Email from Airtran MEC: Secret MOU between SWA and SWAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There should never have been any offer.
We were supposed to be negotiating a list. The company took it upon themselves to stick their nose in and ultimately intimidate and bully the ATI pilots.
Nothing can be done about this now, it's history but I will never trust them or SWAPA.
Again and again I keep pointing out that SWA was invited into the negotiations through the process agreement, yet that point falls on deaf ears. Why were they invited if they were not expected to participate? Did SWA bully the other 3 parties into signing that document?

Again and again I keep pointing out that SWA was invited into the negotiations through the process agreement, yet that point falls on deaf ears. Why were they invited if they were not expected to participate? Did SWA bully the other 3 parties into signing that document?

Again and again you miss the point.
We were negotiating a list.
SWA could have participated all they wanted. Instead they took over and the rest is history.

How can you post such drivel? GK might be a demigod down in DFT, but I doubt he has inside info on individual pilot's personal fiscal situation.

Maybe you're speaking about your own personal situation, I don't know.

Common knowledge as far as ATI FO's were concerned. Not difficult to figure out.

How can you post such drivel? GK might be a demigod down in DFT, but I doubt he has inside info on individual pilot's personal fiscal situation.

Maybe you're speaking about your own personal situation, I don't know.
You don't think Fornaro clued Gary Kelly about AirTran pilots during discussions in 2010?

My personal situation. Wife and I plan to be totally debt free (including house) in less than 18 months. I am ready to go on strike for a year if SWAPA asks me too. Doubt that will be necessary.

SWA could have participated all they wanted. Instead they took over and the rest is history.

Nothing in the three party agreement prevented SwA from interjecting in the list. In fact the agreement specifically gave SwA the right, the privilege and the duty to do just that.

You are ignoring facts to write your own history. You need to wake up and smell the coffee we call "reality of facts"

Last edited:

You have valid points.

Don't you believe too, that SWA as the company purchasing AirTran had the right to participate. If I purchased another company I kinda feel like I should have that right as well. After all it is their money, right? Personally I think they should do what they want and if they felt there own employees should not have their seniority decided by an unknown person then that is SWA's right to do so.

My only heartburn with the company is they should have made their intentions clear on day one. But they tried to play the nice guy even going to the point where Gary Kelly said he couldn't intervene in the seniority integration.

Bottom line though, SWA can and should do what it thinks is fair and right for the business. It's their money they can do what they want.

Well said Kit Darby!

Gary didn't want a USAir/AWA deal. He saw what happens when management doesn't get involved.

Nothing in the three party agreement prevented SwA from interjecting in the list. In fact the agreement specifically gave SwA the right, the privilege and the duty to do just that.

You are ignoring facts to write your own history. You need to wake up and smell the coffee we call "reality of facts"

Not ignoring the facts at all. Just pointing out what happened.
Truth is I don't care any more. This is just a job now. Nothing more nothing less.

Exactly Scoreboard. The company carried the checkbook if it was required during the negotiations.

Brit,

You talk about it being about a negotiated list. IT WAS. The 2 NC's worked out a list and Gary came in with the money for the AAI pilots.

So what happened in offer two? Gary withdrew his money and the list was adjusted slighty and it was over. So in the end, you had a list with NO money on the AAI side.

The first offer was always going to be the best. I was in serious doubt that it ever would go to arbitration. That pretty much played out as I expected.

The Airtran pilots got steamrolled over the actions of the Magnificent Seven.

It looks more and more like an arbitrated list could have turned out worse for the Airtran pilots.

You have valid points.

Don't you believe too, that SWA as the company purchasing AirTran had the right to participate. If I purchased another company I kinda feel like I should have that right as well. After all it is their money, right? Personally I think they should do what they want and if they felt there own employees should not have their seniority decided by an unknown person then that is SWA's right to do so.

My only heartburn with the company is they should have made their intentions clear on day one. But they tried to play the nice guy even going to the point where Gary Kelly said he couldn't intervene in the seniority integration.

Bottom line though, SWA can and should do what it thinks is fair and right for the business. It's their money they can do what they want.

Did Delta purchase NWA? Did Delta get involved with SLI negotiations?
The thing is that the law says SWA cannot do what it wants. So they figured a way around the law and it worked.
The only problem was that it alienated 1750 employees of SWA, the ATI pilots.
That's where we are today.

Latest resources

Back