• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJPilott

Release # 02.65
July 18, 2002

American Eagle Pilots Protest Transfer of Aircraft and Jobs

EULESS, TX--The following statement was released today by Captain Herb Mark, chairman of the American Eagle unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), in response to the announcement by American Eagle management that it will transfer the aircraft and operation of 14 Embraer 145 jets to Trans States Airlines, an American Connection carrier, in November.

"Our collective bargaining agreement requires that if American Eagle transfers all or part of the airline's operation, our pilots and contract will be transferred with the aircraft. Unless American Eagle management plans to comply with these provisions, their announcement amounts to a declaration of war against the Eagle pilots’ contract.Management’s action, apparently taken to satisfy the obligations of American Airlines under its contract with the Allied Pilots Association, belies the assertion of American Airlines and Eagle managements that the carriers are 'separate' entities for purposes of the Railway Labor Act.

"Eagle management continues to blame the American Airlines pilots' union for the restrictions on flying at American Eagle. This provision was freely negotiated between both parties and should not have come as any surprise to AMR management.

"Eagle and ALPA entered into a highly unusual contract that extends for 16 years. This contract was intended to provide the pilots of American Eagle with long-term job security and competitive pay rates. Instead, management has continued to outsource American Eagle flying to the American Connection and continues to pay wages that are up to 20 percent below average pay scales for pilots of express-type carriers. To date, Eagle has been more than willing to accept the benefits of the contract, but is unwilling to provide the job security guaranteed by the agreement. It is time for Eagle to keep its end of the bargain.”

According to Captain Mark, ALPA is evaluating all legal and political options.

The Air Line Pilots Association, International, represents 66,000 pilots at 43 airlines in the United States and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at http://www.alpa.org.

With such a blatant violation of the Eagle contract, what are you guys hearing from your MEC and ALPA? Any word on the other grievance? I'm curious is self-help will become and option if the company continues to push?

Special ALPA meeting in Herndon this week. Stay tuned. A lot of pilots who were fence sitters are starting to get angry. Bad times ahead at Eagle.

It is a basic answer.....Leave Eagle!!!!! How many more signs/signals does it take? Come on over to ASA or something. Go to EJA.....Even though options are limited, there are better places out there.

Leaving Eagle seems to be a good option if you are sure of a good move. Most other airlines hiring now have a short upgrade and better life-style. I have friends at Eagle who have been wanting to upgrade and from what it looks like it wont happen for a very LONG time (one is going to be shoved back to reserve jet FO after three and a half years at eagle). Sounds like the three and a half years seniority is useless. You could be a reserve FO on an RJ at a number of regionals as a new hire. I say jump ship to a growing company that is not restricted with scope and is getting more airplanes. All the 121 experience would most likely allow you to have the pick of regionals you want. Just a thought. We have quite a few ex-eagle guys working at Air Wisconsin who were hired pre 9-11 and they all have lines as FO's in the RJ or are junior captains in the turbo-prop. Unfortunately we are not hiring but we will very soon *RUMOR*. RUMOR* RUMOR* says that wil will be hiring in October/November and our company LOVES guys with 121 experience RUMOR*RUMOR*.

Rumors abound that AMR will be getting rid of ALL the F-100s very soon. That means more furloughs for AA. Anyone at Eagle that is staying there for that long-promised carrot of the flow through is still drinking the Kool-aid.

I left Eagle a year ago, before 9/11. My fellow pilots at Eagle (whom I adore) all warned me that I should stick it out with a "stable" company. Why jump ship for the unknown when I could have the stability of AMR behind me?

It was the best career move I ever made. BTW, the company I jumped ship for did furlough as well, but they recalled within 2 months. I believe the Eagle furloughees have been on the street for nine or ten months now, with no end in site. I guess stability is in the mind of the beholder.

If you have less than three years seniority at Eagle, you'd do better to start over elsewhere and upgrade sooner somewhere else.

AA is not parking the F100. It was a bad rumor. Since force majour is over AA can not furlough without offering early outs up to 450 pilots. If AMR keeps trying to piss off eagle and mainline, there may be hope for one senority list. If (a big if) there ever is one list, I bet you would rethink leaving eagle...

I think it's very sad that so many at Eagle still hold out hope that there will ever be one-list, or that they will ever flow through to American. I hear my friends complain about how much
misery they experience working at Eagle, and then quantify it by saying something to the effect that it will all be worth it if they can just somehow get the one-list deal.

AMR will not benefit from one-list, so why in the world does anyone think it will happen? AMR has what it wants - a contract with Eagle that it can bend anyway they want, at least for another ten years or so.

And no, if one-list happened tomorrow, I would not regret my decision. Just because I am a pilot is no reason to put up with being treated the way Eagle pilots are being treated. My company values me and treats me well - that means more to me than making 200K per year, fighting day-in and day out with management, and having to listen to my crew members gripe about screw scheduling. The only major airline I have ever wanted to work for is Alaska. American just is not the place for me, so I guess I had no motivation to stick it out there making low wages while being an FO for four years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure American is a great airline for the thousands of furloughed and working pilots on the seniority list. But Eagle is not American.

Latest resources

Back