• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

c9skytrain

February 12, 2013

Fellow Pilots,

In the past few days, the MEC has learned of the existence of two previously unknown Memoranda of Understanding (MOU), signed between Southwest Airlines and the prior leadership of the Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association (SWAPA). Both documents were negotiated and agreed to without the knowledge of or consultation with the ATN MEC or the ATN pilot group.

The first MOU appears to have been agreed to on September 20, 2011, although it was not signed until November, 2011. The ATN MEC, without being informed about those discussions or the MOU itself, sent the current Seniority Integration Agreement (SIA) for membership ratification on September 21, 2011.

This 2011 MOU states that current Southwest Airlines pilots would be awarded any future captain vacancies resulting from the transition of the AirTran B-737 and that the vacancy bid would close no later than the September, 2014, bid period. In essence, this MOU attempts to front-load captain training for Southwest pilots and further states that former AirTran pilots would be excluded because they are barred from holding a captain seat at Southwest prior to January 1, 2015. To put it even more plainly, it potentially provides a mechanism for current Southwest pilots to claim upgrades much more quickly than we thought was likely under the provisions of the three-party SIA.

The second MOU, signed on December 11, 2012, requires the company to establish a Southwest B-737 domicile in Atlanta in August 2013, in exchange for waiving the SIA provision requiring a B-717 domicile with 15 RON aircraft on January 1, 2015. We are still examining its implications and do not want to comment further on the legal issues—under the SIA, for example—until we have completed our analysis.

On many levels, it is unacceptable that Southwest management secretly negotiated an MOU with SWAPA while engaging in three-party talks with us, and that the MOU would run counter to the letter and the intent of the agreed-to SIA. It is also troubling that management then repeated the process this past December, with the domicile MOU.

Yesterday, in a Regular MEC Meeting held in our office, the MEC officers and status representatives communicated our deep dissatisfaction with this course of events to Vice President of Flight Operations Captain Chuck Magill and Senior Vice President of Labor Relations Captain Randy Babbitt. Though we will continue to engage management on this serious issue, it is the intent of your MEC to fully enforce the terms of the SIA agreement as negotiated, and as agreed to by Southwest Airlines, SWAPA and the AirTran pilots. We are working closely with our legal team to explore the full meaning and impact of these newly discovered MOUs, and we will use all of the resources at our disposal to rectify this situation.

In the meantime, it is very important that you continue to perform as the consummate professionals that you have proven to be. It is also imperative to avoid commentary in public or on any forum that can and will be read by Southwest management. The MOUs are attached in this message and posted on the ATN Merger Hub website. Please direct any questions to the P2P volunteers or send e-mails to [email protected]. They are your conduit to the MEC and have been fully briefed on this matter. We will keep you updated as we move forward.

In service,

Your ATN Master Executive Council

Thank you for the message Benedict Arnold

Are you afraid that people will actually see how SWA operates? That you guys have weaknesses just like everyone else? And that the Airtran pilots were getting screwed from the beginning.....

You guys are kinda like a cult over there.....

Are you afraid that people will actually see how SWA operates? That you guys have weaknesses just like everyone else? And that the Airtran pilots were getting screwed from the beginning.....

You guys are kinda like a cult over there.....

Cue the black helicopters! The MOU was posted on SWAPAs website before the AT vote was sent out. AT MEC is grasping at straws and they know it. The second MOU just says it's okay from SWAPA To open a737 base in ATL instaed of a 717 base. If the AT guys feel screwed they only have themselves and their own management to blame. If its so bad and the future is so horrid, leave start over at the new AA, DELTA OR UAL. take a risk Alligiant and Spirit are hiring, and Alaska just Opened their window. Sometimes I feel the only people with bigger thoughts of self entitlement are...nobody not even American auto workers from the 80's and 90's. If AT was such a great place with a bright future why was it for sale? They all have jobs right, and great jobs at that. Their airline got purchased by a company that is rated one of the best in the USA, I'd say most, maybe even 85% of the folks over there are happy and ready to move on. So should we

Cue the black helicopters! The MOU was posted on SWAPAs website before the AT vote was sent out. AT MEC is grasping at straws and they know it. The second MOU just says it's okay from SWAPA To open a737 base in ATL instaed of a 717 base. If the AT guys feel screwed they only have themselves and their own management to blame. If its so bad and the future is so horrid, leave start over at the new AA, DELTA OR UAL. take a risk Alligiant and Spirit are hiring, and Alaska just Opened their window. Sometimes I feel the only people with bigger thoughts of self entitlement are...nobody not even American auto workers from the 80's and 90's. If AT was such a great place with a bright future why was it for sale? They all have jobs right, and great jobs at that. Their airline got purchased by a company that is rated one of the best in the USA, I'd say most, maybe even 85% of the folks over there are happy and ready to move on. So should we

This is clearly an attempt for the MEC to try and save face after not sending out Agreement 1. After having egg on their face, they are dumpster diving to find anything they can hold up and cry foul.

None of this changes SL10 or the future.

So SWAPA negotiated a possible transition time frame for the 737s (this isn't even about the 717), what does that matter. If the agreement didn't pass by either side, this MOU would have been void anyway.

They agreed to a ATL 737 base. Why? Because there won't even BE a 717 around to have a base there.

Grasping at straws is exactly right. Maybe they can ask USAPA for help next.

ALPA just wants us to keep paying. Why else put this memo out?

Here is a summary of the last few ALPA memos:

1. Atlanta base. You think it sounds good but you need ALPA to make sure: Keep paying.
2. We have filed a DRC complaint. See we are still fighting with SWAPA: Keep paying.
3. We found a secret MOU. You really need us now: Keep paying.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure the last thing you tell a client is: "Hey this MOU is the smoking gun. Tomorrow we are filing several suits and asking for an injunction... before we do that please tell 1700 people.... Oh yeah and make sure you tell those 1700 not to share it with anyone."

Watching the clown show is hilarious. We now have the:
1. See, we should have taken #1 group
2. We told you so group
3. Wake me up if anything changes or I have to go to Dallas group

All the while ALPA is laughing all the way to the bank.

This one is bewildering. Secret??? It was in broad daylight....

And would ATN ALPA prefer there be no base in ATL at all?

WTH?

AirTran guys: someone should put a leash on your MEC. No one takes kindly to having their time wasted. That's all this is.

ALPA just wants us to keep paying. Why else put this memo out?

Here is a summary of the last few ALPA memos:

1. Atlanta base. You think it sounds good but you need ALPA to make sure: Keep paying.
2. We have filed a DRC complaint. See we are still fighting with SWAPA: Keep paying.
3. We found a secret MOU. You really need us now: Keep paying.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure the last thing you tell a client is: "Hey this MOU is the smoking gun. Tomorrow we are filing several suits and asking for an injunction... before we do that please tell 1700 people.... Oh yeah and make sure you tell those 1700 not to share it with anyone."

Watching the clown show is hilarious. We now have the:
1. See, we should have taken #1 group
2. We told you so group
3. Wake me up if anything changes or I have to go to Dallas group

All the while ALPA is laughing all the way to the bank.

ALPA is concerned about dues above all else? No. Say it isn't so. :D

Latest resources

Back