Eagle ready to implode?

RJPilott

Total Time
some
Release # 02.65
July 18, 2002

American Eagle Pilots Protest Transfer of Aircraft and Jobs

EULESS, TX--The following statement was released today by Captain Herb Mark, chairman of the American Eagle unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), in response to the announcement by American Eagle management that it will transfer the aircraft and operation of 14 Embraer 145 jets to Trans States Airlines, an American Connection carrier, in November.

"Our collective bargaining agreement requires that if American Eagle transfers all or part of the airline's operation, our pilots and contract will be transferred with the aircraft. Unless American Eagle management plans to comply with these provisions, their announcement amounts to a declaration of war against the Eagle pilots’ contract.Management’s action, apparently taken to satisfy the obligations of American Airlines under its contract with the Allied Pilots Association, belies the assertion of American Airlines and Eagle managements that the carriers are 'separate' entities for purposes of the Railway Labor Act.

"Eagle management continues to blame the American Airlines pilots' union for the restrictions on flying at American Eagle. This provision was freely negotiated between both parties and should not have come as any surprise to AMR management.

"Eagle and ALPA entered into a highly unusual contract that extends for 16 years. This contract was intended to provide the pilots of American Eagle with long-term job security and competitive pay rates. Instead, management has continued to outsource American Eagle flying to the American Connection and continues to pay wages that are up to 20 percent below average pay scales for pilots of express-type carriers. To date, Eagle has been more than willing to accept the benefits of the contract, but is unwilling to provide the job security guaranteed by the agreement. It is time for Eagle to keep its end of the bargain.”

According to Captain Mark, ALPA is evaluating all legal and political options.

The Air Line Pilots Association, International, represents 66,000 pilots at 43 airlines in the United States and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at http://www.alpa.org.

sabreliner

Total Time
5000+
With such a blatant violation of the Eagle contract, what are you guys hearing from your MEC and ALPA? Any word on the other grievance? I'm curious is self-help will become and option if the company continues to push?

eaglefly

Banned
Total Time
Special ALPA meeting in Herndon this week. Stay tuned. A lot of pilots who were fence sitters are starting to get angry. Bad times ahead at Eagle.

RJPilott

Total Time
some
eaglefly said:
..... Bad times ahead at Eagle.

You'd have to look a LONG way back to find a good time at Eagle. Good Luck to all my Eagle friends!

SFR

Pilot Guy
Total Time
It is a basic answer.....Leave Eagle!!!!! How many more signs/signals does it take? Come on over to ASA or something. Go to EJA.....Even though options are limited, there are better places out there.

cheezpilot

Total Time
Enough
Leaving Eagle seems to be a good option if you are sure of a good move. Most other airlines hiring now have a short upgrade and better life-style. I have friends at Eagle who have been wanting to upgrade and from what it looks like it wont happen for a very LONG time (one is going to be shoved back to reserve jet FO after three and a half years at eagle). Sounds like the three and a half years seniority is useless. You could be a reserve FO on an RJ at a number of regionals as a new hire. I say jump ship to a growing company that is not restricted with scope and is getting more airplanes. All the 121 experience would most likely allow you to have the pick of regionals you want. Just a thought. We have quite a few ex-eagle guys working at Air Wisconsin who were hired pre 9-11 and they all have lines as FO's in the RJ or are junior captains in the turbo-prop. Unfortunately we are not hiring but we will very soon *RUMOR*. RUMOR* RUMOR* says that wil will be hiring in October/November and our company LOVES guys with 121 experience RUMOR*RUMOR*.

English

Total Time
Rumors abound that AMR will be getting rid of ALL the F-100s very soon. That means more furloughs for AA. Anyone at Eagle that is staying there for that long-promised carrot of the flow through is still drinking the Kool-aid.

I left Eagle a year ago, before 9/11. My fellow pilots at Eagle (whom I adore) all warned me that I should stick it out with a "stable" company. Why jump ship for the unknown when I could have the stability of AMR behind me?

It was the best career move I ever made. BTW, the company I jumped ship for did furlough as well, but they recalled within 2 months. I believe the Eagle furloughees have been on the street for nine or ten months now, with no end in site. I guess stability is in the mind of the beholder.

If you have less than three years seniority at Eagle, you'd do better to start over elsewhere and upgrade sooner somewhere else.

ALCOHOLIC

Total Time
AA is not parking the F100. It was a bad rumor. Since force majour is over AA can not furlough without offering early outs up to 450 pilots. If AMR keeps trying to piss off eagle and mainline, there may be hope for one senority list. If (a big if) there ever is one list, I bet you would rethink leaving eagle...

English

Total Time
I think it's very sad that so many at Eagle still hold out hope that there will ever be one-list, or that they will ever flow through to American. I hear my friends complain about how much
misery they experience working at Eagle, and then quantify it by saying something to the effect that it will all be worth it if they can just somehow get the one-list deal.

AMR will not benefit from one-list, so why in the world does anyone think it will happen? AMR has what it wants - a contract with Eagle that it can bend anyway they want, at least for another ten years or so.

And no, if one-list happened tomorrow, I would not regret my decision. Just because I am a pilot is no reason to put up with being treated the way Eagle pilots are being treated. My company values me and treats me well - that means more to me than making 200K per year, fighting day-in and day out with management, and having to listen to my crew members gripe about screw scheduling. The only major airline I have ever wanted to work for is Alaska. American just is not the place for me, so I guess I had no motivation to stick it out there making low wages while being an FO for four years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure American is a great airline for the thousands of furloughed and working pilots on the seniority list. But Eagle is not American.

VMC

Total Time
enough
Here I am sitting in my office after being furloughed from Eagle, making more money in one year that I would have been making at Eagle after 3 1/2 years.

Have I been sending resumes? Yes
Have I gotten responses? Thank you for your resume letters.

Am I going to go back to Eagle? They way things look, I doubt I be in a Jet again.

If any one out there has a connection to someone who could walk in my resume at ASA, ACA or Comair, let me know.

Red Baron

Total Time
Gentlemen,

I did not come to Eagle on the basis of flow-through (or as we call it, the slow-through). Right now, times are not good here nor many other places. The contract signed a few years ago included a flow-back from AA. Good or bad, we are living with it. You made your decisions on your perceived visions of the future. We are hanging tough as the company now continues various tactics to relieve themselves from the scope which they agreed too. 3 years ago, movement here was unbelievable. Moral was high. It was good times at Eagle. Now, we roll with the punches. Eagle gave me opportunity to get my PIC time, and because of that, I am fortunate to be in the pool at SWA. We have a great group of pilots here who will survive, whether they stay or go. Best wishes and happy flying.

Regards,

Red Baron

VMC

Total Time
enough
hey red baron

When I was going to Eagle, I heard mixed reasons on why not to go.
I went anyways since I wanted an office window at 37k. It beats the work in the office with deadlines and voice mail messages.

I felt it was the best move ever to go to Eagle.
Even after being furloughed would I go back? Yes
Making less money? Yes

But, if I found a new home I leave in a split second.
Take care

highflying

Total Time
so why is eagle so backed up and why will they not be hiring and why wont the pilots be upgrading?

Batman

Total Time
Highflying...

Highflying--Do a seach on the general board to find out why Eagle pilots are still on the street.

Last edited:

atpcliff

Total Time
Hi!

Go Air WI. They are almost as good as a major. After Eagle, if you closed your eyes there, you would think you were at SWA!

CLiff
GRB

3HOLER

Total Time
I can't believe what ignorant jackasses most of you ex-Eagle people are. You obviously don't understand what's actually going on here. I don't respect anyone that would make a lateral move in this business. Your resume is going to look flaky and most of you are probably low-timers that think this business owes you something like all these 500 hr wonders that think they should be at a major in six months. Those of us that have been around for more than a year know just how lucky we are to even be in the business. Most of you are mouthing off without knowing squat. You sound like a bunch of spoiled little cry babies. "Come to ASA,ACA,Sky West, Comair, Air Wisconsin." Get real. Like any of those are any better. You should feel **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** kucky that Eagle ever called you for an interview in the first place. Grow up please!

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
I can't believe what ignorant jackasses most of you ex-Eagle people are.

1) Quite clearly, you fall under this "ignorant jacka$s" category...minus the ex-eagle factor.

2) While I understand your frustration, you pretty much just slammed the 304 of us furloughees who have either moved on or are trying desperately to make a "lateral" move just to keep flying. Thanks for that...nothing like getting kicked when you're down.

3) While all airlines have their problems, Eagle is worse than the Comair, ASA, ACA, Air Wis, Skywest squad. Criner's corner today proves it.

FEDUPPILOT

Total Time
forgot
AMEN!!! I agree with positive rate! Ed Criner is such a clown! They think they can make us happy with "recall news" After we got the screwing of a life time!!

Lazyrider

Total Time
2000+
Threeholer:

You stated that you dont have any respect for someone who makes a lateral career move. So Im curious, what do you propose all these ignorant furloughed jackasses should do?
Time to face the facts dude, Eagle's a joke. It's time to start living in the real world, Eagle didnt give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** about me and the feeling is mutual. Dont be bitter or jealous because some of us were lucky enough to get the hell out.