• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle interview on the 4th.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well wait this week there should be an announcement from ALPA and APA. They have reached an agreement about a flow the flow thru letter which will expire in May 08. It also addresses several grievances about the flow thru. ALPA and APA have agreed to something an passed it to AA and AE mgmt.

So the up grade time could start to move quicker. But will have to wait and see.

Yes, what happened?

I've observed on this board since I've been here that the majority of posters are either guys looking for a gouge and leg up to get a foot in the airline industries door, guys with a serious case of "I got mine!! Go get yours!!" attitude, the "OMFG SCABS!!!" crowd, and the "I'm a 22 year old pimple faced sky god!! We're gonna bring ______ to its knees!! They can't treat us like this!! /screech off" posters. In between such, you'll find the occasional helpful post. It is unfortunate that these boards are basically a place for the malcontent to vent and commiserate with other like minded malcontents. The poor kid looking for help getting an airline job probably leaves these boards trying to decide which bridge to go jump from.

I took a six month sabbatical from this place due to its increasing negativity. Something some of you may want to consider.

In reference to the posts by 9rj9 and inthegoo....I agree with Goose Egg 100%. I have the same feelings about flying for a major. Sure I would like for that to be the way my career goes in the future; but more importantly to me it's about quality of life. Being able to be based where I live is paramount to me. Is the industry what it used to be? Not even close....and I'll be one of the first to admit that; however, we all need to keep in perspective why we got into this industry in the first place...our love of flying. This is has been my "little boy dream" and while I will realize that the industry isn't what it's cracked up to be, I can go to my grave knowing that I've accomplished something in my life that I had set out to do. I have no idea if I will make it to age 60 (65?) in this industry. No matter what happens though, I know that I've accomplished something that makes me happy. As I get older my priorities are starting to come into perspective. I cannot wait to be married and have a family of my own. If it were to ever come down to famiily or flying....family would win hands down.

I've lurked around these boards for years now but have only recently begun posting here and there. Why did I not post until now? Because I didn't want to get in the middle of the "days of our flightinfo" drama and be ridiculed for my choice of profession. Reading these forums has been quite discouraging; but, I still press on. If 9rj9 and the likes are so concerned about the state of the industry, rather than discouraging new blood from get into the industry, why not coach and encourage us to change the industry for the better. The industry will never change unless we "learn the ways of the world" from the older retiring folk. What would happen if parents told their kids, "F*#& it! There is no hope and you kids have no future. You better get ready to live on the streets."? --- YOU are the parents and we are the children. Rather than complaining about oakleys, hairstyles and ipods. Encourage us, show us the right way of doing things and show us the way things should be. Do i have the stereotypical "modern" forward facing haircut? Yes, I do... Do I occasionally have highlights? Yes, I do... Do I wear Oakleys? Yes, I do... Do I own an IPOD? Actually I'm probably the only person on the face of the earth that DOESN'T. However, all this doesn't mean that I'm any less professional than someone with a "leave it to beaver" haircut and aviator sunglasses. Styles and fasions change. It doesn't mean professionalism does. It's not a persons fashion statement that determines their level of professionalism. It's their attitude. It's very discouraging when I feel that I'm going to be ostracized for putting on my sunglasses or not parting my hair on the left side.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I know it wasn't very relevant to the post. It's just a few years of pent up aggression from reading posts on flightinfo.

In reference to the latest post by inthegoo...I'm looking for more than just upgrade time. I realize that in the current state of the industry there is a chance that I may never see the cockpit of a "major airline", so therefore my views have changed. I want to be employed by an airline that will give me the best chance of survival. Sure the upgrade time may be long; but at least at Eagle I'm guaranteed to be based in my hometown, they have a decent (relatively speaking) payscale, and slightly better stability due to being owned by AMR corp. I of course realize that things change and things can be sold; but, at least I can cling to a bit of hope that as long as AA is around....so is Eagle. Of course I could go to someplace like Skywest, have a quick upgrade, and STILL be able to be based in Chicago. However, what happens when UAL decides not to sign a new contract when the time comes? My entire QOL could go downhill. I could potentially follow the same fate as the crews at AirWisconsin or worse yet, ACA. I realize that there are never any guarantee's. I'm just trying to do what I feel is best for MY life and choose a regional that I could potentially spend my entire career at. As I mentioned previously, my greatest goal in life is to start and successfully raise my own family. I'm trying to plan my goals in aviation around the aforementioned goal. Not the other way around.

Oh and being fully owned by AMR means I get to tell people I fly for AMERICAN!!! j/k

I was really impressed with AMR and the faculties down in DFW. Everyone was extremely nice and always had a smile on their face. No matter what employee I walked past everyone seemed happy. They took very well care of us. 6 candidates. 2 didn't make it past tech(one having over 1200 multi). After lunch we jumped in the sim (fokker 100) full motion. It was intense and over whelming for me. I've never sat in a cockpit of that scale let a lone fly glass and full motion. We all passed the sim and had the medical the next day. After the medical we were all given conditional offers pending FBI background check and drug tests. Over all great experience and AE seems to be a great company to work for. I am hoping to get a call on Friday. If anyone wants more detail PM me. Thanks for the help. (I so don't want to go back to work tomorrow flight instructing after this experience).

Latest resources

Back