emb145xr...how's it doin' on long flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vmc-hound

This is a question regarding those pilots who fly the Emb-145XR those long flights from houston, dallas etc to california etc. And are you running into weight and fuel problems extending the useable range of the airplane most are "banking" our futures on?

vmc-hound said:
This is a question regarding those pilots who fly the Emb-145XR those long flights from houston, dallas etc to california etc. And are you running into weight and fuel problems extending the useable range of the airplane most are "banking" our futures on?
I'm running into my ass feels like a lead brick problem.

The XRis at it's best on long flights. On the longer flights landing structure limits become a smaller problem or not a problem at all.

The biggest problem on the long flights are blader or a$$ limitations!

Actually, the airplane is doing quite well. Weight is never an issue. You can have 50 passengers, 13,300 pounds of fuel and be on your way for a 4 hour flight. If the burn is going to be less than about 9,000 pounds, you'll be landing structural limited but that's still hardly ever problem. I think our longest flight will be Houston to Boise pretty soon, which is really stretching the mission capability when the winds are high or when multiple alternates are required. Embraer advertises that the airlpane has a 2,000 mile range with reserves, but I think the effective range is more around 1,500 miles by the time you add in contingency fuel, alternates, ect. We also just got approval to takeoff and land at field elevations up to 10,000 MSL. That was needed to fly to some of the places down in Mexico.

IAH-BOI will be ok until you throw some alternates in the mix. IAH-SLC with an alternate of PIH (Pocatello ID) is about all that airplane will do with average winds. When the winds pick up and the weather gets bad around Boise, it will be a route with a fuel stop or a 40-45 pax airplane. Remember when we did RDU-IAH in the ER's? Same story. They are stretching the mission capabilities on this airplane to get into markets that will work great with the 190's when they come.

I do that IAH-BOI thing next month. Got a nice big book for that 3:58 block. Lets see if it makes it on time..

Of course I might be close to a 30/7 too...;)

I hope your seats are better then the ones in the CRJ.. I can't go more than an hour 45 before my ass starts hurting.. I couldn't imagine going 4 hours..Yikes!!

I think both Bombardier and Embraer chose to save money by designing their own seats. IPECO would have been a better choice. The one thing that does tend to make a difference on the EMB is age of the seat. (Newer is better.) Does anyone have the Oergon Aero seat cushion? I'm thinking about getting one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back