• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Now Accepting Applications 14Sep2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PAX were upset because the plane was delayed due to MX. Apparantly, some of the PAX thought the crew wasn't doing enough (PAX's words, not mine).

10 to 12 A380's in the next 12 months. Picked up a canceled order from another airline.

I was wondering if anyone had any children in the school system there and if the allowance given by the company covered this? Seems like the schools are more expensive every year with no increase in amount paid by company?

That's about right. You can find schools that are below the allowance, but you really have to look. Schools went up this year and EK allowance did not change. Our former school went up by 10% and the bus by almost 50% and we were already above the EK allowance. We didn't really like the school that much anyways, so we changed schools this year. It's still above the EK allowance, but not by all that much and we are much happier with the school.

Schools will continue to increase their fees every year. Generally by at least 10%.

Also, there is no allowance for the uniforms. Uniforms are generally fairly expensive. Plus, all the after school activities normally cost extra. The buses are normally above the EK transport allowance too. A few of actually hired their own bus and that has brough the transport cost down for them.

We just had our fourth child and EK only covers three. Any more than three, and you are on your own.

........and never made a penny. What happens when the yearly losses exceed a couple billion dollars? Can't go on forever, even with the deep pockets of the Qatar government.

TP

They are way deeper then UAE pockets. Just back track DUBAI 10 years, thats where Qatar is now. Lucky enough atleast they have OIL and GAS to sell rather then depending on out side investers, travel and tourism to run the economy. Still have plenty of time before hiting the panic button. Market will be better in USA by then:) I hope.

Bull

A couple points about EK.

1. It's a good job with decent pay and good bennies, however if you already have a good job with all of the above, think twice before giving it up to come here.

2. There's ALWAYS more to the story than what you read on pprune.

But then again I think alot of the United furloughs etc. have been grounded for a while and may not meet the currency requirements. Some of us light jet guys may slip through the cracks..

True but you are not only competing with UAL, AA, US carrier furloughs. You are competing with pilots from all over the world. Europe, Africa, Asia, Pacific......

Last edited:
Hi!

I have read that the guys with 0 55,000 kg time have been getting a rejection email. At some point, EK will change their hiring standards to include the smaller-jet guys.

cliff
NBO

Just a quick addition: I've flown with two TRI's this month who have mentioned that EK must (forced?..I dunno) take 10 380's in the next 12 months. It's a career killer for existing 330/340 fo's to move over to the Super but that's what they've said EK will do. Maybe even move some jr 777 guys.

Latest resources

Back