Emirates in talks with AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tut, tut..

Bangla, Pak, SL & India account for a rapidly growing market of 1.8bn people alone. No airline manager ignores that.

Africa has a population of 1.1bn with very little penetration by US carriers, they don't ignore that either.

To give you a taste...here is where we prvide widebody service to in Africa:

ABJ, ACC (2 1P/1F), ADD, ALG, CAI (2), CPT (2), CMN, CKY, DKR (2 1P/1F), DAR, DUR, EBB, HRE, JNB (4 -3P/1F) KRT,LFW (F), LLW (F), LOS (3- 2P/1F), LAD, LUN, MRU (2), NBO (3 - 2P/1F), SEZ (2), TIP (2 - 1P/1F), TUN.

India, Pak, Bangladesh & SL...too many to name...

These are seriously lucrative markets...discount at your peril...

...because AA & UAL management won't ignore a 3bn people market

fv

How's the economy currently in India? Not great. How about the instability in the ME itself? Not good. Does AA currently fly JFK to Milan MXP? I think your thought process leaves out big gaps. What did AC do with Etihad, again? Did Canada allow extra flights? Nope. They will codeshare through LHR, and a lot of the AC traffic from Canada to LHR has O&D traffic, not as many onward connections to Abu Dhabi and onward. What you also don't want to see is the European Airlines dislike of your Sandpit hub, and it's affect on their own profits. I see that as a hindrance to your global reach. They will do what they have to make sure they protect their marketshare, and using political influence from their elected leaders has already helped in some countries. It won't get easier. Buy up Indian airlines if you can, but infrastructure problems at those major Indian airports may last for another decade. You should know that fv, you do night turns to India and Pakistan all the time.

Bye Bye---General Lee

No 49% purchase allowed in the US. Max of 25% I think. (Branson only owns 25% of Virgin America). And, the USAir merger will probably go, as long as they give up stuff to satisfy the DOJ. Your dreams of moving your family out of the Sandpit and the crazy laws (rape victims jailed) back to the States isn't looking good. Sorry! Enjoy Hyderabad!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Crazy laws (rape victims jailed)? Crazy laws, like in the USA a reduced 30 day prison sentence for a teacher that raped his student (she then committed suicide)? Why are you so quick to judge American pilots in the ME? I know a couple there, and they have no desire to come back. Or is it just hard for you to accept that not everyone's epitome of a career is Delta/American/United? "Enjoy Hyderabad"? Seriously, who writes that? What kind of an airline pilot are you.

No I don't ...that's a lie. (Stay true GL, I know it's hard, just try to stay on topic ) One in 12 months. A line check. Stick to the truth.

EK cannot penetrate secondary cities in the US...the American carriers cannot get to secondary cities in Africa & sub- continent without an extra stop in Europe .. A dated model ..watch this space

fv

No 49% purchase allowed in the US. Max of 25% I think. (Branson only owns 25% of Virgin America). And, the USAir merger will probably go, as long as they give up stuff to satisfy the DOJ. Your dreams of moving your family out of the Sandpit and the crazy laws (rape victims jailed) back to the States isn't looking good. Sorry! Enjoy Hyderabad!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I believe the ownership laws allow for a 49% equity ownership position, but only 25% percent of the voting shares (control).

I could be wrong.

S

Crazy laws (rape victims jailed)? Crazy laws, like in the USA a reduced 30 day prison sentence for a teacher that raped his student (she then committed suicide)? Why are you so quick to judge American pilots in the ME? I know a couple there, and they have no desire to come back. Or is it just hard for you to accept that not everyone's epitome of a career is Delta/American/United? "Enjoy Hyderabad"? Seriously, who writes that? What kind of an airline pilot are you.

Did the rape victim go to jail? That doesn't happen here. How about "kissing" a girlfriend on the beach? You need to look on You Tube and see the video Qantas made for their crews (that now have to transit that airport) for all of the stuff to watch out for. Why subject your family to that when you are the one who gets to leave on trips? I know the airline job market wasn't great here in the last 5 years, but with legacies hiring again in the near future, I bet tons will be coming back (running back) to get away from that, and that may be bad for you since you also probably want to leave your loco eventually. Well, you go over there I guess and date a camel..... If you do, you will love allnight turns to Hyderabad.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I believe the ownership laws allow for a 49% equity ownership position, but only 25% percent of the voting shares (control).

I could be wrong.

S

From the Dallas News, an article in 2010:

"Right now, airlines from other countries, including those in the European Union, can’t own more than a 25 percent controlling interest in a U.S. airline."

On March 25th in Brussels, after 8 rounds of negotiations, here's what they came up with:

"The reciprocal liberalisation of airline ownership and control. This will require legislative changes in the US. Currently, foreign ownership in US airlines is limited to 25% of voting rights. Upon legislative change in the US, the EU will reciprocally allow majority ownership of EU airlines by US nationals."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Did the rape victim go to jail? That doesn't happen here. How about "kissing" a girlfriend on the beach? You need to look on You Tube and see the video Qantas made for their crews (that now have to transit that airport) for all of the stuff to watch out for. Why subject your family to that when you are the one who gets to leave on trips? I know the airline job market wasn't great here in the last 5 years, but with legacies hiring again in the near future, I bet tons will be coming back (running back) to get away from that, and that may be bad for you since you also probably want to leave your loco eventually. Well, you go over there I guess and date a camel..... If you do, you will love allnight turns to Hyderabad.
What is a loco?

Date a camel? You used to have posts with substance. Now you're just a d-bag with nothing but insult and attack posts.

I don't know what case in Dubai you are referring to in particular. As with ANY country, before you go there you need to be familiar with local laws and comply with them. I know several expat friends who have lived in Dubai for years and they have gotten along just fine. There are plenty of westernized areas of Dubai and some common sense prevailing will keep you out of trouble. You're full of excuses and insults towards other pilots, and are a real troll lately. Any respect you had has been gone now.

What is a loco?

Date a camel? You used to have posts with substance. Now you're just a d-bag with nothing but insult and attack posts.

I don't know what case in Dubai you are referring to in particular. As with ANY country, before you go there you need to be familiar with local laws and comply with them. I know several expat friends who have lived in Dubai for years and they have gotten along just fine. There are plenty of westernized areas of Dubai and some common sense prevailing will keep you out of trouble. You're full of excuses and insults towards other pilots, and are a real troll lately. Any respect you had has been gone now.

Huh? You fly for a "loco"--- a "Low Cost" airline. That is the term everyone uses on PPRUNE and in Europe (you don't go there). Anyway, your friends in the Sandpit may love it there, but that place does not have the protections that our Constitution has, and in most countries rape victims don't go to jail for adultery. Sorry, but hearing that made me sick. Hope nothing ever goes wrong for your friends, but that whole area "ain't fair." Nope. No thanks. You go out there and enjoy Pakistan turns at night, it may be your only chance to ever fly a widebody. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
49% of total stock, 25% of voting, and 1/3 of the board of directors can be foreign.

From the DOT itself:
"Generally the likelihood of foreign control increases when a foreigner holds a larger percentage of equity. In some instances, the Department has approved up to 49% total equity ownership (comprised of both voting and non-voting), but by statute foreigners cannot own, individually or in the aggregate, in excess of 25% of the voting stock...Generally speaking, the foreign equity interests over 25% have only been permitted where the foreign investors have been nationals of countries with which we have open skies aviation bilaterals (liberal bilaterals in earlier orders)."

References:
http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/Certificated_Packet_2012_final.pdf

http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-policy/licensing/US-carriers

Latest resources

Back