• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nOBODY gives a *poopy* about the crj strobes triple niple seven

this is an eeeeeeeeee emmmm beeee juan nytey diskushun

yes they are berry birte

They're powered by the tears of better qualified mainline pilots...

They're powered by the tears of better qualified mainline pilots...

that's funny. Yeah I don't know why more people don't wait till they're cleared for takeoff.

Some places have them on the checklist but exercise a little discretion- turn everything on except strobes and then flick it when you power up.

Course if you know Ogjets is behind you, then have at it. Turn em on early.

It really varies by airline. UAL, Jetblue, DAL all get that stuff on when cleared into position. AA and CAL turn them on with takeoff clearance. Usually it's no big deal... I never really paid attention until this week with the Jetblue E190 at night. I only brought it up because those are the brightest strobes I've ever seen by far. (The 777 comes close.)

For the record I do believe it's safer to have the strobes on while on the runway. Past accidents confirm this. Just a little discretion and awareness if you do fly this type of aircraft goes a long way. As I mentioned, a good compromise would be to turn them on once you are lined up on centerline, this way they are shining behind you (where it matters most.)

Not sure why some here are turning this into a regional/mainline issue... last I checked, the E jets are flown by both...

I have an idea, don't stare at the strobes when they're turned on. Anything that lights up an aircraft on an active runway at busy, and for that matter less busy airports as well, is a good idea.

Latest resources

Back