Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle or XJT?

It's not that bad. You just have to do some work while you're down there. Apparently some people didn't get that memo. Fortunately they are starting to see the pass rates improve as of late.

I work at Eagle, and looked hard at expressjet. What it came down to was which one would get me a Chicao base, and it seemed like Eagle would do that. Do not pick a company based on upgrade time, what was two years today could be eight tomorrow, and what is eight years could be two, go to where you will be the happiest, if you are chasing around a quick upgrade you will be searching for a while. If you have any specific questions about Eagle let me know.

If Eagle has a base that you will be happy with, then i would go there. But as for the future. ExpressJet will have you in the left seat about 8 years before Eagle will. My old instructor is at Eagle in the Saab and he said he is looking at 7-8 years to upgrade in the Saab. and the jets are running about 2 years longer than that. ExpressJet is right at 2 years now and is projected to get close to 1.5

oh BTW the playmate thing is for real. I had lunch with her a couple of times at the training center. She is really nice, but trust me you wouldn't reconize her. She has changed alot.

Last edited:
Both are strong companies in the industry, but ExJet has two major things going for it over Eagle: MUCH less time to upgrade and generally better morale. This is a critical year at Exjet and Eagle may be a bit more stable (if there is such a thing in this industry). Look at QOL issues as well such as bases. If you want to live in Chicago and not commute then its a no-brainer--Eagle. If you live in Houston, then Exjet's probably better. Alot of majors haven't hired in many years, so I would probably try to get the PIC jet/turbine ASAP as it is inevitable that they will start hiring in the next couple of years (even with the new age rule). Best of luck in your decision!

If Eagle has a base that you will be happy with, then i would go there. But as for the future. ExpressJet will have you in the left seat about 8 years before Eagle will. My old instructor is at Eagle in the Saab and he said he is looking at 7-8 years to upgrade in the Saab. and the jets are running about 2 years longer than that. ExpressJet is right at 2 years now and is projected to get close to 1.5

oh BTW the playmate thing is for real. I had lunch with her a couple of times at the training center. She is really nice, but trust me you wouldn't reconize her. She has changed alot.
See again someone who just does not understand upgrade times, yes Eagles is long, but let me try and make this plain english. The shortest CA on the EMB was put there at 8yrs and 9 months. he was hired in 98. Eagle did not hire anyone after 9-11 till midway through 04, that means when the last guy from the 01 hiring class upgrades, the upgrade time will drop 25 months over night. Now also look at AA recalling all of their flowback(flowbies) and we lose almost 400 CA's over the next 15 months(400 senior upgrades means about another 22 months worth of upgrades) So if we are not factoring attrition(which will be picking up due to the majors hiring)we are looking at a 4 year upgrade(still long, but that happens when you work for a good company). Sure I may be off a year in one direction or the other, but do the math, it adds up.

siucavflight has it right, don't chase the upgrade time.

XJT is great, and may have 1.5-2 yr upgrades right now. But what happens if CAL decides to pull more 50 seat ERJs out from XJT (reduced capactiy), and instead opt for even more Q400s for Colgan?

I'm sure XJT has put the 69 ERJs to a good use and can continue to do very well, however, as far as stabilitly goes, I'd put my buck on Eagle.

Besides, if *ALL* you care about is *JUST* upgrade time, and you want the FASTEST upgrade to get your 1000 121 PIC turbine time, go to Mesa. Everyone will tell you that you will get treated like crap... most people get their quick upgrade, get PIC turbine time, and move on. If you can put up with Mesa's abuse, go for it.

Yeah at Mesa you can be CA on the 1900 after about 4 months.

Well i really don't need to do a bunch of math. It is pretty simple.

Eagle:
Most junior captain hired: Aug 1999(S340/DFW)

ExpressJet:
Most junior captain hired: Nov 2004 (EWR)

Yeah your right siucavflight. I guess im the one that dosen't understand upgrade times.

Well i really don't need to do a bunch of math. It is pretty simple.

Eagle:
Most junior captain hired: Aug 1999(S340/DFW)

ExpressJet:
Most junior captain hired: Nov 2004 (EWR)

Yeah your right siucavflight. I guess im the one that dosen't understand upgrade times.
Do you think that it is going to stay that way? I am not trying to argue with you, no doubt you go to XJT and you will be CA before you are CA at AME, but there are a lot of other things to consider. And believe me the upgrade times will drop at eagle, a guy hired today at Eagle will make CA in 3-4 years.

Latest resources

Back
Top Bottom