Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WestHouston

Something witty
Ok. I'm not trying to start a sh*t storm or anything, but what do they tell Embry Riddle guys? Do they really tell them that they are better pilots or that they will get more respect when they tell people that they went to Riddle?

I'm a flight instructor at a lowly local airport. We fly old airplanes. With torn seats. And funky 70's color schemes. With no GPS. A kid comes in and starts his CFI training at my school that did all his training at Riddle. First off, he's scared of steam gauges. He doesn't know how to navigate with a chart without a GPS. To make matters worse, he keeps talking about how he is going to get hired at the first airline he wants because Embry Riddle is known "industry wide" to be the best there is.

He acts like he feels sorry for the instructors there because we don't have the same training and "advantages" that he has, you know, being from Riddle and all.

I think he means well, but I have a hard time taking sympathy from a guy that needs a G1000 to feel safe around class Bravo airspace. Is this guy an anomaly or do they brainwash these guys into thinking they are God's gift to aviation?

That's why we call em Riddle Diddles. They are a bunch of prima donna dorks.

There's certainly enough Kool-Aid for everyone at those places. But I think this fine example was one of those propheads that I couldn't stand. A little rich boy who's always been handed everything, given what they told was the best and told they themselves were the best. They've never had to work for anything in their lives and their performance shows it.

In my opinion, the best combination is a Private from a local, small airport with 70s aircraft, Instrument and Commercial from a good 141 school (Riddle is good at what they do), and Multi from either a 61 or 141 school (pref 61).

The stick and rudder/pilotage and dead reckoning skills are vital and are generally not taught at an applicable level at 141. The structure of the 141 syllabus helps learn the rote knowledge Instrument requires, and the constant oversight at the Commercial level decreases the total hours required to complete the manuevers.

Obviously nothing can compete with experience though, and Riddle doesnt allow their students to gain it. X-wind more than 6 knots, oh well you're grounded. Thunderstorm within 500 miles of your route? Postponed until tomorrow.

The problem is that these places teach kids how to pass the commercial ride, not how to fly. I'm not singling out Riddle. But if some premadonna comes spouting that ********************, I will knock his ass out.

That's the standard product; clueless but confident.

Just ask him why he isn't at an airline yet. I mean, he did go to riddle, and thinks he's God's gift to aviation, so why hasn't he been snached up by psa yet?:laugh:

Latest resources

Back