restructuring and/or forgiveness is not available to most foreign airlines.

Green does a reasonable job debating the pay issue. I'm the second most senior American at Emirates. I've been a captain for over 7 years now and certainly make much more than the published $10,000 month for a 10 year captain.

Schedule: Yes, we work hard. No doubt about it. The guys on the A330 work the hardest by far with lots of night turns to India. On the B777 when in top bid months the rosters can be very nice. That's one really nice point about the rosters. It's not like in a U.S. major where you are junior forever. The bid groups rotate so that you can be top bid at least twice a year. Great when your are a new joiner, not so great as you get more senior, but everyone is okay with it because it's fair.

People getting arrested in the UAE: Usually there is more to the story. A recent one about a Brit would died in jail made the news. He tried to throw a maid off the balcony at his hotel then fought with the police. Not handled well since he died in custody, but clearly he wasn't just walking down the street minding his own business before he was arrested. Couples arrested on the beach for indecent behavior have usually gotten a warning to stop first. When they argue and become belligerant they will get arrested. If they stop and say sorry then nothing usually happens.

The job isn't for everyone and it certainly has some drawbacks. That said it is far better then being on furlough or working at some places in the U.S. or elsewhere.

In terms of contract jobs. There isn't a single contract in the world right now that has as good a total pay and benefit package as Emirates. The only difference for some people is the ability to get home. At Emirates that is very difficult so some choose to take a contract that pays less and has far fewer benefits in order to have a commuting option. Korean is the prime example. Roughly $3000-4000 less per month in pocket, but a far better commuting option.

Typhoonpilot

Good for you, Typhoon pilot..stay there and dont go back to USAIR.

Dubai has virtually no oil. Emirates is based in Dubai and has been profitable for over 20 years. Abu Dhabi has a massive amount of oil and has started the airline Etihad with funding from oil revenues. The huge profit from EK is due to many factors. Once of which is that they are in the perfect position to connect growing regions like India, Africa, and Asia with the west.

Hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good emotional argument. I'm no fan of Emirates but some would do well to identify the real reasons - both for Emirates success and for their own current situation if they want to have any hope of really solving their problems and not just making themselves feel better.

Typhoon pilot

Hahahaha, that makes me the 3rd most senior American pilots here in EK.

From what I've read about payrise is that we've got a 3% step increase and the value of that 3% step increased by 5%! So we didn't get 8% increase but like 3.15%

Iluvetops

Latest resources

Back