Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How drunk?

There are so many levels of drunk.

Irrelevant. Either he's drunk or he isn't.
Even though this guys actions are unexcusable, this is a sickness.....
True, but there are multiple avenues for pilots to get help. Any pilot with this sickness who refuses to seek help and climbs into a cockpit drunk just crossed the line between where we should have sympathy for him and where we should be disgusted with him.

Breathalyzers on the start levers... That would work.
...or you guys could start acting like professional pilots.
Agreed.

Irrelevant. Either he's drunk or he isn't.
True, but there are multiple avenues for pilots to get help. Any pilot with this sickness who refuses to seek help and climbs into a cockpit drunk just crossed the line between where we should have sympathy for him and where we should be disgusted with him.

Agreed.

Let me give you a piece of advice regarding Chef's posts... his sarcasm meter goes all the way up to 11. Most stop at 10, but his goes to 11 and it's fabulous. Yes. That's right. I said fabulous.

Aaaah the idiot from behind the computer. Taking a break from behind the boyfriend?

So is being stupid. You've obviously mastered that!

Wow, Simple Simon. Good one's. I'm an idiot, stupid and gay. You must have strained for several hours to come up with that.

Still, I know it's the best you've got.

H1N1 = sickness
Drunk = weakness

Leukemia = sickness
Obese = weakness

Measles = sickness
Meth head = weakness

Chicken pox = sickness
Posting on FI = weakness

Get it apologists?

This is now getting attention you guys don't want. They're talking about breathalyzers, and it wouldn't surprise me to see some new legislation on this. Does anybody see how gov't works? They let you regulate yourselves until you prove you can't, then they step in. Just a thought for the day.

Your neurology determines how addictive you are to alcohol or any addictive substance. The 'weak' (as you put it) MUST actually be stronger than those who aren't afflicted. It requires much more will power and inner strength to abstain for someone who is predisposed to this illness than not. All addictions are illnesses. Addictions manifest themselves from genetic variances. For the most part, those who are forced to deal with their demons (by no choice of their own) are almost destined to abuse substances.

Our biology, chemistry and neurology drive our social behaviors. Instinctual needs brought on by our physical state precede all our social manifestations. Your body is hungry; thus, you eat. You bowels need some movement; hence, you find a toilet. Social conduct and behavior are the end points of your bodies need.

Occasionally, it is a break down in adherence to social norms, but for the vast majority of sufferers, it is driven by their need to chronically self-medicate. Essentially, THAT is what is taking place. Substances are used in lieu of medicines to tamp down feelings which are not present in those who do not posses addictive urges.

Just to let you all in on a little secret – England’s alcohol limits for working crewmembers are ½ the legal limit in the US.

Many US pilots are not aware of the UK’s lower limits. They have a few cold ones thinking they are OK. Now combine that lack of knowledge with the time zone change and we have a receipt for disaster. The same strategy that works for pilots laying over in the US will not work in the UK.

Security personnel are actively looking for crewmembers that may be over the limit. In addition, there are cameras everywhere in London, including the pubs.

Be careful out there. We need to get the word out for US pilots flying into the UK. This is the third pilot of a major carrier busted this year flying out of Heathrow.

AA767AV8TOR

Your neurology determines how addictive you are to alcohol or any addictive substance. The 'weak' (as you put it) MUST actually be stronger than those who aren't afflicted. It requires much more will power and inner strength to abstain for someone who is predisposed to this illness than not. All addictions are illnesses. Addictions manifest themselves from genetic variances. For the most part, those who are forced to deal with their demons (by no choice of their own) are almost destined to abuse substances.

Our biology, chemistry and neurology drive our social behaviors. Instinctual needs brought on by our physical state precede all our social manifestations. Your body is hungry; thus, you eat. You bowels need some movement; hence, you find a toilet. Social conduct and behavior are the end points of your bodies need.

Occasionally, it is a break down in adherence to social norms, but for the vast majority of sufferers, it is driven by their need to chronically self-medicate. Essentially, THAT is what is taking place. Substances are used in lieu of medicines to tamp down feelings which are not present in those who do not posses addictive urges.

Exactly. Self-medicate your WEAKNESSES. Dealing with deamons is not an illness. It is weakness.

The talking head on the t.v. stated a crew member turned him in but we all know how accurate the media is on aviation stories

Hadn't heard that, but it does make you wonder... IF he was indeed drunk enough for a screener to notice during a brief interaction, did the rest of his crew not notice during the van ride from the hotel? Sure he could have taken a cab alone and not interacted with anyone else, but wouldn't it be more likely that he chatted with the crew in the hotel while waiting for the van, etc? I'd be disappointed if the crew knew and wasn't going to stop him.

If he's innocent, I hope he walks. If he's not, he should hang, whether it's a sickness or weakness.

Looks like he was not a Sc$b.

M

Last edited:
Alcolism is a sickness. First, you have no clue whether this pilot is an alcoholic. Second, even if he is and is "sick", he wasn't sick when he decided to go fly an airplane. Third, if you're sick....get help......that's what the rest of us have to do.
Everyone, sick or not, is responsible for their actions.

I wish no ill will on this pilot or any other who gets caught doing something illegal. But i'm damn sure glad he was caught.

Latest resources

Back