Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EJA/Hawker Midair w/ Glider....Everyone OK - Merged!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Narrative on referenced incident

cjdriver said:
The Hawker has a keel, designed to be used for a belly landing, and can be removed for repair. We actually got to do a gear up landing in the sim, and it was quite realistic, shook the sim pretty good. You land gear up when you can't get the NWS centered so you don't depart the runway on landing. Also, the Hawker is a tank. I think one took a SAM in Africa once and made it down OK. There might be some pictures of it out there somewhere.

According to the Aviation Safety Network, a service of the FSF.

Narrative:
A BAe-125 owned by the Botswana Government was carrying the President of Botswana, J.K. Quett Masire, and his staff to a meeting in Luanda. An Angolan MiG-23 Flogger pilot fired two R-60 (AA-8 Aphid) missiles at the plane. One missile hit the no. 2 engine, causing it to fall off the aircraft. The second missile then hit the falling engine. The captain of the business jet was incapicated when the cabin steward was blown forward, onto him. The co-pilot made a succesful emergency landing on a bush strip at Cutio Bie.

Sidenote:

I had a skipper once who landed an F-4 gear up on the lakebed at Edwards AFB. He said if he had to do it over again, he wouldn't.

Steve said:
I know you guys have your checklists to run but collision avoidance is the responsibility of all pilots (when in vmc). Lets not start putting all the blame on the glider pilot.

Ok Stevie,

With all the moutains around the area where this happened did the glilder choose to be in a area known to have a lot of commerical jet traffic. There are many other areas around the area to glide. That area is a normal arrival route for RNO, everyone knows it that is from the area.

It is high time that anytime you want to go over 10000ft you have a transponder on.

RNO
You are being nice. Any object that is flying at an altitude of greater than 100 (yes that is one hundred) feet needs to have a operating mode C or better transponder. I would love to see this kind of push from the FAA/NTSB. I would also love to let APOA know that I would drop my membership over this if they fought it.

But it will never happen, that is untill it takes out a full 737,, then maybe we will see a change.

I know nothing about gliders, but would like to throw out some kudos to the glider pilot as well for getting out of this in one piece as well.

And a definite job well done by the Hawker crew. Those pics made my stomach turn just looking at them. Unbelievable job on landing that thing.

Fozzy said:
RNO
You are being nice. Any object that is flying at an altitude of greater than 100 (yes that is one hundred) feet needs to have a operating mode C or better transponder. I would love to see this kind of push from the FAA/NTSB. I would also love to let APOA know that I would drop my membership over this if they fought it.

But it will never happen, that is untill it takes out a full 737,, then maybe we will see a change.

PSA flight 182 in 1978(ish).

A PSA 727 hit a C-172 and killed everyone in mboth airplanes plus a few on the ground.

A northwest DC-9 hit a small Piper aircraft and scattered it's pieces over a trailer park (1980's)

Folks... all of this is history repeating itself.

How many more times do we have to play it all over again?

It's voo ja de... all over again.

this will all disappear...

FraxJockey said:
What happened to the first thread? Just magically disappeared...like this one probably will.

Didn't you see Conspiracy Theory ? Space Shuttle crashes are linked to earthquakes. Last time the Shuttle blew up, one of our planes was destroyed and the crew did a hero's job of saving everyone, but it was never news. It got displaced Gary Condit style. Now all eyes are on Hurricane Ernesto; that'll determine if the Shuttle is launched. Personally, you couldn't get me on that thing for a million bucks; Tang or no Tang. But, it all makes perfect sense.

Stay tuned

Last edited:
niteflyr said:
I know nothing about gliders, but would like to throw out some kudos to the glider pilot as well for getting out of this in one piece as well.

And a definite job well done by the Hawker crew. Those pics made my stomach turn just looking at them. Unbelievable job on landing that thing.

Sounds like she did it after being smacked in the face with several peices of glass and metal that used to be the instrument panel. I bet if they had any instruments, their function was unreliable.

I am sensing some awesome stick n rudder here guys. It's amazing nothing hit the tail or other vitals spinning back there.

Latest resources

Back