Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny is correct and this is not the first time that Qantas offers leave to their pilots and coordinates preferential interviews and such, they have done it in the past with ANA and with EK also a few years back I think, I don't think there will be many takers since there are opportunities right now in S. E. Asia that are more commutable for them (no time zone changes and daily flights to OZ) I suspect the numbers will be very low, if any.

Kenny is correct and this is not the first time that Qantas offers leave to their pilots and coordinates preferential interviews and such, they have done it in the past with ANA and with EK also a few years back I think, I don't think there will be many takers since there are opportunities right now in S. E. Asia that are more commutable for them (no time zone changes and daily flights to OZ) I suspect the numbers will be very low, if any.

I am now hearing that EK mgmt retracted the Q offer and it no longer exists. Can anyone confirm this?

I am now hearing that EK mgmt retracted the Q offer and it no longer exists. Can anyone confirm this?

Did a trip with an instructor a couple of days back and he confirmed EK pulled the plug on the deal. He said that the Qantas CEO made some comment on some TV show and EK then pulled the plug.

Word in DXB is along with media comment from QF mgt, the internal email to their pilots suggested EK approached QF when in fact it was the other way around. After that was published EK said enough with the rubbish and shut it down.'

fv

Any truth to the rumor, they will interview and hire without the atp and you just need to get it before class?

The 30T requirement is complete and utter BS!! Tell me how a guy with 8000+ hours (all corporate jets), 5 jet type ratings, almost all jet PIC, almost all glass cockpit, state of the art cockpit, going into all different types of airports, short fields, mountain airports, large airports, international flying, crossing the pond, have to do own performance calculations/considerations, etc, is less qualified to fly a 777 than a guy who maybe has half the time but in a 737, A330 or something similar, going to the same airports all the time, has no clue about performance considerations, and basically is a robot of the airline? When we were hiring throughout the 2000's I used to get guys from the airlines (both in the sim and IOE) and boy were most completely full of sh.. and had no idea how to "legally" get out of a mountain airport because they were always handed everything!!

Yeah I can see how the guy who has the same amount of flight time as me except everything handed in a silver platter is more qualified than me to be a 777 F/O. Yup, very clear.

your argument is the reason...They want guys who fit the mold. Also, Flight Saftey type rides are pretty lax compard to airline training standards. Its more about following procedure than using your own head. The last thing most international places want is someone who can think for themselves. Captain is always right, even into the side of a mountain

your argument is the reason...They want guys who fit the mold. Also, Flight Saftey type rides are pretty lax compard to airline training standards. Its more about following procedure than using your own head. The last thing most international places want is someone who can think for themselves. Captain is always right, even into the side of a mountain

I've had several airline check rides as well, so that statement is not true...

However, the argument about following the system, not thinking for yourself, the Captain is always right, fitting the mold, dead on. Sad, but true.

That is why they prefer a 250 hour TT kid they trained from scratch, who knows only their ways, who will fly the airplane into the mountain, stall the airplane because he can only read the instrument and only react to what he knows, etc. The international recruiting airlines basically want monkeys who can follow directions. So you are completely correct in this sense!!

The 30T requirement is complete and utter BS!! Tell me how a guy with 8000+ hours (all corporate jets), 5 jet type ratings, almost all jet PIC, almost all glass cockpit, state of the art cockpit, going into all different types of airports, short fields, mountain airports, large airports, international flying, crossing the pond, have to do own performance calculations/considerations, etc, is less qualified to fly a 777 than a guy who maybe has half the time but in a 737, A330 or something similar, going to the same airports all the time, has no clue about performance considerations, and basically is a robot of the airline? When we were hiring throughout the 2000's I used to get guys from the airlines (both in the sim and IOE) and boy were most completely full of sh.. and had no idea how to "legally" get out of a mountain airport because they were always handed everything!!

Yeah I can see how the guy who has the same amount of flight time as me except everything handed in a silver platter is more qualified than me to be a 777 F/O. Yup, very clear.

I agree completely about the 30 tonne requirement. Arbitrary numbers like that never make sense.

Might go easier on airline pilots though. You are referencing U.S. airlines in general. Many U.S. airline pilots come from a corporate or regional pilot background. Others come from the military. I wouldn't call them inexperienced in the least. True they have it easier in that they get a lot more support than a corporate pilot. After awhile they will forget a lot of that early stuff like how to get a clearance at an uncontrolled field.

Pilots know what they need to know. Most can be taught or learn from experience.

The pilots at EK do there own takeoff performance calculations. They must be knowledgeable on international procedures to a greater extent than most airline pilots since they operate to just about every corner of the world. The ones that can't think for themselves will fail upgrade.

I would love to see EK start hiring corporate pilots or military pilots with no airline time. What I wouldn't want to see though is a know it all who typecasts all pilots based on their present position; thinks he is better than airline pilots; and has nothing to learn.

Typhoonpilot

I agree completely about the 30 tonne requirement. Arbitrary numbers like that never make sense.

Might go easier on airline pilots though. You are referencing U.S. airlines in general. Many U.S. airline pilots come from a corporate or regional pilot background. Others come from the military. I wouldn't call them inexperienced in the least. True they have it easier in that they get a lot more support than a corporate pilot. After awhile they will forget a lot of that early stuff like how to get a clearance at an uncontrolled field.

Pilots know what they need to know. Most can be taught or learn from experience.

The pilots at EK do there own takeoff performance calculations. They must be knowledgeable on international procedures to a greater extent than most airline pilots since they operate to just about every corner of the world. The ones that can't think for themselves will fail upgrade.

I would love to see EK start hiring corporate pilots or military pilots with no airline time. What I wouldn't want to see though is a know it all who typecasts all pilots based on their present position; thinks he is better than airline pilots; and has nothing to learn.

Typhoonpilot

I'd have to agree with TP's assessment. Only I would have said it like this..."dude, you have no idea what you're talking about". Anyone with an CPL can calculate performance...just because you open the QRH more than airline pilots do doesn't make you special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back