• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

E170/175/190 strobes...daaaaang!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are they supercharged with turbo neon gas or something? Could you guys maybe hold off on turning those on at night until you get out on the runway and not RIGHT WHEN the controller tells you "position and hold?" We now have permanent flash damage on the rear cockpit bulkhead of N394AA thanks to Jetblue strobe paranoia.

Yeah, I know.... runway safety, the USAir/Skywest LAX deal, etc.... it all makes sense but a little judgment, compromise and common sense go a long way. Such as, when nobody's landing on JFK 31L (only 31R), maybe you could wait till you get lined up? That way, your strobes are still on while on the runway to alert an approaching aircraft's incorrect 31L lineup while respecting the night vision of those
behind you.

A comprimise sounds great. Perhaps you guys could taxi a little faster than 3kts. Thanks for making me miss my already jacked up commute.

A comprimise sounds great. Perhaps you guys could taxi a little faster than 3kts. Thanks for making me miss my already jacked up commute.

I'll pass your request, and all-important commute, to the captain. But something tells me that taxi speed is probably inversely proportionate to the company's willingness to sit down at the bargaining table with us. I'm sure you'll fully understand when your pilot group comes up for contract renewal. In the meantime, by all means ask ground to taxi around us. We'll gladly give way.

Now back to strobes....

I have an idea, don't stare at the strobes when they're turned on. Anything that lights up an aircraft on an active runway at busy, and for that matter less busy airports as well, is a good idea.

Wow, genius idea! We'll just make sure we all crane our necks sideways when we think the strobes will come on. How about a "code word" that will alert the pilots behind them that they're about to blind us, so we can all look away. Maybe we can even move up while looking sideways using our peripheral vision. Because, Heaven forbid pilots use a little common sense, good judgment and courtesy.

Re-read my post. I clearly agree with keeping lights on while on the runway. I just think folks who fly E-jets can maybe wait till they're lined up before switching them on.

I'll pass your request, and all-important commute, to the captain. But something tells me that taxi speed is probably inversely proportionate to the company's willingness to sit down at the bargaining table with us. I'm sure you'll fully understand when your pilot group comes up for contract renewal. In the meantime, by all means ask ground to taxi around us. We'll gladly give way.

Now back to strobes....

I knew that was coming and I fully understand your point. When I'm not commuting I actually don't mind the slow taxi speeds. I'm paid by the minute. I hope you get your contract sorted out. Unfortunately 67% of my fellow JetBlue pilots are happy with their lot so I actually may have to also drastically reduce my taxi speeds. Once again, good luck with the contract. And for the record I normally wait until I am lined up on the runway before I turn on those damn strobes.

Last edited:
Wow, genius idea! We'll just make sure we all crane our necks sideways when we think the strobes will come on. How about a "code word" that will alert the pilots behind them that they're about to blind us, so we can all look away. Maybe we can even move up while looking sideways using our peripheral vision. Because, Heaven forbid pilots use a little common sense, good judgment and courtesy.

Re-read my post. I clearly agree with keeping lights on while on the runway. I just think folks who fly E-jets can maybe wait till they're lined up before switching them on.

What makes you think my response was primarily for you? Don't be so sensitive. I am considerate and don't turn them on until lined up. But I do turn them on once lined up and chuckle every time I hear some idiot say "nice strobes". My responsibility for the safety of the passengers and employees on board is more important than any concern I might have for your retinas if you elect to stare at my wingtips.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
What makes you think my response was primarily for you? Don't be so sensitive. I am considerate and don't turn them on until lined up. But I do turn them on once lined up and chuckle every time I hear some idiot say "nice strobes". My responsibility for the safety of the passengers and employees on board is more important than any concern I might have for your retinas if you elect to stare at my wingtips.
Enjoy your day.

Well, considering that you posted right after I did kind of clued me in you were referring to my subject.

Where have I said anything about not conforming to safety? If you reread my post for the umpteenth time, you'll note (FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME!) that I condone safety by having strobes ON while on the runway. Just don't turn them on until you are lined up, this way you embrace safety (strobes flashing behind you, where they are most visible to incoming aircraft) while maintaining some courtesy for your fellow pilots, especially at night. You happen to be flying an aircraft with uncommonly powerful strobes... a little SA goes a long way. This is a good compromise, IMO.

Good day to you sir. Officially desensitized now. :cool:

One night in PIT, a 757 taxied onto the runway at night. Of course they turned on their strobes crossing the line. A Mesa 1900 was next in line and one of the pilots kept saying OW .. OW each time they flashed. It was pretty hilarious and the best part was the 757 didn't have a clue.

A new record for staying on topic has been set!!!

Even with the tears and milk comments!!

One night in PIT, a 757 taxied onto the runway at night. Of course they turned on their strobes crossing the line. A Mesa 1900 was next in line and one of the pilots kept saying OW .. OW each time they flashed. It was pretty hilarious and the best part was the 757 didn't have a clue.

MESA SUCKS!!!

(sorry, I had to blow the staying on topic deal)

Latest resources

Back