• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle interview on the 4th.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly what documents are you folks referring to?

Hmm... let's see if I can remember them all...

College transcripts (these were the biggest pain)
Copies of college diploma (I have no idea why they needed this)
Driving record for last 5 years (only slightly less painful)
Ten year employment history--typed (not bad once I got going)
Eagle Time Grid (has to balance--pain in the butt!)
Other general paperwork, not too bad

Copies and originals of:

Social Security Card
Birth certificate
Passport
FCC Licesnse
Copies of certs
Medical (make sure it's current class 1)

And logbooks need to be in pretty good shape. They look at them very closely.

Also make sure you come with a list of references with phone and fax numbers. I had like a two week gap where I wasn't employed or in school back in 2004 for, and they wanted a reference for this. (I'm like, two weeks??!! Are you kidding? But I gave them the reference.)

Am I forgetting anything?

-Goose

Thanks Goose Egg. I'm getting ready to apply but don't have the FCC or a Passport. I'm not to worried about the FCC permit but I'm kind of sweating the passport because I know it can take awhile. I was on the phone with the passport office today and they told me three weeks at BEST even if I had it expedited.

I've also heard that they want copies of dental records as well. Is this true? I can't imagine why they would need them. The only thing I could think of is that they want them on file in the event of an "unusually hard, unscheduled, off field landing". It sounds morbid; but it's the only reason I could think of as to why they would want/need them.

...but I'm kind of sweating the passport because I know it can take awhile. I was on the phone with the passport office today and they told me three weeks at BEST even if I had it expedited.

They accept the reciept for a passport for the interview, but the actual passport is required to start training. At least that's what my documentation says.

I've also heard that they want copies of dental records as well. Is this true?

Nope.

-Goose

I think you will regret ever getting into this business. Bottomline, you will bust your ass, be away from home, sleep strange and irregular hours and never be paid much more than a bus driver. "since" you are young and you will be tempted by flying for a major airline thiings will seem not so bad. After a few years you will lose your "will" to do something different and will rely on hope of things gettiing better. Cut your losses no and find a different line of work, the view from the cheap seats is the same at the top.

Yeah...do you mean 2 cents or 2/100ths of 1 cent of information wanted? Theres a big difference and Im not sure Id trust the 2/100ths over the whole 2 cents worth. But ya know, whats a couple of decimal points among friends (or on DME for that matter)? This is my second time posting this because the first one didnt go through...consider it my 2 sents. Also, I used my fingers to type this (feel) and you are using your eyes to read this (sight) so you can consider this 2 sence(s). Just my .02 cents sents sence!

There is 10 seconds I'll never get back.

With all the airlines begging for pilots, why do you want to go to Eagle? Isnt the upgrade there like half a century?

-Goo

"since" you are young and you will be tempted by flying for a major airline thiings will seem not so bad.

I can't speak for others, but I personally have no desire to fly for a major (and that may be precisely why things don't look so bad!) And there's no reason why a regional job needs to be that bad if provisions for a decent QOL are met, i.e. living in domicile, good company, etc. Nothing is going to be perfect though. I think even those "career" jobs won't be perfect.

Anyway, FWIW, from a young guy.

-Goose

In reference to the posts by 9rj9 and inthegoo....I agree with Goose Egg 100%. I have the same feelings about flying for a major. Sure I would like for that to be the way my career goes in the future; but more importantly to me it's about quality of life. Being able to be based where I live is paramount to me. Is the industry what it used to be? Not even close....and I'll be one of the first to admit that; however, we all need to keep in perspective why we got into this industry in the first place...our love of flying. This is has been my "little boy dream" and while I will realize that the industry isn't what it's cracked up to be, I can go to my grave knowing that I've accomplished something in my life that I had set out to do. I have no idea if I will make it to age 60 (65?) in this industry. No matter what happens though, I know that I've accomplished something that makes me happy. As I get older my priorities are starting to come into perspective. I cannot wait to be married and have a family of my own. If it were to ever come down to famiily or flying....family would win hands down.

I've lurked around these boards for years now but have only recently begun posting here and there. Why did I not post until now? Because I didn't want to get in the middle of the "days of our flightinfo" drama and be ridiculed for my choice of profession. Reading these forums has been quite discouraging; but, I still press on. If 9rj9 and the likes are so concerned about the state of the industry, rather than discouraging new blood from get into the industry, why not coach and encourage us to change the industry for the better. The industry will never change unless we "learn the ways of the world" from the older retiring folk. What would happen if parents told their kids, "F*#& it! There is no hope and you kids have no future. You better get ready to live on the streets."? --- YOU are the parents and we are the children. Rather than complaining about oakleys, hairstyles and ipods. Encourage us, show us the right way of doing things and show us the way things should be. Do i have the stereotypical "modern" forward facing haircut? Yes, I do... Do I occasionally have highlights? Yes, I do... Do I wear Oakleys? Yes, I do... Do I own an IPOD? Actually I'm probably the only person on the face of the earth that DOESN'T. However, all this doesn't mean that I'm any less professional than someone with a "leave it to beaver" haircut and aviator sunglasses. Styles and fasions change. It doesn't mean professionalism does. It's not a persons fashion statement that determines their level of professionalism. It's their attitude. It's very discouraging when I feel that I'm going to be ostracized for putting on my sunglasses or not parting my hair on the left side.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I know it wasn't very relevant to the post. It's just a few years of pent up aggression from reading posts on flightinfo.

In reference to the latest post by inthegoo...I'm looking for more than just upgrade time. I realize that in the current state of the industry there is a chance that I may never see the cockpit of a "major airline", so therefore my views have changed. I want to be employed by an airline that will give me the best chance of survival. Sure the upgrade time may be long; but at least at Eagle I'm guaranteed to be based in my hometown, they have a decent (relatively speaking) payscale, and slightly better stability due to being owned by AMR corp. I of course realize that things change and things can be sold; but, at least I can cling to a bit of hope that as long as AA is around....so is Eagle. Of course I could go to someplace like Skywest, have a quick upgrade, and STILL be able to be based in Chicago. However, what happens when UAL decides not to sign a new contract when the time comes? My entire QOL could go downhill. I could potentially follow the same fate as the crews at AirWisconsin or worse yet, ACA. I realize that there are never any guarantee's. I'm just trying to do what I feel is best for MY life and choose a regional that I could potentially spend my entire career at. As I mentioned previously, my greatest goal in life is to start and successfully raise my own family. I'm trying to plan my goals in aviation around the aforementioned goal. Not the other way around.

Oh and being fully owned by AMR means I get to tell people I fly for AMERICAN!!! j/k

Last edited:
Well judging by your s/n it's not too difficult to figure out where you went to school :). So, I just want to wish a fellow "Flyer" good luck. Hopefully I'll be right behind you very shortly.

What year did you graduate? Were you ever a CFI there? I couldn't of said it any better in your previous post.

Last edited:
I think you will regret ever getting into this business. Bottomline, you will bust your ass, be away from home, sleep strange and irregular hours and never be paid much more than a bus driver. "since" you are young and you will be tempted by flying for a major airline thiings will seem not so bad. After a few years you will lose your "will" to do something different and will rely on hope of things gettiing better. Cut your losses no and find a different line of work, the view from the cheap seats is the same at the top.

You basically summed it up. By the time you have enough PIC time to get to the majors, the majors will be paying $70/hr for a narrow body Captain. It will only get worse. After the initial thrill of flying for the airline wears off, you'll hate it. Get out before it's too late, and you lose what's left of your brain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back