• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjpos

To all, in an anonymous forum,

Here is the scoop;

I have over 12000 hrs total time, 19 years in the airlines, and an excellent work history!!!

I was furloughed from a 14 year career at a major airline 1 1/2 yrs ago and I have a delicate question.

I have apps out to several airlines and and hoping anyone with real experience and hard info could help with the following questions

My dui is 19 yearls old but it still does exist.

1) Does anyone know if a dui is an automatic disqualifyer (really, not legally) at the following airlines

USA 3000
Jet Blue
Fed Ex
UPS
Cathay Pacific

Any info (anonymously ofcourse) would help me a great deal. I have mucho qualifications and an excellent work history - just this thorn in my A## from years ago.

Looking for anyone who has had a dui and gotten hired at these or any other carrier and their experience and how they handled it.

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP IN THIS MATTER

Frettfully

CRJPOS

This doesn't help your problem at all, but I found it a humorous (and appropriate) anecdote from a Krusty Old Piedmont/US Air Kaptain ...

(with a severe Southern drawl) "Back in the 70's you couldn't git on with Piedmont unless you had at least one DWI and had f@cked up at least one airplane."

Just reminded me ... that's all.

Minh

IMHO I don't see why any airline would have a problem with that. Geez, it was almost 20 years ago. We all have done stupid things. Just be honest about it. As far as Fedex goes, the DUI is not going to be the problem. We have hired guys with a DUI's. Your problem is that your furloughed. Unless your furlough is from USAIR, the chances of getting an interview is slim to none (unless you know Fred, Jack, or Bruce personally!)

good luck

Thanx

Thanx for you input - I would have thoufht FEd Ex would have been a gonner for my carrer.
I would still appreciate any other hard information on other airlines if anyone has any.

Thank god for anonymity.

I am currently flying a crj ------piece of *%@#

thanx

crjpos said:
I am currently flying a crj ------piece of *%@#
Oh poor you. At least you have a flying job to keep you current until you get on somewhere else. Quit your whining.

Have no info regarding the airlines you are interested in, however I used to help with recruiting at a regional airline I worked at in the past. We interviewed several pilots with your dilemma - some got hired, some did not.

I think in general, if more than 10 years had past since the dui/dwi conviction and there were no other blemishes on their records– they were ok. I also remember this one individual who got a dui some 8 years ago. He actually brought a letter from the same judge who sentenced him during the initial dui proceeding.
It was basically a nice recommendation letter stating “the guy made a mistake in the past but has since matured and learned from his mistakes, etc.” The letter also mentioned that the individual had received treatment and counseling after the conviction, and now volunteered his off-time to counsel others. We verified the authenticity of the letter - the guy was hired. Maybe something similar could work for you too? …just a thought. Good luck with your aspirations.

"I am currently flying a crj ------piece of *%@#"

Wow, it's a good thing you aren't flying a Saab or some turboprop "piece of $h**". Then I'd really feel sorry for ya. I can guarantee if you go into an interview with that attitude, you won't have to worry about your DUI.

Good thing you aren't applying for President of the US. How long ago was Bush's DUI when the Democrats released it right before last election. Just pray the interviewer is not a Kerry supporter.

At JetBlue, it would problably not make a difference as long as your record has been clean since then. Apply on line and be honest at the interview. In a strange way, it could help. If you admit your mistake, it shows you are human and not afraid to take responsibility for a screw up. The JB interviewers would rather have some body who is human than some one who is Mr. Perfect. Best of Luck.

As far as I know, airlines only have access to your MVR, which would not show a 19 year old DUI. MVRs only go back 4 years, I believe. So, in reality you could simply omit that information. But please, double check.

Latest resources

Back