Electronic Plates on Ipad or Kindle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can you dim the iPad for night flying?

Yes, and you can also set it to white on black by triple-clicking the home button. I like it real dark up front and this setting works well for me. Give Foreflight a try. You'll be amazed. It seems each month they add new features.

if your airline subscribes to Jeppesen, there is a way to log in and download all charts that they subscribe to. I can download the entire airport in one PDF, or each separately. Works great with goodreader on the ipad.

Do the iPad's come with a solid state drive yet? We are looking at adding a couple more EFB's but don't want to fork out 4k for more efb's like we currently use. I know our Director doesn't want to get anything that isn't approved for pressurization issues. BTW, we use jeppview

Do the iPad's come with a solid state drive yet? We are looking at adding a couple more EFB's but don't want to fork out 4k for more efb's like we currently use. I know our Director doesn't want to get anything that isn't approved for pressurization issues. BTW, we use jeppview

Yes, no moving parts. P91 0r P135? In my mind the pressurization issue is a non- issue for P91. iPad is the only way to go.

<---MF

They dont technically have SSDs....but NAND (NOT AND) flash memory. Either way theres no hard drive spinning.

JeppvievTC app for the iPad works fine. Its a good, simple chart viewer.

Hopefully Jepp wont totally D*CK it up like the have done to Jeppview and its wonderful useless features for Piper Saratoga pilots.

Just get em...really a no-brainer for an EFB these days, eliminates lots of paper in the plane (company manuals etc)....and its a great laptop substitute on the road (netflix, email etc) with great battery life.

Others have posted that they have gotten them 135 approved. Guess it depends on your local useless FAA folk.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but thanks for the replies. We are a 91 operator and use the fujistsu efb's and use jeppview flight deck. We also use nexrad radar on them. We are wanting to add a couple more and wanted to do some research on the iPad. So they can do jeppessen plates, Do you update them the same as you would the efb (cd-rom through jeppview)?

What about intl charts? Is it the same as with Jeppview?

How about using a bluetooth gps and xm radar?

Thanks again for the responses!

Last edited:
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but thanks for the replies. We are a 91 operator and use the fujistsu efb's and use jeppview flight deck. We also use nexrad radar on them. We are wanting to add a couple more and wanted to do some research on the iPad. So they can do jeppessen plates, Do you update them the same as you would the efb (cd-rom through jeppview)?

What about intl charts? Is it the same as with Jeppview?

How about using a bluetooth gps and xm radar?

Thanks again for the responses!

No USB port on iPads. Updates are done via wifi. We have worldwide subscription and it takes about 5(?) mins.

The iPad has bluetooth. No idea on gps usage that way...luckily our planes actually have GPS..:)

The GPS would work with the bluetooth capability of the iPad but as far as getting nexrad I don't know. Our EFB's use a usb cord for the nexrad. There might be another way to get it I just don't know. If anyone knows please chime in.

Thanks

I use both Kindle DX and iPad for charts. iPad is the main with kindle as back-up. Foreflight has terminal, SID, STARS, and enroutes (highs and lows), and VFR sectionals all for $75 a year. Kindle has terminals, SIDs, and STARS. I use pdfplates.com for the Kindle (check out their download client function). Supposedly you can get nav charts from faa.gov in PDF format for the Kindle however the iPad does so much more I'll just use the Kindle as a back-up.

I do contract 91 work so in the eyes of the Feds I'm good to go with both systems. As far as 135, our POI is willing to approve our EFB set-up as long as we comply with the six months paper back-up. IMO... iPad is the way to go especially if you have an eJepp subscription which we do. You can get e-trip kits for airports not covered by FAA. So far the EFBs have saved my over $1000 in paper charts.

I even use the scratch pad feature on foreflight for clearances and such so I truely am paperless.

Latest resources

Back