Embarrased DUI Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dui

I have a buddy that got a DUI 10 months ago and just got hired at a bigger regional. I wouldn't be to concerned.

You get what you pay for

I'm sure it was very helpful to receive all this wonderful advice about MVR's and FBI files.

I am always amazed at how willing some people are to give you such valuable information even though they have no idea what theyre talking about. Hey, my buddy heard it from some guy who knows somebody so it must be true right?

First of all, whats an MVR?? I think its something that someone here just made up because they don't have any idea what theyre talking about. Now an MVR could just be a Motor Vehicle Record. If thats the case then that record is whatever information that the state has where youre licensed. Each of those differs from state to state. Some states maintain records as far back as 10 years or more. Some are as few as 3 years.

THERE IS NO NATIONAL MVR. Whoever came up with that one is just making sh*t up. The national record that the airlines access is called the NDR. National Drivers Registry. By law after they passed the Pilots Information Act all airlines must run a check on the NDR before they can hire you. Also by law this record is available to them for the past 5 years. 5 years. Not 4. The record itself never expires. It has any serious violations that you've had since you were driving. It does not contain speeding tickets. It only contains things like DUI and reckless driving, suspended license, etc. Only serious infractions. While the timeframe that the record keeps is endless the airline may only access the previous 5 years. If you request a copy for yourself it will be issued for the entire timeframe of any entry dating back to when you started driving. Many people have no entries on this record. Thats because most people don't have a violation serious enough to be on there. A DUI would be there.

Airlines do not and cannot pull FBI files. However there is another national registry they can access to see if youve ever been convicted of a felony. Most DUI's are not felonies. Unless you hurt someone in a DUI related accident that should not be a problem.

Order a copy of your NDR. Just to review it. It really doesn't matter because the violation is over 5 years old but its good information to have.

However there is another national registry they can access to see if youve ever been convicted of a felony.
Uhhhh...would that be the NCIC?

j41driver said:
In response to CRJPOS saying that he's flying a "CRJ------piece of *%@#" I said:
Like I said before, what I said was a bit harsh but did I really deserve this response??
J41,

I was going to tell you guys to take it outside.... but it appeared that CRJPOS already tried and you had to drag it back in the school house.

Remember. Sticks and stones.

Now, go back outside and play nice.

Fate

Most Airlines Look At The Fact That You Were Arrested But No Conviction. There Are Ways To Dispute A Dui And If You Went To The Trouble The Airlines Will See That As A Positive . Arrested But No Conviction Is A Definite Plus. In Your Case You Were Found Guilty, But With A Good Record Since I Don't See Why An Airline Woul Not Look At You. We All Make Mistakes But We Must Correct Them.

Another issue is that after a certain year, any DUI conviction has to be noted on your medical application. I think yours was probably previous to the date that thing started, though.

I think that a nearly 20 year old DUI falls under the "tell us about a time when" category. Pretty simple. You made a mistake, took responsibility for it, and have had 19 years to prove that it was a one-shot deal and that you learned form it and moved on. As someone else said, it's almost a positive . . . . . .

Good luck.

Nitrogen is correct.

The NDR contains serious driving arrests. DUI, DWI, Wreckless, careless etc. Some laws are City ordinances that will not show up. In the city were I live, Exhibition driving is almost the same as wreckless, but it is a city ordinance, a 25$ fine. So it will not be on an NDR report.

Your local RAP sheet is kept at the local police, sheriff, and highway patrol dept. were you live or have lived. This information is not made public to anyone. I have a pistol permit and renew it every 4 years. They check my rap sheet and a flag always comes up were I have to meet with a detective. They have every time and every incident were your name was even mentioned in any criminal case, misdemeanor, etc. In my case I called in a domestic abuse situation. I was being the good neighbor and calling cops on a wife beater. BUT, my RAP sheet says, " date, time, involved in domestic abuse investigation".

I asked the officer why this was on there and he told me they keep everything. I told him the situation and he said this is routine and just wanted to clarify. I asked why he did not inquire more on the case to see that I was just the guy who reported the incident. He told me that it is easier and quicker to just ask me about it then spend months getting old reports out of a warehouse.

I asked if any employer were to see this they might draw the wrong conclusion. He said that this report is not available to anyone. I asked about the FBI. He said they have access to it, if they need it, they do not store it in a WOPR in Washington. He said they have only felonies and federal crimes on individuals at large and on known criminals, past, and present they collect archives.

What will an airline get, or any employer for that matter?

-NDR report, showing all driving related felonies and class 1 driving misdemeanors.

-State DMV record, in the case of SD, that is for 3 years back and that is it.

-Federal File – Which will contain all felonies, if any, time spent in federal prison, etc.

-FAA accident-incident record.

-College transcripts – at your concent

-High School transcripts – at your concent

Remember one important factor that can land you a DWI.... BAD LUCK, most airlines know this. Most pilots on this forum have driven while intoxicated at some point of their lives, just that some have gotten caught. Keep fighting for that job, i'm sure there have been many pilots hired under your same scenerio.

Latest resources

Back