Dual Rated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AKAAB

I got tired of seeing Silverstate's name every time I opened up FI, so I thought I'd add a new thread to bump it down.

So, sing out if you dual rated. I you are currently flying a fixed-wing, when was the last time you flew a rotorcraft?

Me - Currently on an Airbus. Last helo - nine years ago. It was an S-76 (for the PBI Sikorsky guys) as a guinea pig for a test of a differential GPS based approach system they were designing.

I'm Jonesing to get back in a helicopter, but the bucks are keeping me tied to big runways.

Not dual rated yet, but I've got the loan paper work in the other room to go do my Commercial add-on in a R22.

Gah, I've wanted to fly rotors for a LONG time, but have never had the opportunity. Then, a few weeks back, my wife and I are watching something on TV about helicopters, and I mention that I've wanted to do that. She, without hesitation, told me to do it! I just don't know if I can justify taking out a $17,000 loan "Just 'cause."

I told her that I wouldn't really be able to use it for anything, as I'm fully committed to a fixed-wing life, but she thinks it would be a good thing to have. I fly King Airs for an EMS company that has a lot of A-Stars, and I told her there's no way I'd ever get into one of them, lol. She still insists that it could help someday!

What a woman! I'm a lucky guy! :D

I did the commercial rotorcraft add on with the eventual hope that there would be some great EMS jobs when the civilian tiltrotor made it to the market. It hasn't, but I did have an interesting job flying a JetStar and an S-76 because of the rating.

I say get it if you can. You never know what doors will open for you.

Im currently on the bus as well and I fly a R-44 just about every day off. I could never afford to rent one, so i partnered up, and I teach in it... I usually cant wait to fly the helo....

I started in helicopters in the US Army and while in l learned to fly fixed-wing on my own off base. Currently I'm flying a Gulfstream G-IV. I haven't flown a helicopter in eight years and miss the
versatility and capabilities of flying them.

I got my private add-on in Dec. I am working on my commercial add-on, and should have it by the end of summer. I have about 90 hrs in a R-22. In the begining the R-22 was insane to fly, but I was able to hover it around 6-7 hrs and solo in 25 hrs. Now it's pretty easing to fly and tons of fun. At BFI it is actually cheaper to fly a R-22 than a C-182. But of course the R-22 is more limited on what you can do vs the 182. I don't want to spend rental $ on fixed wing anymore. I am considering going to CA and getting my commercial add-on in a Bell 47. That would be cool. If a rotor gig ever opened up I would strongly consider making the switch.

Dual Rated here also.

Both have great benefits.

I currently have the best of both worlds...in a sense:
Flying part 121 and RW in the Guard. I never get bored. If a Good RW gig presents itself I would probably take RW over the FW flying I have done to date.

I have a question for you guys. The boss might add a helo soon something like a agusta 109. What kind of experience in rotors does the insurance company like to see. Part 91 only.

I have a question for you guys. The boss might add a helo soon something like a agusta 109. What kind of experience in rotors does the insurance company like to see. Part 91 only.

It is really going to depend on your insurance carrier and your relationship with them. Plus the pilot's helicopter certificates and ratings and experience. Commercial cert is a given. The lower the pilot experience, the more the insurance company will want to see. Heli Instrument, CFI, factory school, etc. They may require factory school and/or 100 hours or so with a pilot experienced in type. It all really depends.

Latest resources

Back