eating on a budget during a trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
vmc-hound said:
What cheap foods(or anythings for that matter)do you eat during a 3 or 4 day trip?

Bid hotels with a free breakfast. Steal oatmeal, fruit, and cereal bars. I also bring packets of instant grits, microwave popcorn, and the little tuna and/or chicken salad snack packs. Also, liberate snacks from the galley.

Secret Squirrel said:
I guess all these super pilots on here that are attacking this thread magically got jobs at high paying companies. I guess they got a hundred thousand dollars a year to flight instruct and then were paid two hundred grand for their first F.O. position. (Your dad must own the Gulfstream 200) Congratulations guys on your superior job progression. And let me be the first to tell you to Shut the F*ck up. We do not care what you think.
No it is simply having enough pride in your profession that you will not accept a job that pays less than the fricking fry cook at McD's.

Wow this is the saddest thread ever.

Personally i type in my pager for
breakfast- Breakfast burrito, fresh fruit, and fresh oj.
Lunch- chicken ceasar wrap with a side of rice pudding
Dinner- (if a long flight) Roasted tomatoe soup, Avacado, tomatoe and humus on wheat. Cheese plate.

And yes you'll gain 10 pounds the first year. No g200 we don't have to pay for our food. I don't consider perdiem part of my pay. I'm more than willing to go have a nice sit down lunch at a restaurant. Problem is the company knows it would cost more so they are more than willing to give me perdiem plus food to keep the plane running. Perdiem is never part of pay. I end up blowing it plus a couple of months worth in LAS.

Last edited:
501261 said:
No it is simply having enough pride in your profession that you will not accept a job that pays less than the fricking fry cook at McD's.

wow. a novel idea.

get paid a decent enough wage to avoid cooking hotdogs in coffee pots on your regional airliner...

WTF.

Tell the student loan people that

Then get a better paying job.

Is that why the coffee on regionals taste so bad? It's really hotdog water?

This is one of the most pathetic and saddest threads ever. I make $2/hr perdiem for domestic trips which I mostly bid. When I'm on the road, I'll eat the catering on the flight, which we have menu selections. Occasionally I'll get something to eat at the cafeteria at the sort. At the hotel I'll typically go have dinner around 5pm with the rest of the crew. We usually end up going to a nice restaurant and I'll spend around $15-20 for the meal. I'll bring with me $150 for a week long domestic trip to spend on food.

.99 value menu

hire_me said:
The best deal I've found is the small chili at Wendys. It's $.99 whether you're in LGA or RDU. Two of these fills me up and you'll get plenty of fiber too.!

Agreed!

Wendy's small chili and a baked potato are each 99 cent, and will fill you up. I'm still farting halfway to Biloxi!

Try this

This really works.

On the CRJ, before starting the APU, dump a jar of Orville Redenbacher into the APU exhaust grille.

Then start the APU.

In about 2 minutes, you'll have enough healthy, low-fat, air-popped popcorn to feed the entire crew for a whole 4-day trip.

Latest resources

Back