• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Electronic Plates on Ipad or Kindle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you still have to carry paper charts as a back up with the EFBs/IPads? I've heard that you still have to at least print out all of the destination and alternate plates.

Do you still have to carry paper charts as a back up with the EFBs/IPads? I've heard that you still have to at least print out all of the destination and alternate plates.

The i-pad is not a Class II EFB so yes, you would need paper on board. With an actual purpose-built EFB, it depends on what class it is certified in. Part 135 and 91K operators also need a sign-off from their FSDO to go completely paperless. Not sure if a straight 91 operation would need that as well. I'm sure there is an Advisory Circular somewhere that covers the hoops to be jumped through but I'm too lazy to go find it. And my company failed in its EFB effort so it's hard to care.

Neither 91 subpart F or AC91-78 requires paper backup charts OR FSDO EFB approval for Part 91 operations...but IMO it wouldn't be prudent to operate paperless with just a single source of electronic charts.

AC91-78 said:
6. REMOVAL OF PAPER FROM THE COCKPIT FOR OPERATIONS UNDER PART 91.

a. EFBs/ECDs can be used during all phases of flight operations in lieu of paper reference material when the information displayed meets the following criteria:

(1) The components or systems onboard the aircraft which display precomposed or interactive information are the functional equivalent of the paper reference material.

(2) The interactive or precomposed information being used for navigation or performance planning is current, up-to-date, and valid.

NOTE: Supporting reference material such as legends, glossaries, abbreviations, and other information is available to the pilot but is not required in the cockpit during operation.

b. The in-flight use of an EFB/ECD in lieu of paper reference material is the decision of the aircraft operator and the pilot in command. Any Type A or Type B EFB application, as defined in AC 120-76A may be substituted for the paper equivalent. It requires no formal operational approval as long as the guidelines of this AC are followed.

c. It is suggested that a secondary or back up source of aeronautical information necessary for the flight be available to the pilot in the aircraft. The secondary or backup information may be either traditional paper-based material or displayed electronically.

Last edited:
Nicely done Boiler. Confirmed my suspicion the straight 91 doesn't need anything official but I agree on the paper backup.

Nicely done Boiler. Confirmed my suspicion the straight 91 doesn't need anything official but I agree on the paper backup.

We operate our airplane "paperless" with a single ProLine21 IFIS file server & iPad backup, though we do carry Jepp paper enroute charts.

We're "paperless" in the Gulfstream 50 series too (Planeview is worth it just for that feature) but we carry paper en route charts also. I want the i-pad with Jeppesons for the tours when I'm stuck in the classic V.

iPad meets the criteria of class II (or class I, I forget) if you read the AC. If you have e-charts in the airplane and an iPad your good 91. Its a good idea to carry a back-up e-source for charts or just print what you need but it isn't necessary.

We operate our airplane "paperless" with a single ProLine21 IFIS file server & iPad backup, though we do carry Jepp paper enroute charts.

It's nice in the 550 too- got QRH, Flight Man, Various trip info & FPs on it, newspapers, magazines round it out.

I want the i-pad with Jeppesons for the tours when I'm stuck in the classic V.

Oh you poor poor b*stard! The thought of flying a G-V just makes me ashamed of my profession...

Bwahaa, you could always come back to the "where are the HF radios" G-IV.

Just busting your chops bro.

:laugh:
Wolf

Latest resources

Back